Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Higher speed touring suggestions  (Read 1710 times)

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Higher speed touring suggestions
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Buster217 [+]
I really don't understand why people don't think this bike can handle interstate highways. I just finished a trip down I5 in the US Pacific northwest, passing large trucks at 80 mph, in the rain with blustery winds. The 500X did just fine. At 85 it's starting to feel like it's working pretty hard but it's still got a bit of headroom over that if you really need it.  And yeah,  you can definitely feel the wind but to me it never feels out of control. I would guess that a bigger adv bike with a larger cross section is going to be blown around in the wind a bit too.

Cross winds can be an issue on nearly all bikes - what matters is how it makes you feel - I give long, high-sided vehicles a wide berth when it is really strong and tend to accelerate through the turbulence.  If I see wind-blown vehicles off the road (i.e. on their sides) I slow down and consider my options.
I find the 500X with standard screen OK cruising up to 85 - but I rarely occupy fast roads for more than an hour.

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Bryceville
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 12:46:40 PM »
I have a 2013 model.
I added the 2016 screen in the high position, 1" bar risers, 1" peg lowering blocks and that's about it.
I ride w/a tank bag that acts as a "spoiler" for the wind blast between the bottom of the screen and the tank.
I commute c80 miles a day, two-thirds of which is on Interstate.
I'm 6' tall and weight c180.
I  personally don't have a problem with wind blast or getting blown around.
YMMV
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline adman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »
The wind noise and turbulence are of course dependent on many factors in a motorcycle. Size, shape and setting of the windshield, size (and circumference) of the driver, clothing (tight leather or wide textile), helmet, seat position, suspension adjustment, mirrors, mounted accessories, etc are factors for the wind noise and vibration.

In the CBX, a not insignificant part of the air flow between the handlebar and the tank comes to the driver and causes unpleasant vibrations. The big sister, the new Africa Twin, also has this effect. Therefore, there is now an accessory for this in the trade, which is screwed between tank cover and fork. It stops this buffeting effect.

Enter once in the search engine: africa twin wind buffeting - there you will find many reports and illustrations.

In the video, someone made of soft rubber cut and assembled such a cover for testing purposes. The video is in German, but in the pictures it can be seen exactly. He is very happy with it, the vibrations have disappeared. Maybe you'll cut a piece of cardboard or plastic and try it out for testing. I will try it later, too.
t=608s

I hope I could help.

Greetings Michael

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 02:10:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by terryfred [+]
Hello gang CB500X for one week and took it out for a longer run today up to Mount Baker in Washington State.  I had a Honda NT700 before that I traded in for the CB.  It was a very good road bike.  What I noticed today is the CB is just great at about 55 mph, but at 70-75-80 mph I'm getting seriously blown around.  What do you folks that tour more often do?  How do I make this into more of a touring bike?

Terry
Terry... I just returned from a long trip, California to Virginia, and I only took secondary roads, except for a brief stint in Iowa along an interstate. I've installed a California Scientific windshield on my 2016 X and it is much, much better at reducing buffeting at high speeds (65MPH+). However, I would not take the X on a long exclusively *interstate* ride, because:
1) it is a light bike
2) a light bike is more prone to buffeting by trucks, which disturb the air through which you are moving (there is a huge difference being on a highway with no trucks and with trucks... smooth vs. shaky riding)
3) a light bike is also more prone to the prevalent winds, and winds are more prevalent on Interstates which are wide open and lack much protection along their sides from cross winds
This is why I saw maybe two non Harley or Gold Wing motorcycles once I got past California. Seriously. If you are running through Nebraska on an interstate highway at 70mph, with semis churning up the wind in front of you, and a cross wind of 20 mph, you want to have an 800 pound bike under you. I never understood that riding in VA, but do now.
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by harryhendo [+]
Terry... I just returned from a long trip, California to Virginia, and I only took secondary roads, except for a brief stint in Iowa along an interstate. I've installed a California Scientific windshield on my 2016 X and it is much, much better at reducing buffeting at high speeds (65MPH+). However, I would not take the X on a long exclusively *interstate* ride, because:
1) it is a light bike
2) a light bike is more prone to buffeting by trucks, which disturb the air through which you are moving (there is a huge difference being on a highway with no trucks and with trucks... smooth vs. shaky riding)
3) a light bike is also more prone to the prevalent winds, and winds are more prevalent on Interstates which are wide open and lack much protection along their sides from cross winds
This is why I saw maybe two non Harley or Gold Wing motorcycles once I got past California. Seriously. If you are running through Nebraska on an interstate highway at 70mph, with semis churning up the wind in front of you, and a cross wind of 20 mph, you want to have an 800 pound bike under you. I never understood that riding in VA, but do now.
Agree
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline terryfred

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Port Townsend
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 10:05:21 PM »
Thank you all for the helpful thoughts.  I think the first thing I will do is get a new windshield.  A second question.  Redline on the CB seems to be about 8500 rpm.  Do you have any concerns about running at 7000-7500 for extended periods.  I am aware this is not a long distance touring bike, but on a recent trip to Sante Fe NM from WA state a couple of months ago on my previous bike, many long streches in Utah/Idaho with the speed limit 80 mph and no other way than the interstate. 

Terry

Offline terryfred

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Port Townsend
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 11:54:48 PM »
This is ro EWrly.  About your MRA Xscreen spoiler.  Is this mounted to the stock windshield?  I have a 2017 CBX and I assume your screen and mine are the same.  Was there much to do to mount this spoiler?  Thanks in advance.

Terry

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 12:53:28 AM »
This is ro EWrly.  About your MRA Xscreen spoiler.  Is this mounted to the stock windshield?  I have a 2017 CBX and I assume your screen and mine are the same.  Was there much to do to mount this spoiler?  Thanks in advance.

Terry

Yes, I have it mounted to the stock screen at the low setting.  (I have barkbusters, so I would need to move the screen out to also put in the higher setting, but I find my current setup more than adequate so I am not feeling the need to move the screen up.  If I did, I think it would be even quieter.)  Mounting it was very easy. (Twisted Throttle has a nice video to help with the setup.)  I used the removable mounts rather than drill holes in my screen mostly because I wanted to be sure it worked.  The removable mounts are very well made and very solid.  I did a lot of hours riding across Missouri and Kansas at 65+ mph and with lots of wind blasts from oncoming farm trucks moving tons of air and the spoiler stayed rock solid. Below are two pictures of my setup.  From the side shot, you will notice that the spoiler does not add much height mostly because it is a bit wide for our screens and hast to mount lower on the sides, but, if you set it perpendicular, and is very effective at moving air out of the way.  The physics elude me :).

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 03:14:35 AM »
Thank you all for the helpful thoughts.  I think the first thing I will do is get a new windshield.  A second question.  Redline on the CB seems to be about 8500 rpm.  Do you have any concerns about running at 7000-7500 for extended periods.  I am aware this is not a long distance touring bike, but on a recent trip to Sante Fe NM from WA state a couple of months ago on my previous bike, many long streches in Utah/Idaho with the speed limit 80 mph and no other way than the interstate. 

Terry
It will do that just fine engine wise-comfort not so sure -only thing I would check would be the oil daily
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
  • City / Town: Toronto/Cairns
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 04:27:08 AM »
I am aware this is not a long distance touring bike,

What makes you think it's not a long distance touring bike.? :038:

My 17 days touring cross Canada in June often at those speeds says otherwise.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wqmhzqmuy8FADp6X9

It's a fantastic motor - there are a couple good articles on the design heritage. It's more stable at freeway speeds than any other bike I've owned.

5,000 miles from home and loving it,  :305:
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage