Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Preparing trip to Himalayas (India, Nepal) and Myanmar  (Read 312 times)

Offline lonenomad

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Preparing trip to Himalayas (India, Nepal) and Myanmar
« on: September 11, 2019, 05:16:11 AM »
Hello Folks:
I am thinking of riding a cb500x on the hills of north India (Ladakh) and Nepal (Lumle). The roads are a mix of good and bad. I have a budget for stock 2019 cb500x. I saw a couple of used 2017-18 models with 3-5k miles for about $4000. I am tempted to add the RR2 kit to it. Which option (2019 or 2017RR2) would you advise?
I am still trying to find out shipping/freight cost from US to India.
Thank you
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:19:09 AM by lonenomad »

Offline manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Puerto Escondido
Re: Preparing trip to Himalayas (India, Nepal) and Myanmar
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 06:04:40 AM »
I've ridden in that area before and you'd be better off getting a used CB500X and upgrading the wheels and suspension with a Rally Raid Kit.  Since you're in Canada, it would likely be more cost effective to buy a CB in the UK and ship it to India vs buying/shipping from North America.  You would still have to deal with CARNETS unless you have some powerful connections in India, Nepal or Myanmar.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:01:30 AM by manray »

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 12:24:10 PM »
. . . . or you could hunt down a ready-built 'old' 500X with the RR kit - or, depending on timescale, make an offer direct to RR for a used 'demo' model ?

or you could get an Enfield Himalyan in country and know that if anything broke, every bike shop in India and Nepal has the expertise and parts to fix it . . .

Whatever your source or choice of bike - best wishes for a great trip  :152:

Offline lonenomad

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
Thanks Guys. It seems much hassle to transport it there. Hence, will buy RE there and sell it after the ride.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »
There is a young woman from the Netherlands that rode the India/Nepal region and all over every **stan--country back to the Netherlands on a RE Himalayan.
She has a youtube channel called "Itchy Boots". Afterwards he sold the RE and is now preparing for a Patagonia to Alaska trip.
I think it is worth a look on YT: you might get some interesting ideas about the trip...
Only thing is that to buy a bike in India, someone is going to be the "owner on paper" for you, since foreigners are not allowed to register a motorcycle in their own name.
Good Luck ..
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline Pan

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
In India, nearly every City, have a RE club. They are extremely helpfull.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
The old saying when in Rome-this adventure sounds like a good place for a RE 410 Himalayan
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 12:11:35 AM »
I've done the Himalaya on both bikes - Enfield Himalayan through Ladakh on the Indian side and CB500X RR across Tibet on Chinese side.

Enfield is fine - basic but reliable.  Ideal tool for a couple of weeks but stuff breaks and falls off it far too readily.

Honda is in a different league.  Twice the power, not that much more weight and reliability/build-quality are light years ahead.

I did 13,000 miles from London to Beijing on my CB and it never missed a beat.  Amazing machine...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »
shipping a bike over that distance is dead money....buy any old bike in the vicinity and sell it back before you leave...less hassle, more of an adventure :028:

could probably even rent one to save even more hassle...will cost a bit more but it's one less thing to worry about plus you'll have support in the event of a failure

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
could probably even rent one to save even more hassle...will cost a bit more but it's one less thing to worry about plus you'll have support in the event of a failure

Renting is a good proposition - and depending on your start point, many excellent dealers who have excellent mechanics and well-sorted bikes.
Personally I prefer the Enfield 350 over the 500 - if you were renting, you'd be able to check-out different models and choose the one that suits you best.

Recent Topics