Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RRP rear shock maintenance  (Read 562 times)

Offline Rally Raid

• Approved Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
Re: RRP rear shock maintenance
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 04:57:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
Hello RRP owners! I'd like to share some thoughts about my experience with RRP Level 1 rear shock after 2 years of very intense use.

I installed it on my beloved CB500X and the first 20000 km it was silky smooth. The problems started when I made 22000 km - uncontrolled rear wheel hops on rugged tarmac and pogoing in corners. I swaped back to the stock rear shock and the problem dissapeared. I'm aware that RRP recommends to overhaul the rear shock every 30000 km but in my case only 22000km was enough to KOing the rear suspension. I should state that I never did offroad with my CB500X - only tarmac roads, most of them in very poor condition and at very fast pace. Anyway - still thought that 22000 is way too early for the rear shock wear.

I wrote to Tractive asking for maintenance service - I live in Spain and I was expecting they indicates me the manner to do it - sending it to the Tractive, to their authorised dealer in Spain or any other option. They never replied me and finally I found near Madrid a suspension tuning workshop where I could overhaul it for 130 euros.

Even so - 130 euros every 22000 km seems to be a lot for a rear shock that costs about 500 euros and it's supposed to be reliable enough to withstand the offroad abuse. All of this taking in account that you couldn't make the overhaul by yourself - I have not met anyone until now who has a nitrogen charge equipment in their house or garage. So you need to remove the shock from your bike, take it to the workshop, install it again, etc.

Meanwhile my RRP shock is awaiting the repair in my kitchen and I'm still thinking if it worths the money it costs  - now I'm using the stock rear shock and while it works well I'll continue with it. And I'm seriously considering to buy a Wilbers full adjustable shock for the next year. 

Regards!

Hi,
We, here at Rally Raid Products, do not seem to have a record of your problem with the Level 1 Tractive shock you speak about.
Did you send an e-mail to us notifying us of the problem, we offer a 2 year warranty support with all Tractive products, and have all the workshop equipment here in the UK to repair and service the units.

regards
John Mitchinson

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rally Raid [+]
Hi,
We, here at Rally Raid Products, do not seem to have a record of your problem with the Level 1 Tractive shock you speak about.
Did you send an e-mail to us notifying us of the problem, we offer a 2 year warranty support with all Tractive products, and have all the workshop equipment here in the UK to repair and service the units.

regards
John Mitchinson

Hello John! Well - I wrote to Tractive, not to Rally Raid products - thats my fault. And I didn't knew that there is 2 year warranty for the shock - if I had known that before I would be calmer. It was quite frustrating to remove the shock and can't be able to discover the reason of the problem. So I really aprecciate your collaboration - the shock was bought 30 November 2017 so 2 year warranty is a very good news for me. 

Can you confirm please that info@rally-raidproducts.co.uk is the correct email adress to contact you?

Best regards,

Timur Aytmuratov

Offline Rally Raid

• Approved Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »
If anyone purchases from us, then the first response for any problems or queries is with the supplier of your order, not the manufacturer, which is Rally Raid, not Tractive.
Tractive Suspension, along with many other of our suppliers, are trade-to-trade companies, and as such do not have facilities to respond to third-party customers, that is why we are the Tractive/Touratech Sales and Service Centre for the UK, we have the equipment  and training to support the products for our customers.
In the very few cases where we have had problems with the suspension, and it is a very few cases, we have rectified them as possible, even to the point of shipping loan suspension units to customers that are on long trips and cannot afford to be without a shock.
We normally recommend a service on the shock if it is over 30,000 km if it is used heavily, or probably nearer to 50,000 km for just rode use. We have had 2 shock absorbers that have done nearly 80,000 km on and off road with heavy luggage and have had no problems. We offered to service these to investigate them  long-term where any wear may have occurred internally and returned these to Tractive in the Netherlands and apart from the usual wearing on bushes and seals they have been found to be in excellent working condition.
The two year warranty is advertised on all of our tractive products as below:
2 year TracTive warranty

Rally-Raid Products Ltd are the UK distributor for Tractive Suspension, and also their nominated Service Agent in the UK, with all necessary tools and equipment to offer buyers a complete technical service and repair facility. This includes stocking all genuine Tractive Suspension shock absorber spare parts, along with their own design of vacuum pump, to enable the shock to be bled 100% when re-filling with oil.

If you email us and arrange to ship the shock to us we will investigate the problem and service the unit while it is with us.

I am sorry that you feel you had to go onto the forum to get a response, but we always ask our customers to email us directly in the first instance with their problems, we cannot expect to monitor all of the forums all the time and respond in a timely manner.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:22:44 PM by Rally Raid »

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 08:51:03 PM »
Timur, I think I have to add my story here to adjust the overall picture a bit.
RR is a small company, and sometimes they're overwhelmed by work.
However I'm sure they stand begind their products.
Unfortunately my L2 shock failed after about 30k miles too. I've bought the bike used, and based on the overall condition of the bike I don't think that the previous owner took really good care of it in general. It has also started with the dramatic loss of damping and later a leak on the connecting hose. First  I've reached out to RR via email, and waited for an answer for a few days or a week. Later I've called in, and got John on the line. After hearing my problem John has sourced and sent a brand new hydraulic line with all the necessary fittings and o rings to me without any cost. So they totally stand behind their products even if it takes some time to get there.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:54:59 PM by Oyabun »

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Timur, I think I have to add my story here to adjust the overall picture a bit.
RR is a small company, and sometimes they're overwhelmed by work.
However I'm sure they stand begind their products.
Unfortunately my L2 shock failed after about 30k miles too. I've bought the bike used, and based on the overall condition of the bike I don't think that the previous owner took really good care of it in general. It has also started with the dramatic loss of damping and later a leak on the connecting hose. First  I've reached out to RR via email, and waited for an answer for a few days or a week. Later I've called in, and got John on the line. After hearing my problem John has sourced and sent a brand new hydraulic line with all the necessary fittings and o rings to me without any cost. So they totally stand behind their products even if it takes some time to get there.

Hello Oyabun! I'm agree with you - the live of little companies sometimes is very stressfull. I wrote yesterday to RRP and now I'm awaiting the reply - hopefully soon we'll discover the exact cause of the problem. Sending the shock to RRP facilities could be the best option.

Regards

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
Well - after contacted with John I should state that the reaction of RRP team was exceptionally good. I sent my shock to RRP facilities where it has been revised and inspectioned and now the shock is going back to Spain. The revision has been charge free so I'd like to express publicly my appreciations to John and Jenny for their collaboration - I'm pleasantly suprised  :158: .

And it's fair to recognise that had I contacted directly with RRP this topic wouldn't been existed so part of my frustration comes from my own actions. Anyway, the problem is solved and I'm impatient to receive and mounting again my RRP shock.

Best regards.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:16:10 PM by timur »

Recent Topics