Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Prep for the ugly season  (Read 987 times)

Offline terryboyle

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: looking at 2019X
  • City / Town: Burlington ON
Prep for the ugly season
« on: August 08, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »
Picking up a new to me 500X in the near future

My three primary objectives are:
1.   Prepare the bike for use in winter. I plan to go out on the clear, cold(ish) days and I want to
        protect the bike from the salt they will have put down on the roads.
2.   Keep myself somewhat comfortable.
3.   Not go broke doing 1 and 2.

Your experience and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I realize that some items will not be suitable for an off road adventure, I can always remove stuff if my plans change.I would like to hear if there are any just dont go there  or dont overlookitems.

Bike Protection
1.   Fork gators to protect the forks up front.
2.   Fenda Extenda to keep crap off engine.
3.   Mud Guard to keep crap of the rear shock (Honda Model P/N: 08F70-MGZ-J00, Givi MG1121).
        Needs to fit with the TKC80 tires I will use to replace the stock Dunlop Trailmax tires.
4.   Radiator Guard if it will be of any use.

Rider Comfort
1.   Barkbuster Storm hand guards
2.   Oxford Heated Grips

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:22:19 PM by terryboyle »
Living the good life.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: Prep for the ugly season
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by terryboyle [+]
Picking up a new to me 500X in the near future

My three primary objectives are:
1.   Prepare the bike for use in winter. I plan to go out on the clear, cold(ish) days and I want to
        protect the bike from the salt they will have put down on the roads.
2.   Keep myself somewhat comfortable.
3.   Not go broke doing 1 and 2.

Your experience and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I realize that some items will not be suitable for an off road adventure, I can always remove stuff if my plans change.I would like to hear if there are any just dont go there  or dont overlookitems.

Bike Protection
1.   Fork gators to protect the forks up front.
2.   Fenda Extenda to keep crap off engine.
3.   Mud Guard to keep crap of the rear shock (Honda Model P/N: 08F70-MGZ-J00, Givi MG1121).
        Needs to fit with the TKC80 tires I will use to replace the stock Dunlop Trailmax tires.
4.   Radiator Guard if it will be of any use.

Rider Comfort
1.   Barkbuster Storm hand guards
2.   Oxford Heated Grips

Thanks in advance

Hi Terry! From my point of view an automatic chain oiler could be great for this conditions (Scottoiler or similar) - I ride all the year (commuting and traveling) and when raining the chain need to be oiled after almost every ride. It's a real pain to do it so frequently - with Scottoiler I no longer concerned with the chain. So for all weather rider it's a good investment.

Regards

Offline terryboyle

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
Hi Terry! From my point of view an automatic chain oiler could be great for this conditions (Scottoiler or similar) - I ride all the year (commuting and traveling) and when raining the chain need to be oiled after almost every ride. It's a real pain to do it so frequently - with Scottoiler I no longer concerned with the chain. So for all weather rider it's a good investment.

Regards

Thanks, added to the list. Certainly needed here.
Living the good life.

Offline Herman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »
ACF 50 or similar and clear vinyl wrap . Heated clothing, my god how many years did I spend freezing and bits of me dropping off! Spare gloves tucked into your armpits  :190:

Offline terryboyle

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Herman [+]
ACF 50 or similar and clear vinyl wrap . Heated clothing, my god how many years did I spend freezing and bits of me dropping off! Spare gloves tucked into your armpits  :190:

Can you explain how you use/apply the clear vinyl wrap. Also heated grip or heated gloves?
Living the good life.

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 10:27:13 PM »
Hi Terry,
Handlebar mitts over the barkbusters. Gloves stay dry so no windchill. Not pretty but functional.

Would recommend a shock sock over a rear hugger. I had a Honda hugger fitted. It protected the rear shock a little but did nothing for the rest of the rear.
Could make one out of an old wetsuit.

Whilst doing this, re-grease the bearings in the suspension linkage.

My topbox would get covered in wheel spray so I put a plate extending from the number plate.

Still get the wheel out no problems.

If your budget doesn't stretch to heated clothing and you are only out for a couple of hours try a hot water bottle in the jacket. Something like this as opposed to filling a drinking bottle
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comfort-water-bottle-fleece-cover/dp/B076JF3FPB/ref=sr_1_8?crid=51H3SKW3HF0X&keywords=hot+water+bottle&qid=1565298906&s=gateway&sprefix=hot+water%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-8

Another vote for ACF50. Dinitrol is tougher,  not clear(slight brown coating) needs a solvent to remove (petrol works well).
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline terryboyle

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 10:31:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by rambrose [+]
Hi Terry,
Handlebar mitts over the barkbusters. Gloves stay dry so no windchill. Not pretty but functional.

Would recommend a shock sock over a rear hugger. I had a Honda hugger fitted. It protected the rear shock a little but did nothing for the rest of the rear.
Could make one out of an old wetsuit.

Whilst doing this, re-grease the bearings in the suspension linkage.

My topbox would get covered in wheel spray so I put a plate extending from the number plate.

Still get the wheel out no problems.

If your budget doesn't stretch to heated clothing and you are only out for a couple of hours try a hot water bottle in the jacket. Something like this as opposed to filling a drinking bottle
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comfort-water-bottle-fleece-cover/dp/B076JF3FPB/ref=sr_1_8?crid=51H3SKW3HF0X&keywords=hot+water+bottle&qid=1565298906&s=gateway&sprefix=hot+water%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-8

Another vote for ACF50. Dinitrol is tougher,  not clear(slight brown coating) needs a solvent to remove (petrol works well).

Many thanks, great input!
Living the good life.

Offline rick01

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Alstonville NSW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 05:32:21 AM »
Where can you get fork gators I would love to get my hands on a set.
BMW R1200GS BMW G310GS and soon Honda CB500X

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ayr
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 08:10:50 AM »
If  you fit a hugger  (anyones) you will have to extend the front by six inches or so . Use an old plastic 20 litre oil drum for this , once cut you can heat gently and shape . Make it long enough to protect the centrestand if fitted .

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
Personally I would disagree with using automatic chain oilers. When I was younger and lazier, I used automatic chain oilers for a few years, but I grew tired of them. They cost money, I don't think they protect your chain very effectively, and the oil combines with road material and forms a paste which also builds up around the engine sprocket. OP will want to wash the bike very frequently, might as well have a quick pass at the chain whilst they're at it with <Insert Chain Oil Of Choice Here>.

I would 100% recommend using ACF-50 on all metallic parts. Ideally using a compressor (taking care to avoid brakes and tires), and apply more frequently over winter.

OP - You might run into clearance issues with the fender extender and hugger with the TKC80s, be aware you might need to modify the parts slightly to fit.

*Originally Posted by timur [+]

Regards
Hawk

Recent Topics