Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Illinois to Arizona and back - 4027 miles  (Read 497 times)

Offline Ron V

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Illinois to Arizona and back - 4027 miles
« on: July 07, 2019, 06:42:11 PM »
Hello everyone, just thought I'd share the stats and some photos on my latest trip, which was the first week of June.  The basic route was: Northwest Chicago suburbs - Dixon, IL - Des Moines - Kansas City - Dodge City - Walsenburg, CO - Great Sand Dunes N.P. - Silver Thread Scenic Byway through Creede and Lake City to Gunnison - Montrose - Million Dollar Highway - Durango - Mesa Verde N.P. - Cortez, CO - Mexican Hat, UT - Monument Valley - Page, AZ - Kanab, UT - Panguitch, UT - Bryce Canyon N.P. - Utah Route 12 - Hanksville, UT - Canyonlands N.P. - Moab - Grand Junction - Denver - North Platte - Omaha - Home. 

Of course Utah Route 12 and the Million Dollar Highway are mind altering, but some other roads definitely need to be mentioned.  The Silver Thread Scenic Byway (CO-149) - by all means, DO IT!  In my opinion it gives the Beartooth Highway a run for its money.  Also, CO-10 between La Junta and Walsenburg is the definition of open country.  Highway 128 from Moab to I-70 follows the Colorado River and is well worth it.  One of the highlights of the trip however was riding the Shafer Trail Road and Potash Road in Canyonlands; basically it is 26 miles of gravel and 19 miles of pavement from Island In The Sky back to Moab.  I rode it in the downhill direction, which is especially hair-raising with loose gravel switchbacks and sheer drop-offs hundreds of feet down.  The road descends 1500 feet in about three miles.

The only technical glitch was that the high beam on my original headlight bulb burned out with about 31,000 miles on the clock.  Picked up a new one at the nearest O'Reilly's; it's a very common bulb for those of you who didn't know (Sylvania 9003). 

Overall it was 4027 miles, 9 states, and 6 national parks.  Had less than an hour of rain the entire trip, and rode in everything from 40 degree mist coming from Vail into Denver to 90 degrees in Moab.  I was on the road for 11 days, but only 8.5 days of that were spent riding.  I was stuck in Page, AZ for 2.5 days and 3 nights with a violent case of food poisoning.  Wound up going into the ER to get rehydrated.  By the way, if you are ever in the area and in need, I have to say that I had an excellent experience at Banner Page Hospital and the ER staff was fantastic. 

CO-10 between La Junta and Walsenburg:

Great Sand Dunes National Park:

Silver Thread Scenic Byway between Creede and Lake City:

Black Canyon Of the Gunnison National Park:

Monument Valley (US-163):

Utah Route 12, at the top of the Grand Staircase Escalante:

Shafer Trail Road in Canyonlands.  The road in the distance down below is the same road I'm parked on:

Shafer Trail Road, at the bottom:

Early morning 40 degree mist in Idaho Springs, CO:

Ron V
2013 CB500X
Corbin seat
Puig windscreen
Continental TKC 70 tires

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Illinois to Arizona and back - 4027 miles
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »
Those are some great photos.  I love the open vistas with a mountain range in the distance.  We don't get those in New England!  You travel light!  And lighter after the food poisoning.  That sucks even when you get to be home, never mind on the road.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:50:55 PM »
Great photos and trip report! Thanks for the information about Route 12... I'm planning a trip from CA to VA in two weeks and have Utah 12 on my map. I'm planning on Colorado route 160 for most of the way, but will now definitely check out CO-149, making a left at South Fork and hitting Rt 50 at Parlin. Cool. Man, you really pack light... did you camp out?
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline Ron V

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 11:40:58 PM »
Utah 12 is definitely one of the coolest roads in the country with some of the most badass landscape anywhere.  I've done it twice in a car, once in each direction.  South to north is best.  As far as CO-149, if you have time, I would recommend doing US-550 (the Million Dollar Highway) from Durango to Montrose, then US-50 over toward Gunnison (a cool ride in itself), and then take 149 back down to US-160.  That would be an awesome loop.  Keep in mind though that US-550 takes several hours as it's not the fastest pace and you'll want to enjoy it.  149 is a faster road for sportier riding.  If you're crunched for time, it's hard to recommend one over the other.  I love 'em all. 

I like to camp, but I don't on the bike trips.  Too much stuff to carry.  Plus I do 400-600 miles a day, and when it's over with I like a nice steak dinner, a jacuzzi, and a queen sized bed.  Yes, I pack light.  Every trip I learn a little more about what I need and don't need.  That 23 liter dry bag holds four days' worth of clothes, and a plastic shoebox with select tools, chain lube, chain cleaner, etc.  Rain suit gets bungeed to the top of the bag so it's accessible and doesn't rob space in the bag.  I've ridden from 40 to 100 degrees with that minimal gear.  I jam a bottle of water under the bungee cord when heading into desert territory, and sometimes carry a spare bottle inside the bag.  I am however looking at expanding my storage space to accommodate a spare chain, spare levers, more water, and a minimal non-perishable food supply.  The food poisoning episode was an eye opener that I hadn't planned for.  I was just darn lucky it hit me just as I was coming into Page.  If it had hit me in the desert between Page and Kanab, I would have had one hell of a problem.  Never been so sick in my life...went from "able to ride" to totally out of commission in about 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:43:22 PM by Ron V »
Ron V
2013 CB500X
Corbin seat
Puig windscreen
Continental TKC 70 tires

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:49:57 AM »
Sounds like a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing. Amazing how this little bike will go across the country or even continents with amazing reliability. Wish I had the time to take a trip.  :821:

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »
Respect. Proper job biker. Proper job trip.

From England I would have to ride to Moscow and back to do those mileages, which would mean 6 or more languages and 4 or more currencies. You Americans certainly have it all on your doorstep.
Brian.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
Nice trip, thanks for writing it up. That's a fantastic part of the country for riding, I was out there in the Spring on my Versys 1000LT. I'm looking forward to a nice long trip on my CB. Glad you survived your food poisoning.

What did you think of Monument Valley? There is a road just north of there, not far, called Valley of the Gods road. It's 20 miles or so of good dirt, IMO the most beautiful 20 miles you've seen lately. And then of course there's the Moki Dugway, just fantastic.

Just damn happy to be here...

Offline Ron V

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 11:16:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
Nice trip, thanks for writing it up. That's a fantastic part of the country for riding, I was out there in the Spring on my Versys 1000LT. I'm looking forward to a nice long trip on my CB. Glad you survived your food poisoning.

What did you think of Monument Valley? There is a road just north of there, not far, called Valley of the Gods road. It's 20 miles or so of good dirt, IMO the most beautiful 20 miles you've seen lately. And then of course there's the Moki Dugway, just fantastic.

Hi, sorry, I just saw this now.  Been a busy few weeks.  Monument Valley is great.  I'd been through it before in a car.  I didn't do the Moki Dugway, but one of my relatives has.  A co-worker had a KTM 1190 and one of the ladies who used to ride in their group got killed on the Dugway.  I guess she went over the edge, not sure of the exact circumstances.  I'll have to check out the Valley Of The Gods Road.  I think I've seen video of it. 
Ron V
2013 CB500X
Corbin seat
Puig windscreen
Continental TKC 70 tires

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage