Author Topic: Report on the conversion of my CBX 2019  (Read 11495 times)

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Re: Report on the conversion of my CBX 2019
Reply #90 on: March 29, 2020, 04:14:57 PM
In the next step, I dedicated myself to the topic of rear wheel covers. Since I really like the standard chain guard, I looked for a way to protect the shock absorber from the coarsest dirt. The "Mud-Guard" solution protects, but is not very elegant. A combined solution of chain and shock absorber protection would also have been an option, but I really didn't like it either. Maybe the variant of Bodystyle, which fits the design language of the 500X quite well, but then it became the single hugger from Pyramid Plastics.

The Hugger was not available in Germany, so ordered in the UK for around 82 euros. When I held the part in my hands I said to myself: so much money for so little plastic. In addition, the attachment with a cable tie, it could not be more primitive. The fit on the support surface of the frame strut also leaves a lot to be desired, here the manufacturer could have tried a little more if one had already developed a new molded part for the CB series.

I also had a Hugger from Pyramid Plastics installed on my VFR, the attachment using the auxiliary frame was incredibly bad and wobbled like crazy. I then built myself a new stainless steel frame and screwed the Hugger onto it. So it was okay.

Fastening with a single cable tie was out of the question. I had to think of a different, professional solution. It was found after a short thought.

The first thing to do was to find the position in which the Hugger should ultimately be mounted, i.e. in the middle and with sufficient clearance from the tire. But since the assembly should be done with the rear wheel removed, I had to think of a way to fix the position exactly. I first drew the center of the rear wheel and then held a vertical thread as a plumb line to the top of the cover. I attached this thread to the splash guard with an adhesive strip. At the other end I marked the position on the cross strut of the frame. Now the position was fixed and I was able to remove the rear wheel and start with the actual assembly.

To do this, I first determined the position of the middle hole, this is the most important one, because later you can adjust the height of the Hugger position. After careful drilling to a diameter of 5 mm, I cut an M6 thread. The crossmember has a wall thickness of about 3 mm, so that the screw gets sufficient hold.

In order to better distribute the pressure of the screw, I made large washers out of aluminum. I glued the two supplied pyramid-shaped rubbers into the recess of the Hugger at the top and bottom, which lies over the weld seam of the frame.

Now the Hugger is provisionally adjusted and fixed using the middle screw. The position of the other two holes can then be determined. M6 threads are also cut here. With these 3 screws, the Hugger can be securely attached, the middle screw is used, as already described, for height adjustment. The more I tighten this screw, the higher the tip of the Hugger. For safety, the screws have been fixed with a medium-strength (blue) screw lock.

After installing the rear wheel, a short check: everything fits!

So I like it and is securely attached.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
Reply #91 on: March 29, 2020, 07:29:14 PM
That, Sir, is a properly sorted solution to Pyramids terrible original securing "solution".
I've got one on my bike, still held on with the tye wrap, but I added a lower extension using a sheet of hard palsic to act as a shield for the lower linkage. That bit works a treat, but the original hugger thing wobbles something terrible. I think I'll have a go at what you've done, and whilst I have the plastic thing off I will make up a cardbord template and then work on an aluminium model of my own manufacture.

As already said, porper job that man  :152:

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Online Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
Reply #92 on: March 29, 2020, 08:03:47 PM
Nice one  :062:
Keep the pictures coming
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online johnthebigadv

• CB500X Pro
Reply #93 on: March 29, 2020, 08:05:21 PM
 That's a lot of work to fit a rear hugger, but I can see that you have made an excellent job and it looks like it's not going to fall off or rattle about.

Offline Fufeli67

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: '20 CB500X
Reply #94 on: March 31, 2020, 07:27:40 PM
Ausgezeichnet!! Das seht sehr gut aus!

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #95 on: April 01, 2020, 10:06:06 AM
Thank you very much, I also think that the Hugger will hold now. It is very tight and does not wobble. Mounting with a cable tie is too primitive and out of the question.

Online Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
Reply #96 on: April 01, 2020, 12:18:06 PM
Do you have any pictures of your bike from a distance? Would be good to see the full effect  :062:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #97 on: April 01, 2020, 02:24:41 PM
The time will come...  :080:

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Reply #98 on: April 02, 2020, 01:23:55 PM
It's going to be quite the reveal—can't wait to see your helmet!
Greetings from the land of Pleasant Living!

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #99 on: April 02, 2020, 03:07:10 PM
My helmet is a normal Shoei, matching the color of the bike.
The X is now reassembled and I saw all the individual parts in context for the first time. It looks pretty good for my taste. But I still have to change and adjust a few details. Then I also show the pictures of the whole bike.
Here's a little taste ...

victorious-backstage