Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Enhance original fairing?  (Read 901 times)

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
Re: Enhance original fairing?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 12:36:24 AM »
agree with MacDoc, the Madstadt deflectors do a nice job-even with my stock screen.
Another thing I've had good luck with is using mirror extenders to move the mirrors out and away from the wind off the screen.
And Jonothan makes a good point about noise. I won't ride without earplugs.

Offline Hobber

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: MZ
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 08:21:45 AM »
Here my experience with Honda Windshield vs. PUIG and related modifications to reduce Buffeting posted here:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,8889.0.html

By the way I am using mirror extentions (self made from Aluminum since there war none on the market in Germany in May, meanwhile available) and the original Honda Hand Deflectors (Protectors, comes wo AL bar! like Barkbusters have) which perhaps contributes in addition to the positive results.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:28:22 AM by Hobber »

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
  • City / Town: Toronto/Cairns
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
I've read that the madstad systems  works well. Would you say that the winglets you linked remove all wind and/or buffeting? Or just some of it? It's very important to me to eliminate all of it.

It's a lot of money to order the windsheild system complete in Canada, almost $400 by the time it arrives. But I would do it if I could guarantee success.

BTW, I'm about 5' 9" with a 32 inch inseam.

Well we are the same height, I have a 30" inseam and have had Madstat on my Vstroms and it was the first farkle I added to the CBX.

The control of height and angle is superb and the winglets take it into a league of it's own.
I did 17 days across Canada in June sometimes 130-140+ and the bike was rock stable at speed.
Ear plugs are critical on any bike...I listen to Audio books using Shure Earphones with Westone tips ...or Howard Leight -33 db foam earplugs if you really want quiet.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Offline RobM

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Personally, I'd sack the idea of trying to make the screen work and invest in some custom moulded earplugs. Buffeting and wind noise are often conflated: buffeting feels like your head is being knocked about (sometimes accompanied by weird 'popping' or crackling noises on the helmet), wind noise is just that, unwanted sound, that gets progressively worse.

If it's noise that creates the biggest issue then quality ear plugs are the best solution, if it's actual buffeting then the standard (2016 on) screen can be made to work fairly well in the lower position with a couple of 15mm stand-offs added to the lower mounting holes to reduce the angle and allow more air under the screen. It's not great but bearable up to 70mph...I'm the same height and I.L. as you. Never tried winglets, or a cowl cover around the fairing/top yoke, but these and other arrangements have been said to work quite well by other owners...

I want to try a couple of different windshields, and don't mind spending some time and money to do it because the rest of the bike is so perfect for me. I really wondered if anyone had tried to fix the source of the problem, which must really be the fairing, since I've ridden other bikes that don't have the issue that the CB550x has.

As far as wind noise/buffeting, it's both for tinnitius. The wind noise is obvious as it's external noise, but the buffeting is also an issue because it exacerbates tinnitus internally, because of the head shaking.

I won't give up biking because of it, I'll continue talking to folks like you who can keep providing suggestions.

I do wear earplugs and they help tremendously, and my current setup works, but just not great as Jmo pointed out :)

Offline RobM

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 02:30:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hobber [+]
Here my experience with Honda Windshield vs. PUIG and related modifications to reduce Buffeting posted here:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,8889.0.html

By the way I am using mirror extentions (self made from Aluminum since there war none on the market in Germany in May, meanwhile available) and the original Honda Hand Deflectors (Protectors, comes wo AL bar! like Barkbusters have) which perhaps contributes in addition to the positive results.

I've read your experience and solution before I even joined here! Very interesting.

I thought some of the buffeting was coming from the side, so maybe it's the mirrors with my setup too. My last bike I had bar end mirrors, so that could be something too!

How do you find your setup, if you had to rate the wind and buffeting?

Offline RobM

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by MacDoc [+]
Well we are the same height, I have a 30" inseam and have had Madstat on my Vstroms and it was the first farkle I added to the CBX.

The control of height and angle is superb and the winglets take it into a league of it's own.
I did 17 days across Canada in June sometimes 130-140+ and the bike was rock stable at speed.
Ear plugs are critical on any bike...I listen to Audio books using Shure Earphones with Westone tips ...or Howard Leight -33 db foam earplugs if you really want quiet.

I'm leaning towards doing the Madstad route because of posts like yours that I've read a while back. What height windscreen did you go with? How would you rate both the wind and the buffeting?

Offline RobM

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 05:51:55 PM »
To bring things back to the original point of my post, has anyone tried adding or subtracting anything to do with the fairing or the rest of the bike to deal with buffeting issue? Since it's such a common problem, and difficult to solve with a windshield setup, I would assume the issue is with the fairing somehow.

I know you can buy add on pieces from Honda for directing airflow away from your legs (I think?), so that made me think that perhaps there are other aerodynamic things that could be done to the fairing.

BTW, based on the responses, I've ordered a 20" Madstad setup. I still hope to find a close to perfect solution, because I love everything else about this bike and it's probably my 'forever' bike.

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »
Very good...Madstad know what they are doing and I credit the wings with the high speed stability.
Enjoy
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Grass Valley
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobM [+]
To bring things back to the original point of my post, has anyone tried adding or subtracting anything to do with the fairing or the rest of the bike to deal with buffeting issue? Since it's such a common problem, and difficult to solve with a windshield setup, I would assume the issue is with the fairing somehow.

I know you can buy add on pieces from Honda for directing airflow away from your legs (I think?), so that made me think that perhaps there are other aerodynamic things that could be done to the fairing.

BTW, based on the responses, I've ordered a 20" Madstad setup. I still hope to find a close to perfect solution, because I love everything else about this bike and it's probably my 'forever' bike.

I was going to order a Madstad, but they said they don't have a model for the 2019  :023:  I have not had a chance to test it, but I installed a mod last night, that I saw on youtube. Got longer screws and some fuel hose for extension washers. This is supposed to create air flow that reduces the buffeting.  I'll have to post the results after I take a ride. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:13:37 PM by Topo »

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
ask Madstad if the 2018 wings will fit on the 2019 ...they are brilliant and cheap.
Your clearance looks fine ...you can vary your angle with longer/shorter spacers

Keep an eye on your set up for vibration loosening the fastenings ...the fairing is not there to provide support -- consider air craft style or nylon thread connectors to prevent loosening ...if that fuel hose is flexible that's good from a vibration aspect.

Also I can't see clearly but you want nylon washers on either side of the fastening to the windscreen - yuo want it snug but if too tight the screen will crack.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 04:08:52 PM by MacDoc »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage