Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone drained the crankcase breather tube (puke tube)?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Anyone drained the crankcase breather tube (puke tube)?
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:05:49 PM »
The location of the crankcase breather tube suggests an illegitimate engineer or two in the Honda motorcycle design complex.  Has anyone had need to drain this?  If so, how did you do it?  The instructions in my owners manual (p. 81) are delightfully vague.  I can barely get my hand in there, much less release the clamp, remove the plug, and have room for the "suitable container". 

:233:
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Re: Anyone drained the crankcase breather tube (puke tube)?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
I'm still doing break-in procedures.  Lots of up and down the rev scale (for engine braking) while staying roughly within the speed limits.

I don't think that removing plastics will help much.  However, it's just two hex head bolts and you can remove the snap-in black piece (5 grommet snaps IIRC).
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Cam

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:12:57 AM »
Hasn't looked like it needs draining yet on mine after 7,500kms.  Agree with the comments on trying to access it though, my hands aren't going to fit in there easily!

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
In the workshop manual it says lift the fuel tank to check crankcase breather hose, section 3-6, if that's the one you mean. Haven't actually checked on the bike, 'cos it's peeing down at present.

Correction: I see the one you mean now, & I think a way to do it would be to use 2 pairs of longnosed pliers. 1 to squeeze the ears of the clamp & 'tother to pull the plug. Place piece of plastic waste pipe cut in half (or less) lengthways, under the drain to catch any outflow, or use a rag. If the pliers slip off the plug, slip small rubber tubing onto the jaws for better grip. It's on page77 in my user manual & is delightfully vague as stated.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:15:06 PM by Defender »
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage