Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oh No, Another Top Case Thread!  (Read 2275 times)

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X MY2018
  • City / Town: Ashford
Re: Oh No, Another Top Case Thread!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 04:12:58 PM »
Friday saw the nice man from DPD couriers arrive with 2 large parcels for me!  :001:

With some free time this morning I thought I'd crack on with fitting the new bits...well, it took longer than I had anticipated but I got there in the end! The main problem was one of the rack arms would not line up to allow the bolt through and took a LOT of jiggling and swearing to get it right...I was being ultra careful not to break or scratch anything so that added time too. The next problem was self inflicted...I managed to drop a washer down into the frame/side cover and spent an amusing half hour trying to see where it had gone and then retrieve it!  :232:

But, it's all fitted apart from the little covers for the bolt heads as I haven't got time today to give it a run up the road and then check/retighten everything before I fit them.

The final bit of time wasting was trying to get the seat back on...it was the first time I've had it off and it took an 'amusing' few minutes to sort! :233:

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Grass Valley
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
Thats great. Is that the V40 case? And the 1121fz rack? And, did you use the M5 or M7 plate?  Jeez...so many questions, but Ive gotta get something ordered for my new 19. One more; who did you buy from?

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
Thats great. Is that the V40 case? And the 1121fz rack? And, did you use the M5 or M7 plate?  Jeez...so many questions, but Ive gotta get something ordered for my new 19. One more; who did you buy from?

Hi Topo

Yes, it's the V40 case and the 1121fz rack fitted with an M5 monokey plate...once it was all bolted up it seems nice and rigidly mounted. All the bits were supplied by Spots Bike Shop, in the UK  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/  I don't know if that rack fits a '19 X, though?

I forgot to mention in my previous post, as stated by a couple of others, there isn't as much room to get your hand around the rail where the original grab rails were but if you reach a bit further back it's fine...I had no problems getting the bike up onto the centre stand. HTH

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumpyzuma [+]
Friday saw the nice man from DPD couriers arrive with 2 large parcels for me!"........
Now that youve had some time to use the V40, do you find it adequate for carrying stuff? Im still using a milk crate, but the look is embarrassing. However, its got plenty of room.  I need room to fit a small day pack with my drone, a little lunch sack, and maybe have space to put in a sweater or other clothing item, if I have to peel layers on a ride. Other than that, Ill want to put in a grocery bag from the store, on separate trips for that purpose. The V47 looks a bit too large in size as well as price.

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
Now that youve had some time to use the V40, do you find it adequate for carrying stuff? Im still using a milk crate, but the look is embarrassing. However, its got plenty of room.  I need room to fit a small day pack with my drone, a little lunch sack, and maybe have space to put in a sweater or other clothing item, if I have to peel layers on a ride. Other than that, Ill want to put in a grocery bag from the store, on separate trips for that purpose. The V47 looks a bit too large in size as well as price.

Hi Topo

The 5ooX I had a test ride on before I purchased my bike had a V47 on, and although it didn't seem to upset the ride (it wasn't full!), I thought it looked too big! So far I'm happy with my choice of V40...I haven't used it a lot (it's been a bit wet in my part of the world recently!) but it's swallowed everything I've thrown at it. Last Saturday I had a day out watching motorcycle racing at Brands Hatch and it held my waterproofs, rucksack with flask, sandwiches, spare gloves, disk lock and a few other bits and pieces with room to spare. On arrival I took out the rucksack and replaced it with my helmet and a sweater I didn't need while walking around.

Here's a pic' with my helmet in the case which will hopefully give you some idea of what to expect...

The helmet is an HJC flip-front, so slightly bulkier than most standard full-face helmets, the yellow bag contains my disk lock and reminder cable. The helmet doesn't quite fit in in an upright position, but on it's side left room for the sweater to go on top. HTH

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumpyzuma [+]
..... So far I'm happy with my choice of V40...I haven't used it a lot (it's been a bit wet in my part of the world recently!) but it's swallowed everything I've thrown at it.

Hi and thanks for that report. Sounds like it should fit my needs. The bigger capacity of the 47 is nice, but its almost twice the $, and is probably overkill.  I read that someone didnt like that it was necessary to use the key every time for opening it, as compared to a Shad case. Seems a minor complaint. 
Do you find it easy enough to move the bike around with the rack handles? My garage is tight and I have to maneuver it back and forth in there to make room for the car as well. Saw some comments that theres less room to wrap your hand around, than with the oem part.

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 09:08:34 AM »
Hi and thanks for that report. Sounds like it should fit my needs. The bigger capacity of the 47 is nice, but its almost twice the $, and is probably overkill.  I read that someone didnt like that it was necessary to use the key every time for opening it, as compared to a Shad case. Seems a minor complaint. 
Do you find it easy enough to move the bike around with the rack handles? My garage is tight and I have to maneuver it back and forth in there to make room for the car as well. Saw some comments that theres less room to wrap your hand around, than with the oem part.

I think all the previous cases I've had have required the key to open them, so I'm used to that and don't find it a problem. As for moving the bike around, it's certainly not as good with the Givi rack as  with the standard Honda grab handle but I haven't had a big problem with it. Hopefully the pic' will help explain...

...there's not enough room to get your hand in where the original gab handle was (red circle) but I find I can get a decent hold a bit further back (green circle). It was a little awkward at first but not now I've got used to it. I don't think I'd want to use the Give rack to physically drag the bike sideways as it doesn't feel as substantial as the original handle, but for getting the bike on the centre stand and pushing the bike backwards I have no problem.

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »
I've always been a fan of the SW Motech Alu-rack I had one on my 16reg bike & IMHO it looked better than the Givi rack my 19reg bike I bought came with, BUT SWM stuff is not cheap and you also need the adaptor for which top case you use, I have the Givi Trekker Outback 42ltr case on the Givi rack, but the SWM rack gave more room to grasp it to lift the bike onto the centre stand, as I've got the Givi already fitted I haven't yet decided to swap for the SW Motech, but I may in the future?
Red Rose Classic MCC

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage