Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oh No, Another Top Case Thread!  (Read 1826 times)

Online grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ashford
Oh No, Another Top Case Thread!
« on: September 17, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
Just starting to think about adding some stuff to tailor the new bike (2018MY) to my needs and a rack with top case/box is a high priority. I've been reading through some old threads I found with the search tool and it seems the Givi rack (1121FZ) has been the most popular over the years...with the benefit of hindsight is this still a good choice? Does it provide a decent hand-hold for pulling the bike up onto the centre stand/pushing it about? and most importantly, can it be fitted by a mechanical idiot!?

I'm also thinking the Givi V40 Monokey top case is a good compromise between size and appearance...the 500X I had a test ride on had the V46 on and I thought it looked a 'bit' big maybe?

Anyhow, thanks for bearing with me, any thoughts appreciated!  :002:

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: Oh No, Another Top Case Thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Yes to all your questions -including the 40L being a good size
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline VDZ

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500xa
  • City / Town: K-W
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
I bought a pair of used Kappa 40 L cases and mounted with the Givi brackets all good, and I more often just run with one of the cases as a top box. perfect size for commuting, holds my computer bag, lunch bag, ran pants and work shoes. When I get to work easily hold my gloves, rain pants, and helmet. Only issue is I have to take my Sena unit off my XL Bell Helmet to close the lid.

Online grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Heh, thanks motorboy, to the point and unambiguous, perfect!  :028:

VDZ, thanks, that a useful idea of what to expect...my previous bike had a top case that was only 29L capacity and I could get my helmet and gloves in but that was about all!

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumpyzuma [+]
Heh, thanks motorboy, to the point and unambiguous, perfect!  :028:

VDZ, thanks, that a useful idea of what to expect...my previous bike had a top case that was only 29L capacity and I could get my helmet and gloves in but that was about all!

I used the Givi monorack rails, but ditched the original monokey plate as I wanted something that sits flush with the rear pillion seat. I made a flat plate but fitted monokey fittings to it so it does double duty (for a case or a duffle bag inline with the seat). I wouldn't recommend the DIY route unless you enjoy fettling.

The monorack rails don't really provide much clearance between the rail and the rear side panels, so I wouldn't say they'd make the best 'grab rail'...no reason why you could add something to suit (they're ovalized steel tubing, so can be drilled or welded as required)

NB/camera angle make the rack plate look larger than actual...

Offline ts01

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: NYC-ish
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 10:46:48 PM »
... and most importantly, can it be fitted by a mechanical idiot!? ...

At last, a question I'm qualified to answer.

And the answer is yes.  Don't recall details; not perfectly easy, but easy enough.  No tightening of any bolts until everything was in place, which required patience, a little twisting, and a bit of cursing. 

Online grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 04:03:50 PM »
Nice work Jonathan, probably beyond my skill set though!

ts01, you're talking my language!  :002:

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Grass Valley
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
What do you think about this rack? Eventually, I might add some side cases, but not sure if this will get in the way.  https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2013-2019-Honda-CB500X-CB500F-Luggage-Rack-p/n47-13lr.htm

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
What do you think about this rack? Eventually, I might add some side cases, but not sure if this will get in the way.  https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2013-2019-Honda-CB500X-CB500F-Luggage-Rack-p/n47-13lr.htm

That's a lot of leverage on two close-together mounts. The Honda bracket has another mount point further forward which gives a much stronger platform.

Online HarrySeaward

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
Does it provide a decent hand-hold for pulling the bike up onto the centre stand/pushing it about?

I like mine because it gives me a trunk for helmet and other storage, but the hand-hold is is not as good as OEM. The gap in the Givi rack is narrower than stock, so I have to grab farther back to get my fingers wrapped around it and pull it up onto my center stand. And I've got skinny fingers, so if you have more manly hands it may be a bigger issue. This isn't a big deal and I got used to it with time, but it's definitely something I noticed when I made the swap a couple years ago.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage