Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What part is this?  (Read 483 times)

Offline Kyouma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: DFW
Re: What part is this?
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 04:37:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
I find that many times ebay sellers try to sell their wares way overpriced.
Same part brand new from Partzilla just a hair more than 18USD.
 https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/64130-MGZ-J80
hope this helps
Sweet, it's still the same part too? This will save money for the manual haha.
Smile

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
Yup, it is the same part number, so it is the same part.

Offline bananachunks

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XA RR2
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 08:52:21 PM »
I second Partzilla, if not for the part itself, for at least finding the part number using their diagrams.  From there I google the part number for the best value for me.

Someone already posted the Partzilla part number link, here's the Front Cowl Diagram for a 2015:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2015/cb500x-a-cb500x/front-cowl
(not sure what year the bike in question is, only that it is pre-'16)
Rally Raid: Level 2, Engine guard / bash plate, Pannier racks, Wide pegs, Rear brake reservoir guard, ABS switch, Radiator screen, kickstand shoe. Barkbuster/Storm. Palmer windshield adjuster w/ accessory bar. Savage steering damper, levers, rear rack. Givi Trekker Outback 42L Top Case, Mosko Reckless 80, Nomad. 50W 3" spot/flood pods. Scorpion Serket Taper slip-on.

Offline Kyouma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by bananachunks [+]
I second Partzilla, if not for the part itself, for at least finding the part number using their diagrams.  From there I google the part number for the best value for me.

Someone already posted the Partzilla part number link, here's the Front Cowl Diagram for a 2015:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2015/cb500x-a-cb500x/front-cowl
(not sure what year the bike in question is, only that it is pre-'16)
Yeah, it's 2015.
Smile

Offline Kyouma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 11:58:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Yep, that's the part you want - COVER, FR. (UPPER): 64130-MGZ-J80

Jx
I went ahead and got the part and the repair manual, wish me luck replacing this part haha.
Smile

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 12:15:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kyouma [+]
I went ahead and got the part and the repair manual, wish me luck replacing this part haha.

Ha - yes, it is quite involved - there are a lot of fasteners (the push-pin type, plus screws, and bolts) to get the whole thing apart - although it's worth looking at the instructions on the Rally-Raid website (the first few steps here) about how to take the whole fairing off in one piece* - that way it should be easier to work on with less chance of dropping screws into the abyss, never to be seen again...

*I've found it's much easier to unclip the fairing side panels from the headlight surround once you've got the fairing off, otherwise there is a danger you can snap some of the little tabs if it's the first time you're doing it. Once you actually see how it all clips together, it's easy enough to do it in situ if you ever need to remove them in future.

Also worth noting if you're planning on wiring in a GPS or USB socket to be switched with the ignition - then at the same time you've got the right hand fairing panel off and replacing the headlight surround, you'll find the front Aux power tail up by the right hand indicator wiring too... again, this is tricky to reach with everything in place.

Have fun!

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Kyouma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 01:43:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Ha - yes, it is quite involved - there are a lot of fasteners (the push-pin type, plus screws, and bolts) to get the whole thing apart - although it's worth looking at the instructions on the Rally-Raid website (the first few steps here) about how to take the whole fairing off in one piece* - that way it should be easier to work on with less chance of dropping screws into the abyss, never to be seen again...

*I've found it's much easier to unclip the fairing side panels from the headlight surround once you've got the fairing off, otherwise there is a danger you can snap some of the little tabs if it's the first time you're doing it. Once you actually see how it all clips together, it's easy enough to do it in situ if you ever need to remove them in future.

Also worth noting if you're planning on wiring in a GPS or USB socket to be switched with the ignition - then at the same time you've got the right hand fairing panel off and replacing the headlight surround, you'll find the front Aux power tail up by the right hand indicator wiring too... again, this is tricky to reach with everything in place.

Have fun!

Jx
Haha, now I'm getting more nervous about replacing this part.
Do you know where I can find the rest of the instructions, or do you think they'll be in the manual?
Smile

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 05:37:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kyouma [+]
Haha, now I'm getting more nervous about replacing this part.
Do you know where I can find the rest of the instructions, or do you think they'll be in the manual?

Yes, the manual has a series of instructions and drawings for disassembly/installation although they are not especially clear. Fortunately once you've got things apart it's pretty obvious.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Recent Topics