Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Report on the conversion of my CBX 2019  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Antwon412

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yuba City, CA
Re: Report on the conversion of my CBX 2019
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 02:00:04 AM »
Even easier - use a can of Duplicolor. Almost no prep needed. It will look the same from the outside like this. And removable if you change your mind later.

Offline adman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »
Part 2:
So, it continues with a small, but very useful accessory. Since the CBX has a very open radiator, this is also exposed to the risk of damage. A few small whirled stones can damage the radiator as a projectile and then the journey is over sooner than desired.
There are a number of different grids for the CB series, I have chosen a version with small holes, good against small stones and objects and still enough cooling power. Some other manufacturers also have very nice grids in the program, but sometimes with very large slots or grid spacing, which do not provide much protection against smaller stones.
In Germany, such a grid costs between 60 and 80 euros. A proud price for a small piece of tin. So I looked experimentally once for a visually identical product from China by Ali Express for about 14 euros including shipping. After about 3 weeks the package was there and after unpacking I was very disappointed about the quality of the grid. Everywhere was a sharp metal grade by the punching, that did not look nice and you could hurt you too. Also on the grid were everywhere metal picks, which were simply painted over. That's very bad China quality.
I then completely deburred the grid with a file, cleaned and repainted it. On the lower piece of small sheet metal was also a wrong, ugly CB500X logo printed, which was removed directly with.
Installation: at the top the radiator the grille is hung with two brackets. The two lower screws of the side panels must be loosened, then the grille is pushed sideways under the panel and fixed with the two screws together with the panel. To avoid rattling noises, I stuck a thin strip of foam between the grille and the radiator. I also bent the two upper brackets a bit, now it fits well.
So if you want to lend a hand, you can buy the China quality, otherwise prefer the expensive brand quality.
There are also versions that are attached to the upper side with a screw on a bracket, but in my opinion is not absolutely necessary.
To be continue...

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »
I opted for the Bruudt version nice piece of kit, not cheap but when you've paid 5000+ for a bike I'm not keen on cutting corners to save  a few quid.
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline adman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »
I had also looked at the Bruudt grid, but I wanted something less conspicuous for it.
The price was not decisive, I wanted to test in general, if the stuff from China is good.

Offline adman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 09:49:46 PM »
Part 3:
As a next step, I have a USB socket installed. The 2019 CBX on the left in the cockpit has already prepared a position for this purpose. There is already a plug nearby in the wiring harness for the connection. In order to install the socket, the panel on the left side must be removed. The steps I save myself now, I have seen here in the forum already a detailed guide.

As a socket I have chosen a combination of USB and voltmeter with switch. Monitoring the on-board voltage makes sense, should the alternator or voltage regulator fail. But there are other versions for the socket, 2x USB, cigarette lighter, aso.

First, I built myself a correspondingly long cable with the supplied plugs and provided with Heat Shrink Tube Sleeve. Since I did not have a matching counterpart to the Honda built-in connector, I've disconnected the plug and replaced it with a complete new male / female connector from the car accessories. I then slightly widened the opening for the socket with a semicircular file, now the socket fits optimally and can be screwed tight with the gasket. The cable is plugged in and can now be controlled via the ignition. The socket has its own 10A fuse and has a water-repellent rubber cover.

Total about 1 hour of work.
To be continue...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage