Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Transmission problem? Slipping out of 2nd gear on hard acceleration  (Read 352 times)

Offline patch kit

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Seattle, WA

Has anyone rebuilt their transmission on the X yet? I'm quite mechanical, but I've never tackled a transmission before.
Can I replace just the main and counter second gears? And, how difficult is this likely to be?

The problem:
My 2013 X has over 30,000 miles on it now.
In past years, it has occasionally slipped out of second gear into neutral while accelerating hard. I've usually assumed it was lazy shifting. But, over the last few weeks, it has begun to occur more often even though I've been paying particular attention to that specific shift.
There are a lot of steep hills in Seattle, so hard uphill acceleration is pretty standard around here.
Just to appease those who still think I'm not shifting properly: this is my fourth motorcycle, and I have been riding for many years. ;-)

In any case, is this something others have experienced? Have you bothered getting it fixed?
On other motorcycles, this is sometimes a symptom of worn gear dogs. I'm starting to think that may be the case with my own...

Offline timur

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: Transmission problem? Slipping out of 2nd gear on hard acceleration
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
Years ago I repaired some bike gearboxes but there was 2 stroke mono with horizontally splitted crankcases so it was quite simple. With 500CC 4stroke twin you might need engine support beam - it's about 50 kilos weight engine so engine support helps a lot when disassemble and reassemble it. Smaller engines could be disassembled comfortably on workbench but for CB engine you need a minimum of equipment and tools.

And in my experience when gearbox slips out of the gears under load the problem usually come from rounded gear dogs. And it will get worst with time. If you will open the cranckcase I would suggest to inspect well all the gear dogs - probably there are more gears with weared dogs and they might start to fail soon. So it's a good moment to prevent future problems and to replace all the weared and damaged parts.

Regards,

Timur

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 05:09:54 PM »
Try this first- shift to second and hold up on the shifter with your toe if it pops out
of gear you have a bent shift fork or worn gear dogs-if it does not the problem is the shift mechanism all of the shift mech  can be fixed without removing the engine from the frame-it can be something as simple as a loose bolt on the shift shaft on the engine(which the early bikes had a problem with)
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »
are you riding in flip flops?

Seriously though, at 30,000 miles the geardog shouldn't be so worn as to jump out once engaged. No substitute for having a look, sadly. If it's only happening in 2nd. and not the other gears, the shift fork may be bent.....has the bike been dropped on the shift lever side?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:26:29 PM by Jonathan »

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 10:44:02 PM »
THE most common missed or insufficient engaged gear problem is footpeg/boot top/shift lever relationship. Have you changed boots recently?
If the lever is lifted slightly at rest, it can not fall onto the bext shift pin/pawl.
I bought a set of boots that were so thick sole to top that I couldn't shift my tr650 AT ALL, without taking my foot off the peg.
The other thing is any of the levers from shifter to actuation lever at the gearbox are not as close to 90deg as possible.
My 2013 has done 35000km and there is no problem with the changes ( the clutch was another matter).  Still worn components not impossible, and I have read on this forum about early model problems with the shift drum.
Another out of left field is incompatible oil. I had a Cagiva 650 Raptor the refused to change gear properly on Motul. Changed oil to SAME rated other brand oil and problem went away. I had been using Motul before that on other bikes no problem.Some bikes are just fussy.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 03:59:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by gregjet [+]
THE most common missed or insufficient engaged gear problem is footpeg/boot top/shift lever relationship. Have you changed boots recently?
If the lever is lifted slightly at rest, it can not fall onto the bext shift pin/pawl.
I bought a set of boots that were so thick sole to top that I couldn't shift my tr650 AT ALL, without taking my foot off the peg.
The other thing is any of the levers from shifter to actuation lever at the gearbox are not as close to 90deg as possible.
My 2013 has done 35000km and there is no problem with the changes ( the clutch was another matter).  Still worn components not impossible, and I have read on this forum about early model problems with the shift drum.
Another out of left field is incompatible oil. I had a Cagiva 650 Raptor the refused to change gear properly on Motul. Changed oil to SAME rated other brand oil and problem went away. I had been using Motul before that on other bikes no problem.Some bikes are just fussy.
It wasn't the shift drum it self on 2013-2015 bikes but a part called the center shift drum it bolted to the shift drum- it was redone for more positive up and down shifts on the 2016 bikes
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
It wasn't the shift drum it self on 2013-2015 bikes but a part called the center shift drum it bolted to the shift drum- it was redone for more positive up and down shifts on the 2016 bikes
True. I have changed the selector star on my 2013 bike, and also posted the difference here earlier. Older part on the left, 16 to the right

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
True. I have changed the selector star on my 2013 bike, and also posted the difference here earlier. Older part on the left, 16 to the right

I hope you made a little sherriff's badge out of the rogue part :001:

Recent Topics