Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best Seat for 2015 cb500x?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Kyouma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: DFW
Best Seat for 2015 cb500x?
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
After riding with my dad for an hour I started noticing discomfort in the seat, do you guys have any suggestions for a new seat? Thanks.
Smile

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Re: Best Seat for 2015 cb500x?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 06:03:54 PM »
Hi Kyouma and welcome.
Your backside is a very personal shape and what is a joy for someone else may not be so good for you.
So be wary of buying off the shelf products unless you can return them easily.

Any custom seat builders near you?
One you can visit. They'll see you sat on the bike and see what needs doing. You should be able to test ride and get them to adjust before leaving. The most expensive option. Not transferable to a different bike.

A cheaper option would be a furniture upholsterer. Quality should be just as good but unless they do bike seats they may not have the understanding of your needs. Local bikers should be able to recommend.

Another option are covers. Animal skins (untreated sheepskin), beads, nylon mesh, inflatable (Airhawk). Best thing with this option is that they are likely to fit a multitude of bikes so you can move it to your next bike.

Me personally, I went to a custom seat builder for my ybr125. Think it was about 300 (nearly half the price of the bike!) to use the existing base. Very pleased with the comfort.
I don't find the CB's seat that uncomfortable. I use a cheap Chinese copy of a "cool cover". A nylon 3d mesh that was less than 5. Helps with Betty swallocks if you wanted to know. It reduces how much the seat heats up in full sun. I find it too cold when temp drops below 5 deg C but no problem. Its a cover!
Daughter finds it too slippery with her textiles so I fixed some anti slip material to her perch.
I've got leather attached to the butt so haven't noticed any issue.
It adds approx. 1cm of squishiness.

I can ride for 8 to 10hrs stopping only for fuel. (Cover has made no difference for me)
Very important - I move about whilst riding. Stand up for a bit (and when stopped at lights). Slide back as far as you can. Stretch you legs out front (maybe fit highway pegs on crash bars). The idea is to move before you feel that you have to.

Another option is frequent coffee stops.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:03:51 PM »
I use a bicycle gel seat cover strapped around the seat. I can move it closer or farther to the tank if need be.
The "point" of the cover (female type) points to the rear though, works best for me (and it cost only around 8 - 10$)!
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:15:01 AM »
There's been a bunch of discussion about seats and seat covers. One of the most popular inexpensive options I've seen mentioned is a padded overlay (don't recall the brand) that's available from among others Wal Mart. Should be able to find it by searching. I give every new bike some time before I decide to start changing things like the seat to see if I get used to it first. I thought I'd change the seat on my CB but got used to it and have since been on multiple long rides with no discomfort.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ayr
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
I bought a pair of gel padded cycle shorts for a trip to northern France from Scotland , still uncomfortable but at least I wasn't reduced to tears .

Offline yeendy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: kings Lynn
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »
Can you get a single seat option ?

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:29:21 PM »
Aftermarket seats usually look horrendous in my opinion, I think I I'd rather be uncomfortable!

I'd go for the cycle shorts and see how you get on before spoiling the look with some fancy padded seat with CB500X stitched into it!

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
Another option is to send the seat off to have a gel insert fitted. Hopefully more comfort and keep the standard look. You can also have a go at doing it yourself.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »
After suffering from chaffed lower thighs on two 2000+ mile trips, I bought a gel seat pad, large size, and have been more comfortable on recent shorter (~200 mile) rides.
I am going on a 5000 mile trip starting next week and will report the results.
The area that gets chaffed and painful is the underside of my thigh where it contacts the edge of the seat. It was so painful by the seventh day of my last long trip that I was standing on the pegs every 10 minutes or so. That is also exactly where the threaded side of a pant's seam contacts the leg, and where the seat is pressing the seam into the skin. Every bump or movement results in rubbing of the seam against the skin. I applied adhesive tape on my Kevlar jeans in that area in the hope that it will help, but haven't ridden with them yet.
I'm hoping the combination of the gel seat pad and the adhesive tape on the inner pant seam will eliminate the chaffing. I'll report back.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by yeendy [+]
Can you get a single seat option ?

the way the seat pan is configured, I don't think so.
The 500F has a two piece seat but the attachment doesn't look like it would work on the X.
Have looked at this and did not see a way for it to work without considerable skill and a thick wallet.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage