Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight Bulb Change  (Read 1123 times)

Offline neddog

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB 500X
Headlight Bulb Change
« on: September 01, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
Hi all,
Had my X since 2014 noticed yesterday that the low beam bulb is not working - full beam still ok.
Couple of questions.
Could I replace with an LED bulb? Have looked in manual and its looks a fairly straightforward process to remove and replace - cant find any youtube videos on it. Anyone out there removed and replaced one lately?
Any advice appreciated.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Stringtown, TX
Re: Headlight Bulb Change
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:12:15 AM »
Do a search for "led headlight conversion" on this forum and you will find several threads discussing the pros and cons as well as how to... 

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »
The big thing for the LED headlight conversion it to ensure you get the latest generation of LED design that emulates the size and position of the QI filaments. All other ( and there are a HUGE number) with any other config of emmitter will NOT focus properly especially the low beam cutoff ( for legality). Phillips ( now Lumiled for the LED "bulbs") designed the first ones but there are others now. Actually look at the stock bulb and at the emmitters of ant that you are looking to buy. If the emmitters are a different size AND/OR exact position relative to the base ( where it sits in the reflector shell) don't buy them as they will simply not focus the beam. Also ensure you get a bulb with the low beam emmitter  masked for the side of the road you ride on. ( eg British low beam is technically illegal on the Continent).
This page has a good picture of the latest and most correct led emmitters: https://www.elinz.com.au/buy/180w-h4-led-headlight-kit-philips-bulbs-18000lm-hi/CBLHZES

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by neddog [+]
Could I replace with an LED bulb? Have looked in manual and its looks a fairly straightforward process to remove and replace -

A good LED replacement is worth it's weight in gold. But don't believe the manual unless you have three wrists, two elbows and baby sized titanium strength hands.

As said above, buy the LEDs with the two strips of LEDS that mimic the filament lamp.
Brian.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Stringtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
I believe the LED bulb in the later models also has a driver that is separate from the bulb.  The conversion bulbs have the driver built into the bulb.  So, I dont think it is as simple as replacing the bulb with the Honda later model bulb...

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 08:52:27 PM »
Depending upon which LED you purchase, swapping the QI out and replaceing it with a LED is about as simple as you can get on the CB500X.
I think I had to cut a hole in the rubber ( I have done so many swaps I can't which was which) but I may have left a back cover off for ease of adjustment.
Picture of stock and LED bulb I used. The black finning on the back screws on and off so you can put the rubber shield back on if you want. I left it off to get better heat dissapation.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:21:13 PM by gregjet »

Offline whalefish

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Nanaimo
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »
Gregjet, how do you like that bulb, and what is it? what else have you tried?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:36:09 AM by whalefish »

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »
It is VERY good.
Been trying LEDs since they started getting mainstream ( quite a few) but the problem for low beam has been the focus and cutoff. The cutoff and focus on this are as good as a QI with better light.
The big problems are with the modern change to focus being from the reflector only ( used to be reflector and fresnel lens), the filiment/emmitter size and position is critical on the fresnal reflectors.
I have these on both my CB500X and MT07.
Sorry I can't remember the actual brand but I think it was Lumiled ot Phillips. Not cheap, but better price than they were.

Offline Griffin

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
Replaced the LED headlight in my 2013 today. The previous owner had installed this one

Which had this pattern on low beam

Replaced with this one. The LED comes apart so that the rubber boot does not need to be cut.

Assembled

The light pattern on low beam is way better. I had it upside down first go but easy to take out and put in right way up.

Struggled with installation until I turned the handle bars to full lock to get parts of the triple clamp out of the way. First installed the holder/mount, then the rubber boot, then the LED and finally the electrical connector.

Online Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
Looks good  :062: probably better than the one on my 20
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Recent Topics