Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should I sell my RR Level3 to buy an Africa Twin? Your thoughts please  (Read 1810 times)

Offline jknad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Royston
I have a beautiful red 2013 CB500X with a full RR3 build. Powder Coated Gold Wheels. Tractive Suspension. RR skid plate. Upper Heed Crash Bars. Rear SW-Motech Rack with aluminium cases. Fat Bar with RR Triple Tree. ABS Cancel button. The list goes on.

I made the mistake of riding an Africa Twin. I am not sure it is a better bike but that Engine is amazing!

I am torn. I love my bike. It is light. Great on gas. Fun. I can keep up with my friends on twisty and gravel roads. I can ride at speeds that will have my bike confiscated.

I still drool over the AT.

Has anyone made the switch? Is it that much (or any) better to live with. What are the downsides (other than price)?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.
Look where you want to go!

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Should I sell my RR Level3 to buy an Africa Twin? Your thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:43:57 PM »
Life is short, so if you can swing it and you are AT-curious, I'd say go for it. You can always come back!

Offline jknad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Royston
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:34:18 PM »
And I thought I was the great enabler : )
Look where you want to go!

Offline Aikenrunner

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X RR
  • City / Town: Aiken
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 01:47:35 AM »
This is purely my opinion but as someone who seriously considered the AT and could afford to buy one, I opted to buy a 2014 X with 600 miles on it and convert to RR lvl 2. I like the lighter weight and simpler motorcycle and I have what I consider to be a great bike for many thousands less than the AT. I am getting ready to take my X to ride the New Mexico BDR in a few weeks. I'll let you know if I'm not completely satisfied with my bike.

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 03:39:56 AM »
I've drooled over and had a lot of bikes over the past 50 years, most I missed much sooner than I thought I would after they were gone. And I've honestly never owned a bike I didn't like. Boy I wished I had held on to some of those bikes! Anyway IMHO no bike is perfect for any rider, especially once the 'new' wears off. You get that one you just gotta have and pretty soon there's another one out there you just gotta have. If feeding the need isn't a burden for you then go ahead, just be ready to experience a wee bit of regret no matter how much you fall in love with the new bike.
Jack
ps I met a guy Friday at a group ride and campout who was on a 1979 Honda XL500, which he bought new! He was perfectly happy with it and has no intention of replacing it. I've never had a bike I loved that much and I suspect few of us ever will.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:40:42 AM by drjack »
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:25:41 AM »
Downside - heavier and taller seat  :003:

Upside - a new bike to play with!!   :002:

If you fancy it, and the money is there, go for it!!   :156:

I'd compare the temptation to buy an Africa Twin to what my wife calls my numerous 'mid-life crises', and with every one I joined the clubs and bought the magazines - built a kit car, loved it, sold it - bought an MG, loved it, sold it - bought an MX5 (Miata) - loved it, sold it - bought a Royal Enfield, loved it, sold it - bought a Hyosung GT650 (Suzuki SV650 copy), loved it, sold it - bought a Honda CB500X, love it... well, you can see what will happen, can't you!!   :745:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
If there's space in your garage and the money isn't a problem, keep the X and get the AT. Sounds like you've spent alot of time and money on your X  :306:

If in time you find you have preference to one over the other, can always get rid of one

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 09:29:04 AM »
What about adding some more oomph to the existing bike?
From much less than the change would cost, you can pick up a good 30-35% more power, and keep the smaller weight and easier manoeuvrability.

Offline ts01

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: NYC-ish
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
From much less than the change would cost, you can pick up a good 30-35% more power, and keep the smaller weight and easier manoeuvrability.

I'm going to regret asking this but can't help myself.  What are the modifications that add 30-35% more power?

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »
The 500 engine had been designed to deliver 47hp (or 35 kw) at 100hp /L, so no easy wins or uncorking can be done.
Not all the changes are cumulative, but they support each other.
Most power can be gained with a set of cams and accompanying efi changes -they're good for about 5-8 (8 if all other mods are done)  top end hp, but bring massive midtange boost. Probably the most from all changes.
A ported and decked cylinder head adds 1-3 extra depending on the rest of the mods - and not much more involved than changing the cams.
Full package has upgraded pistons also (for higher compression) bringing the last 1-2hp.
An MWR street type air filter and a catless exhaust is recommended these don't bring too much alone (1-3hp with a tune) but oem parts choke the engine if not changed.
All in all it can bump rear wheel hp from 42-43 to 58-60-ish if one goes for the full monty. I've built about a half dozen and contributed to another 5. The most powerful was measured to be about 66 on a dyno reading a bit high, and won it's class at Daytona in May this year.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:08:47 PM by Oyabun »

Recent Topics