Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Worth the Wait  (Read 435 times)

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
Worth the Wait
« on: July 31, 2019, 10:44:31 PM »
After 10 weeks of waiting, sometimes impatiently, the last 2 bits (front axle spacers) for my Rally Raid Level 2 build arrived this morning. After a 100 mile test spin, I claim it ready to go. :028:

This bike was fun to ride before, but it's a whole new beast now. Many to thanks to Rally Raid, Liz in particular, for courteously replying to my emails and for their superb service. 3 days from England to my door in NC - unbelievable. Also thanks to Jenny Morgan for her many posts.

In all it's glory  :001:

Purchasing a low mileage 2013 with the intent of Rally Raiding it - or selling it right away, I was really impressed how fun the bike was to ride in it's stock set-up. If I hadn't had a plan to make a top middle weight adventure tourer, I might have been temped to just farkle it and leave it stock. But, after riding about 1,000 miles the first week I owned it, I knew that I had to send Rally Raid a lot of my money.

While I waited, I rode it and installed accessories that I knew I wanted on the final product. I plan to take this bike all over the U.S. and Canada so I know what I wanted to install. Some of the installations were a little more difficult than I expected, due to the small stature of the bike. But all challenges were overcome and I really think that sitting in my shop is maybe the best middleweight adventure tourer you can buy/build. I'll have more to say on that after my first multi-thousand mile trip. I think about the only thing I have left to figure out is my aux lighting. I'll either buy another set of Clearwater Darla's or take the set off my Versys 1000LT should I decide to sell it. Otherwise, I'm ready to roll  :152:

That handlebar is a little crowded, but I'm looking for a way to carry my Spot on my body (like you should). 
Here's what I've added to the stock CB500X:
Rally Raid Level 2 w/wheels
Shinko 804/805 tires
Fork gaitors
Complete homemade windscreen modification (needed to get handlebar lock)
Renthal Fat Bar
Barkbusters / Storm handguards
Short levers
Kaoko Throttle Lock (major modification, filed/ground about 1/2 of the shaft away in order to fit inside the Fat Bar)
Oxford heated grips (I'll probably replace the throttle side, screwed up the positioning on install. It works, but is annoying)
RR triple tree accessory plate
Voltmeter w/USB plugs
Cigarette lighter plug (don't know what I'll ever use that for, but I needed to fill the extra hole)
Gear Indicator (cheap Chinese model that was on the bike - but I like it..)
Garmin Zumo 396 (juries out on this, so far it's good though)
Eastern Beaver wiring harness
SW-Motech EVO Pannier rack
Happy Trails Owyhee Panniers (great for 90% of my riding, I've used them for years, but I'm looking to get a Giant Loop Coyote or something similar for off pavement treks)
Two Brothers exhaust
Hyperlites brake light add-ons
Giant Loop Diablo Tank bag

Hopefully most of my future posts will be in the Ride Reports, Trips and Touring Section  :306:

Final thoughts, and I'll edit this in a few thousand miles if warranted, was the Rally Raid upgrade worth the cost?
Yes
I can't yet speak to the off-pavement capability that I should now have, but I do have over 1,000 miles on the Level 2 suspension w/my stock 17" wheels. So, I'll update the off-pavement chops after I get some.  What I will say is that one of the primary criticisms of the stock CB is a harsh suspension, I noticed that, didn't find if terrible. But, after the RR suspension upgrade - wow.  Huge difference. I would absolutely recommend that anybody who loves their CBX consider the Level 1 kit, on your stock wheels. You don't know what you don't know and you will find the suspension difference eye opening - and installing it is very straight forward. 

Happy riding, see you in Ride Reports, Trips and Touring

Just damn happy to be here...

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Worth the Wait
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 11:49:23 PM »
Looking forward to the ride reports!

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 12:12:10 AM »
Me too. Thanks

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »
Looks great! Enjoy the machine. Had a great experience with RR while putting mine together a few months back. Promptly took it on a 2 week trip and am very satisfied with my decision.

PS. Just started fiddling with the HS and LS settings on the shock. It makes quite a difference. I'd recommend giving it a whirl if you haven't already.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 12:53:59 AM »
Thanks ThirtyOne, l will. I know a little less than squat about shock set up, so I'll play with it after a few miles. I saw your posts about your arriving parts while I was anxiously awaiting mine.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 02:48:38 AM »
The bike looks great Toad' - glad I/we have been able to help you get it all together the way you want it!

With regard to a SPOT - do you wear a Camelbak when touring? - if so I'd recommend the Giant Loop Tracker-Packer... it's basically a velcro cuff that securely holds the SPOT device (they do a version for the InReach too), and you can wrap it directly around your upper arm, or equally a back-pack/Camelbak strap so it's easy to reach (with one hand) and on your person in case you get separated from the bike as you surmise.

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/tracker-packer/

Have fun, and looking forward to hearing all about those planned adventures!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
With regard to a SPOT - do you wear a Camelbak when touring? - if so I'd recommend the Giant Loop Tracker-Packer...

Thanks JMo. I am familiar with the Giant Loop Tracker-Packer, but I'm using a Gen 1 Spot :114:. Yeah, really. I bought one when they first came out, just never had a reason to upgrade it.

Offline Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Southwater
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »
Nice ride.

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile