Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Why did my motor shut off at 50 miles/hr..?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline scharfg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Several......
Why did my motor shut off at 50 miles/hr..?
« on: July 22, 2019, 07:42:11 AM »
I have a 2013 with 1000 miles and I just installed a used fuel pump because I could see bubbles coming out of my original fuel pump when I looked into the aftermarket clear tank.  I also installed a new battery last fall and the bike was stored in a heated attached garage all winter.  When I looked at the bike this spring the battery was dead so I put it on a battery tender and it would only charge to 3/4.

I went for a test ride and was going up a moderate paved hill at 50 miles/hr and my rear tire locked up because my engine stopped.

I pulled the clutch in and coasted to the road side and all looked well so I started the bike and carried on again, about 15 minutes later my motor stopped again and I coasted to the curb.  The bike would not start because there was not enough power in the battery to turn the motor over.

I trailered the bike home and it did start (barely had enough juice to turn the motor over).

I put the battery tester on it and it showed 1/2 full at 12.1 volts.

I started the bike with the battery checker plugged in and it showed 14V when running.

The 12V female cig socket I installed also has a USB port on it with a small blue LED light to show it has power, could that be draining my battery?

Is my battery pooched or....?

Why did the motor stall if it is showing 14V when its running, is the alternator okay....?

I was going to go on a 1 week ride tomorrow but will have to park the CRF and take my CB500X until I can figure this out as I can't have the engine stopping on the road!!

Thanks in advance for your help (yes I'm a mechanical newb)!
From Icky Prince George BC

Offline glencoeman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
Re: Why did my motor shut off at 50 miles/hr..?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »
Which bike are you talking about - the CRF or the CB500? On your write up, it sounds like you are having problems with the CRF. The problem could be the battery or fuel pump/blocked fuel filter.

Offline scharfg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
Sorry my bad, I meant the CRF250L.....

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
Since the battery is only charging halfway, this may be due to a short in the electrical system which is draining the battery to the point that the electrical system can no longer produce enough of a charge to run the ignition system. A test is to remove the positive battery cable and connect it to the black lead of a voltmeter set to AMPS (you are looking for draw, not pressure). Connect the red lead of the voltmeter to the positive post of the battery. If you see a reading of more than a few milliamps, there is a draining short somewhere in the system. Then remove each fuse in turn to see which circuit has the short (I'm assuming this bike has fuses!). If the reading is very high, suspect a failed alternator (some internal short).
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline scharfg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 01:22:24 PM »
Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try.  Yes the bike has fuses.

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 05:34:00 PM »
The bike restarted the first time on the side of the road. So at that point since the battery had enough power to start the bike it had enough to run the ignition/electronics. And it started again when you got home (although barely) so I don't think it's an electrical issue that's causing it to stop running. I would think it's a fuel supply issue. It does sound like you need to replace the battery since it's not taking or holding a full charge. Is the used fuel pump the only change you've made to the fuel system recently, or is the tank also new? If you've been running that tank awhile with no problems and made no other changes then I'd suggest the fuel pump is probably the culprit. You may be experiencing a vapor lock, the fuel pump overheating or failing for some other reason. Other than bubbles in the tank did your bike run okay with the old fuel pump? If so put it back in and see if it's still stalls. If not continue to use your old fuel pump or buy a new one.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 07:09:20 PM »
Hi, I've had first hand experience of the bike (ybr125) randomly cutting out due to a faulty battery. I used to think once the engine was running that the alternator would supply all of the power. Wrong.

Yes the USB adaptor uses power all of the time even when nothing is plugged in to it. Mine comes with a switch to turn it off. I have forgotten to turn it off for a night and suffered no problems.
You can get cigarette voltmeter. Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/RKURCK-Universal-Cigarette-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B07GCDKFR3/ref=sr_1_22?crid=3T4P7SDSBO4&keywords=12v+voltmeter&qid=1563818049&s=gateway&sprefix=12v+vo%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-22
It makes it easier to monitor whilst riding.

Might be worth wiggling the wiring to the side stand switch whilst the engine is running.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline scharfg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »
Thanks all for the additional diagnostic help.

Heres some more background info that may help.

I bought the bike in November 2017 with 1000 miles, it sat all winter with no use in an attached gurage.

Spring of 2018 I replaced the battery and the fuel tank with a larger clear one.  Unfortunately the fuel pump fell off the bike onto the cement garage floor as I was changing out the tank (I have a black cloud over me when it comes to mechanical things), it looked okay.

I put the original fuel pump in the new tank and started the bike, when I looked inside the tank I Saw bubbles coming out of the fuel pump body, under the gas in the top left corner.

I got frustrated and left the bike after doing some internet research(we dont have a good bike mechanic in town).  I did not want to run the bike for fear of running it too lean.

So this winter I bought a used fuel pump off an eBay bike dealer.

I noticed the battery was flat in the spring (despite getting 1 house of trickle charge every day), so I put it on the charger overnight but it was only 3/4 by morning which seemed strange.

I installed the used fuel pump and noticed it also created bubbles but they seemed to be a bit smaller so I thought this was the norm.

So then I test rode it last night and encountered the engine stopping  problems.

Both times I was running the bike in acceleration mode.

I was able to run it up to 60 miles per hour for a few minutes without it stopping.

When it stopped it was sudden (like flicking a switch, it did not sputter or buck like running out of fuel), so Im thinking its electrical...?

I will have a chance to do the volt/amp/alternator meter test and different battery test when Im back next week.

Stand by.....

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by scharfg [+]
Spring of 2018 I replaced the battery and the fuel tank with a larger clear one.

I can't get my head round that - what is "a clear one" ?
Brian.

Offline scharfg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 03:15:30 PM »
The opaque IMS type plastic tank.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage