Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Higher speed touring suggestions  (Read 831 times)

Offline terryfred

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Port Townsend
Higher speed touring suggestions
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:37:52 AM »
Hello gang CB500X for one week and took it out for a longer run today up to Mount Baker in Washington State.  I had a Honda NT700 before that I traded in for the CB.  It was a very good road bike.  What I noticed today is the CB is just great at about 55 mph, but at 70-75-80 mph I'm getting seriously blown around.  What do you folks that tour more often do?  How do I make this into more of a touring bike?

Terry

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Higher speed touring suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:23:22 AM »
I added an MRA X-creen spoiler, and I find it works very well even for multiple days this summer riding hours at a stretch above 65mph.  I have the spoiler set perpendicular to the ground, and though it does not as much height to the screen, it makes a big difference in the amount of wind hitting my helmet. I'm 5'9".

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 04:34:55 AM »
Your asking a 471cc adventure tour bike to cruise like a full faired  700cc bike-not going to happen- the 500X is a wonderful small bike that's in it's elements around 65mph-I'm sure others run them much faster but to me the comfort is not there-oh by the way I had a NT700V so I can compare the two honestly
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Buster217

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 07:21:10 AM »
I really don't understand why people don't think this bike can handle interstate highways. I just finished a trip down I5 in the US Pacific northwest, passing large trucks at 80 mph, in the rain with blustery winds. The 500X did just fine. At 85 it's starting to feel like it's working pretty hard but it's still got a bit of headroom over that if you really need it.  And yeah,  you can definitely feel the wind but to me it never feels out of control. I would guess that a bigger adv bike with a larger cross section is going to be blown around in the wind a bit too.

Anyway,  I have another bike that is a lot heavier and lower profile but the 500X feels better to me on the interstate.

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
I usually touring at 130km/h (80mph) and should recognize that wind protection is not the strongest point of this bike. In my case I installed Puig wind deflector, Barkbusters and vortex generators to mitigate the wind blast and noise.

Comparing to stock bike it makes a real difference - no longer needs earplugs for travels.
And no more neck pain after 700km on higway.

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 09:57:07 AM »
Vortex generators  :187:

Offline adman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
The turbulence comes not only from the windshield alone, a significant part of the air is also between the handlebar and tank to the driver and makes for swirls. The same problem has also the Africa Twin. There you have solved the problem with a cover between the handlebar and tank.

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by adman [+]
The turbulence comes not only from the windshield alone, a significant part of the air is also between the handlebar and tank to the driver and makes for swirls. The same problem has also the Africa Twin. There you have solved the problem with a cover between the handlebar and tank.

Intresting stuff, do you have any pictures?

Offline adman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »
I'll be looking for a video tonight, where someone has built something himself.

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
 :152:

Recent Topics