Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oh No, Another Top Case Thread!  (Read 1825 times)

Online grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ashford
Re: Oh No, Another Top Case Thread!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks for that Harry, Jonathan eluded to the same thing. I, umm, am not a big bloke and, umm, my hands can't be described as 'manly'  :006:  so I should be ok, hopefully!

Mister Paul, my previous Suzuki Inazuma had a Renntec rack fitted with a very similar mounting arrangement to the T-Rex one and was rated at max load of 5kg...I'm sure I often exceeded that weight and it didn't cause any problems, but the Givi set-up I'm looking at is rated up to 10kg and has the extra mounting points...the T-Rex rack doesn't seem to list a weight limit on the link posted and it would be interesting to know what they rate it at.

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by HarrySeaward [+]
I like mine because it gives me a trunk for helmet and other storage, but the hand-hold is is not as good as OEM. The gap in the Givi rack is narrower than stock, so I have to grab farther back to get my fingers wrapped around it and pull it up onto my center stand. And I've got skinny fingers, so if you have more manly hands it may be a bigger issue. This isn't a big deal and I got used to it with time, but it's definitely something I noticed when I made the swap a couple years ago.

So you need to pull up onto your stand? I was taught that pushing down on the centre stand (stand on it) is all that's needed, and it works for me. It's much easier than pulling up and I just use the grab rail to steady the bike.

Online HarrySeaward

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
So you need to pull up onto your stand? I was taught that pushing down on the centre stand (stand on it) is all that's needed, and it works for me. It's much easier than pulling up and I just use the grab rail to steady the bike.

There's certainly some pulling required, but you're right that a lot of the movement is pushing down on the center stand. But without some pulling, I'd just be digging the center stand into the pavement without actually getting the bike up.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Grass Valley
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
That's a lot of leverage on two close-together mounts. The Honda bracket has another mount point further forward which gives a much stronger platform.

Where does one find the Honda bracket/rack? I have been scouring the net for 2 weeks and can only find the givi, this t-rex thing, and one other questionable one on eBay that ships from Thailand. I even went into the Honda local dealer and they had nothing. Said the 2019s have little accessories available yet....huh :033:  That makes little sense to me since were near month 10 of 2019. Anyway...would love to hear of options...the milk crate, velcrod to my seat is not cool.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 05:37:59 PM by Topo »

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
Where does one find the Honda bracket/rack? I have been scouring the net for 2 weeks and can only find the givi, this t-rex thing, and one other questionable one on eBay that ships from Thailand. I even went into the Honda local dealer and they had nothing. Said the 2019s have little accessories available yet....huh :033:  That makes little sense to me since were near month 10 of 2019. Anyway...would love to hear of options...the milk crate, velcrod to my seat is not cool.

Sorry bud, it was a mistype. It's the Givi brackets that have the forward mounting point.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Grass Valley
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
Sorry bud, it was a mistype. It's the Givi brackets that have the forward mounting point.

Ahh...ok. Yeah...I have watched a fellow install one. Actually might be the better option, for the reason you mention. I liked the t-rex size and sturdiness of the plate. Had my eye on a cheap, but capable case on amazon for $59. A fraction of the givis. Guess I have to figure out if it will mount ok on the givi rack. Not sure how to sort that out...probably have to order it all and see what happens.

Online grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ashford
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by HarrySeaward [+]
There's certainly some pulling required, but you're right that a lot of the movement is pushing down on the center stand. But without some pulling, I'd just be digging the center stand into the pavement without actually getting the bike up.

I'm with you Harry...I've had bikes that you can just 'stand' on the centre stand and up she'll come, but I find the X does need a little lift...not a lot but a bit!  :002:

Anyhow, I've placed an order for the Givi rack and case so I'll see how it goes...just got to wait until the end of the month because they haven't got the rack in stock <sigh>!

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 03:25:31 PM »
If your small or have a bad back like me what I do is take two boards about 1/2"  thick 8" wide ( so it fits between the center stand)15" to 1 8" long one in front of each wheel and roll the bike onto them real easy to pull up and the rear wheel still spins-works for me :046:
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 02:49:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
If your small or have a bad back like me what I do is take two boards about 1/2"  thick 8" wide ( so it fits between the center stand)15" to 1 8" long one in front of each wheel and roll the bike onto them real easy to pull up and the rear wheel still spins-works for me :046:
Thats a great idea, thx !

Offline choyashi

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Allen
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
Your going about it all wrong.
Just grab under the passenger foot peg bracket to lift it up.
You use your back more, and it is much easier.........

Unless you have a bad back! Sorry, "Motorboy"   :158:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:12:50 PM by choyashi »

Recent Topics