Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SW Motech Skidder on '19 CBX?  (Read 502 times)

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Pine,Arizona USA
SW Motech Skidder on '19 CBX?
« on: August 12, 2019, 03:39:28 AM »
Anybody get the SW Motech skid plate to fit on the 2019?  After hours of fumbling, couldn't get the left rear hanging bracket to fit (no exhaust clearance).  Am ready to return but wanted to check out the Forum first.

The aftermarket is a bit frustrating; half my order didn't fit the new '19.  Am a bit disappointed in SW Motech and R&G; the bike has been out for many months so don't the manufacturers fit their parts on a real bike??

Any thoughts/help?  Thx in advance.  Bob in AZ/USA
Bob from AZ/USA

Offline Flash88

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Brunswick
Re: SW Motech Skidder on '19 CBX?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:24:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by bobwombat [+]
Anybody get the SW Motech skid plate to fit on the 2019?  After hours of fumbling, couldn't get the left rear hanging bracket to fit (no exhaust clearance).  Am ready to return but wanted to check out the Forum first.

The aftermarket is a bit frustrating; half my order didn't fit the new '19.  Am a bit disappointed in SW Motech and R&G; the bike has been out for many months so don't the manufacturers fit their parts on a real bike??

Any thoughts/help?  Thx in advance.  Bob in AZ/USA

Hi Bob,

I went through the same thing and was going to return it but decided to keep it and modify since SW-Motech said they didn't have a time frame for the 2019 model skid plate.

This guy modified his by bolting extensions onto the front arms; however, I used a different method - cut off the threaded section of that rear hanger near the exhaust, flip it around, and weld it back on.  It's not a perfect solution as I had to use some washers as shims and drill out the rear plate holes a bit bigger for better alignment.  Note that the oil drain plug hole will not line up with this method since the plate has to shift forward to clear the header pipe.

I'm pretty satisfied with the way it turned out in the end.  If you don't want to wait for the new plate, modifying the one you have is certainly an option.

Best of luck!   :002:

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Pine,Arizona USA
Re: SW Motech Skidder on '19 CBX?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 04:23:34 AM »
Hey, Flash, many thx for the reply & excellent info; def gives me something to think about.  Almost sadly, I returned the SW Motech skidder just yesterday perhaps mostly in frustration since I was really looking fwd to it; they make nice gear & I've had a lot of SWM parts on my various bikes for years.

The vid guy gets an "A+" for creativity but I think hanging the plate by the kit's extensions from the engine mount makes the plate more of just a roost protector (not bad) than customary outstanding SW Motech bash plate.  Could you tell if the rear of the plate in that vid is secured in any way?  He didn't say but I gather it's only supported by the front down-supports.

Re: your idea, I can visualize it but still wondered if I could pull it off especially w/so much going on around that left rear mount area underneath.  If I try that route, I'll PM you ok?  Otherwise, I have a couple lame excuses for not wanting to fabricate. Plus, I'm relocating in 6 months, don't have my tools (in storage) & really won't need dirt protection until we move.  Had the $$$ & wanted to get it done now but prefer gear that bolts up.

Thx again for the great feedback, Flash.  Gotta think about this.  Meanwhile, not crazy about the RR basher; would like to fit an OEM stand so....  Ride safely & thx! Bob
Bob from AZ/USA

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage