Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Puncture Repair Systems  (Read 906 times)

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Puncture Repair Systems
« on: August 23, 2019, 08:33:36 AM »
I wondered what motorcycle tubeless repair kits members have used.

*There seem to be a lot which push a 'rubber string' covered in adhesive into the hole using a special tool, and then trimming the excess off (i.e. Gear Gremlin from SportsBikeShop)
*My local bike shop sells a set by Weldtite which is similar but uses a rubber trapezoid plug rather than the sticky rubber string
*The Cargol system sold by J&S uses a nylon bung which is just screwed into the hole and the 'head' is then broken off
*They all seem to use small C02 cannisters to part inflate the tyre (assuming you don't have a small air compressor with you) - do these work OK?
*There are also spray foams, which I have never liked the idea of, and which I think prevent permanent repair later

At the moment I rely on AA recovery or dumb luck when out on the bike, but if I was travelling further than my usual day rides it seems like something I should be carrying!!  :034:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:35:07 AM by AJC500 »
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Re: Puncture Repair Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 01:27:42 PM »
I have used the sticky string with good results. I did have to repeat the fix as initially I didn't use any vulcanising glue (kit didn't come with any).
It had a slight leak, nothing dramatic. Once re done no issues for 1000 miles (tyre worn at this point).
No problem 2 up Plymouth to this years HUBB in Wales. A bit of light green lanes.
A friend is still going on his. 100 mile a day commute at motorway speeds.

Recently bought some more string and a second kit for my other bike.
When you do your first, you'll take ages and probably let all of the air out.
Leave the reamer in the tyre while you thread the string and coat it in glue (bicycle puncture glue is fine).

I carry a mechanical pencil pressure guage and an electric pump on the CB and a bicycle pump (not used yet) on the YBR.

When I did my friend's Bandit, he just had those CO2 cartridges and it was still a bit low after using 3 of them.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »
 in 50+years of riding- being where talking tubeless tires I have tried them all with some success the only one that worked long term is the what I call the sticky string-alot of them will get you home none other than the sticky string(for me anyway) will let you continue thousands of miles with no other repair
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline i-WERKS

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: TORONTO
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
I carry the sticky string in my kit with a small compressor. No experience with the string on my bike but I've used it on car tires on a number of occasions with good results.

It is, however, an absolute pain in the rear to use. Prepare your curse words, you'll be using a lot of them.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:55:08 PM »
Ha! Ha! I have a good vocabulary of curse words, and a very short temper!!   :232: :233: :230:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Online drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:55:40 PM »
I use the cheapest string kits I can find supplemented with patch glue. Put a drop of glue on the string, push it in the hole and cut off the excess. The glue helps it slide in easier and seal better. I've never used a CO2 inflator. I carry a palm sized 12 volt compressor and use that. On one recent off road ride I had three flats (different punctures) in one day. Plugged them all, the compressor took about 10 minutes each time to air up the tire and I was off again. I also carry a ratchet strap just in case I break the bead loose and can't get it to seal. Wrap in around the center of tire, tighten it up and the bead will usually seat.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 12:44:50 AM »
Stop n Go. I'll never pack anything else. Shaped like a mushroom, they're easy to use and solid as a rock. I had a tyre with 8,000 miles with a Stop n Go bung in there.
Hawk

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:23:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by goldfever [+]
Stop n Go. I'll never pack anything else. Shaped like a mushroom, they're easy to use and solid as a rock. I had a tyre with 8,000 miles with a Stop n Go bung in there.

I've used these, too, and they work great.

Offline choyashi

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Allen
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 03:11:27 AM »
I've used the string plug kits for ages on all my vehicles.
I use the rubber cement with them if I have it at the time.
Some times I leave a light bulb on the patch over night
to sort of vulcanize it. (Heat it up)(Close to the tire, not touching)
If the hole is only nail size I have never had a problem,
even with air leakage.
My Dentist thought I was crazy plugging a Motorcycle tire,
but then he has plenty of my money to re-shoe his Harley. :153:

P.S. I went 120mph on my bandit 1200 with a plugged tire. :121:

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 05:01:43 AM »
I've used sticky strings, no glue, with complete success (rear only). They stay in tact even in the middle of a tire worn down to base rubber. I pulled one of those out with surprising force from the inside when changing the tire. I keep a bicycle hand pump strapped under the left grab handle.

Recent Topics