Author Topic: Cheap (really cheap) luggage rack  (Read 978 times)

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
Cheap (really cheap) luggage rack
on: October 05, 2019, 03:03:25 AM
I wanted something more secure for my gear than just the rear of the seat, where I found on a trip that my dry bags shifted on some tight curves. I also wanted to lift the gear up somewhat so I could freely open the tops of the side cases without pushing the load around. I looked for a "real" luggage rack, but they all required removing the grab rails or used the same holes that are used by the side case rack.

So I cut a piece of medium thick plywood into a shape that is 18" long (front to back), 18" wide at the front edge, and tapering to 14" wide at the back edge (over the taillight). I then painted the wood dark green (the color I had available).

Once dry, I used a drill and made four slits through which I threaded a double sided Velcro strip. I then velcroed the wood down to the motorcycle's grab handle, using the two tabs on each grab handle to keep the platform from shifting fore and aft.

It works great. Not exceptionally pretty, but for just a few dollars in material, I have a secure platform for my gear bags and camping stuff. And I can get into the side cases without any interference.

2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Re: Cheap (really cheap) luggage rack
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:32:11 AM
And easy to remove. Nice!

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 03:21:31 PM
Nice idea, but with us in Germany such a thing would not be allowed.
I would rather take Aluminum Dibond for it, which is more stable, lighter, weatherproof and comes in different designs and colors. Does not cost the world either.
https://expresszuschnitt.de/DIBOND
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:11:24 AM
KLR forum is two doors down the hall ;)

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 08:38:35 AM
Hi Adman, errr.. I understand in Germany you have TUV and some quite restrictive laws. But do they really allow you to make your own racks out of aluminium composite, but not plywood?
I think I'd prefer the ply - probably stiffer for the weight, and less of a sharp edge to cut bags, or yourself in an accident?

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 02:29:18 PM
SilverCycle,
In Germany, the provisions for accessories are really very strict and confusing. At an older motorcycle with German approval you may still grow some parts without permission. For new motorcycles with European approval, all components must have an e-test number, otherwise the operating permit will expire and in the worst case, you may walk home on your feet.
Alu-Dibond can be drilled, sawed, sanded. I would glue a rubber lip around the edges to avoid injury or damage. Or file the edges a bit and glue over 2 layers of tape around. If you take 4mm Dibond, it is much lighter and stabler than wood.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...