Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RR L2 with stock wheels  (Read 237 times)

Offline Hagrider

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 X RR3
  • City / Town: Poughquag, NY
RR L2 with stock wheels
« on: August 11, 2019, 07:05:04 PM »
So I致e been riding my 2013 with the RR level2 kit on stock wheels foe almost a year. Love the kit, recently went from Shinko 704/705 to Tkc80/Shinko 805 and now really loving dirt and gravel roads.

However, I read a couple of posts that got me thinking. I have the RR front end forks clamped right at the end in the triple tree. I知 wondering if a should slide then up an inch or so to account for the smaller wheel? I do notice that the front end is a little loose, was thinking it was preload, but no wondering if it might be the change in rake. Any thoughts?

Also, I would like a little more rise on the bars,  when I stand on the pegs, I知 just a bit too hunched. I知 thinking of getting lowered foot pegs since putting risers on would require longer brake lines and I知 not even sure I can add risers to the RR kit. I知 looking at the SW Motech and the Knight Design kits, they certainly don稚 give them away!

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: RR L2 with stock wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:50:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hagrider [+]
So I致e been riding my 2013 with the RR level2 kit on stock wheels foe almost a year. Love the kit, recently went from Shinko 704/705 to Tkc80/Shinko 805 and now really loving dirt and gravel roads.

However, I read a couple of posts that got me thinking. I have the RR front end forks clamped right at the end in the triple tree. I知 wondering if a should slide then up an inch or so to account for the smaller wheel? I do notice that the front end is a little loose, was thinking it was preload, but no wondering if it might be the change in rake. Any thoughts?

Also, I would like a little more rise on the bars,  when I stand on the pegs, I知 just a bit too hunched. I知 thinking of getting lowered foot pegs since putting risers on would require longer brake lines and I知 not even sure I can add risers to the RR kit. I知 looking at the SW Motech and the Knight Design kits, they certainly don稚 give them away!

Hi Hag' - this question has come up recently, and it's essentially answered in the FAQs.

When you fit the LEVEL 2 suspension, the front and the rear of the bike is raised equally (+50mm) - so the geometry is the same as the standard bike, just higher.

When you fit the 17/19" spoked wheels, this raises the front a further inch, relaxing the fork rake by around 1ー (to 27.5ー from 26.5ー), making it feel more like a traditional dual-sport/ADV bike compared to the stock bike, which has a far more 'street' orientated rake as standard (and why the bike drops in like a supermoto when you run the 17/17" wheels).

You certainly don't want to slide the forks through any further with the 17" front wheel, as you'd have an even steeper rake than you would otherwise... and similarly, when you've got the 19" front wheel fitted, the fork length is extended by the stepped triple clamp to stop any possibility of the fender hitting the radiator or lower triple clamp.

Hope that clarifies things...

Jenny x

ps. Personally I wouldn't lower the foot-pegs (not using blocks anyway), but consider fitting some saddle risers to the bar clamps - that is if you're still running the stock 7/8th bars in the RR clamps - if you're already running Fat-bars in their fat-bar riser option, then as you surmise you haven't got a lot more cable length to play with. For info. You can achive about 1.5" increase over the stock hight of the bars until the cables start to become stretched at full lock - and even then it's best to remove all the switchgear wiring and cables from the loops either side of the ignition barrel and just bundle them together with zip-ties instead.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:56:52 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
Re: RR L2 with stock wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:35:25 AM »
I used the Motowerk foot peg lowering kit, but I installed it for improved knee comfort as my knees are pretty much toast. They work fine for me and were reasonably priced. Motowerk also sells a 1 inch bar riser kit.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Recent Topics