Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Higher speed touring suggestions  (Read 1711 times)

Offline adman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: Higher speed touring suggestions
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 10:09:31 AM »
Terry, I do not think the engine gets into trouble on longer trips, even at higher revs. In essence, the engine is a modified, half-motor of the Honda CBR 1000XX Fireblade. Anyway, important parts of the engine and gearbox come from the Fireblade and can turn up much higher. If you do not drive for hours at the red area till the tank is empty, I see no problem there. Here in Germany we drive on the highways quite different speeds than in the States driven and here keep the engines through. Change the rpm from time to time, then you are on the safe side.
If you still have concerns, you might even think about changing the gear ratio to lower the RPM. Of course, you lose liveliness and pulling power.

Offline terryfred

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Port Townsend
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 04:56:21 PM »
Again, thank all for the information.  My wife's brother has built two airplanes (two seaters) and is an engineer and also an avid motorcyclist, having rebuilt two older BMWs from the ground up.  I asked him about high revs on an engine and he said his planes were built to run at 80% of redline for the entire time of flying.  80% of our 8500 redline is about 7000rpm which sounds about right.  BTW, thanks to Ewryly for the pictures, very helpful. 

Terry

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
It all boils down to what your definition of 'touring' is.

If it's doing mega miles, hour after hour, day after day, then there are much better bikes than the X.
If it's taking things easier on smaller roads with essential luggage and basic camping kit, the X is ideal. For this you want a lightweight luggage system and decent gear. The bike itself is perfectly adequate as is....but a few creature comforts like chain oiler, USB charger, heated grips, aux lights won't go amiss...I'd always choose the best road tyres over 50/50s unless you plan to do some off-road sections long enough to justify knobblies...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:58:32 PM by Jonathan »

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
  • City / Town: Toronto/Cairns
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »
If it's doing mega miles, hour after hour, day after day, then there are much better bikes than the X.

are there ??? that weigh 430 lb and get 60 MPG US...none I've seen.

I could tour on my first bike the Honda 305 Superhawk.
I can tour more comfortably on the 2018 CB500x as would be expected 50 years later.

It's limitation is two up touring ....but for solo long distance ...nothing I'd rather ride.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 05:13:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by MacDoc [+]
are there ??? that weigh 430 lb and get 60 MPG US...none I've seen.

I could tour on my first bike the Honda 305 Superhawk.
I can tour more comfortably on the 2018 CB500x as would be expected 50 years later.

It's limitation is two up touring ....but for solo long distance ...nothing I'd rather ride.

Fair enough. Just my opinion, when all's said and done. I have an old Transalp 600 which is less agile, but more planted than my X...if my tour involved longer stretches of highway, I'd take the TA every time, simply because it's less tiring in crosswinds and HGV turbulence. For back roads, the X would be my tool of choice

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
  • City / Town: Toronto/Cairns
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »
Sounds like you need a Madstad screen and deflectors.
My Vstrom was stupid on cross winds but the CBX just slices through. It's the most planted bike I've owned at speed. I really have to resist taking both hands off and relaxing

Now the seat is not the most comfortable but they DO make an RDL for it ,.... :164:  but $$

For now Motoskivvies and AirHawk let me do 800k km + day after day.
Seat and my bum shoulder are the limitations on that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:20:59 PM by MacDoc »
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Online timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Fair enough. Just my opinion, when all's said and done. I have an old Transalp 600 which is less agile, but more planted than my X...if my tour involved longer stretches of highway, I'd take the TA every time, simply because it's less tiring in crosswinds and HGV turbulence. For back roads, the X would be my tool of choice

Part of the highway stability issues might come from incorrect sag adjustment. In my case I usually increase rear sag when travel about 5-7mm. It increases fork trail and rake and the bike is less twitchy. You can play a bit with a sag - maybe it improves something.

Regards,

P.D. Head stock bearing without adequate preload are also bad for stability. And when I bought my CB there was some issues with engine rear mounting bolts - one of them was loose. When I tightened it all and adjusted head bearings the bike improved a lot.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:51:37 PM by timur »

Offline Bat7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 08:26:51 PM »
Last year I rode mine 6700+ miles on a trip from Rochester NY to Washington and Oregon and back. Despite a spinal fusion and fully torn rotator cuff, the stock seat was perfectly comfortable, including one 600 mile day. Trip included many hundreds of interstate miles, often at 80 MPH or more, with a full load including camping gear. While I could feel the turbulence from 18 wheelers it was never a problem (although that may be attributable to my experience as a bicycle road racer in windy conditions).
Mick

Recent Topics