Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What bike is this being reviewed?  (Read 1132 times)

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: What bike is this being reviewed?
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by harryhendo [+]
But people still buy the complicated BMWs as status symbols, regardless of the underlying complexity.

Funny you should say that. I just bought a used BMW 116d car, partly on impulse because it looked great in red, it was pretty cheap and it makes claims of 80 mpg (UK). Yes it is a lump of solid engineering. Yes it does show 80 mpg at 70 mph. First full tank has worked out at 59 mpg so pleased with that but the first 335 miles from fill up took just one third of a tank which is about 83 mpg, unbelievable. The complexity is just mind numbing. Enough electronics for a moon landing. Never seen so many wires, switches, sensors, actuators. You need a degree in CAR to work through the on board computers. So it's quite a bit of "what have I done ?".
Brian.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 11:37:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Speaking of changing spark plugs - Royal Enfield have just issued a series of maintenance videos for their 650's, check out the changing spark plugs one, those were the days!!  :001:
That's why IMHO Royal Enfield Himalayan (carburated version) is the last 100% adventure bike in the face of Earth:

- You can repair it with a hammer and a bit of old chewing gum.
 - It hasn't traction control, ESA, Bluetooth and Cloud Computed Stability System with Artificial Intelligence that protects all modern maxitrails from going wild with those 130HP and 260kg when offroad.
 - It's light and small enough when it comes to unstuck it.
 - It's cheap and reliable. Sure it will work even after being hit by train.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:38:30 AM by timur »

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
The complexity is just mind numbing. Enough electronics for a moon landing. Never seen so many wires, switches, sensors, actuators. You need a degree in CAR to work through the on board computers. So it's quite a bit of "what have I done ?".
That's amazing mileage! Congratulations....

My daughter had a BMW 735 sedan, and it developed all sorts of electrical issues. She asked me to help sort them out. One of the most annoying was that whenever she opened the driver's side door, the rear seat (!) would recline. I bought the electrical system shop manual, and it had over a thousand pages. I soon gave up, and she sold the car soon after.

The shop that services my ex-wife's Volvo said that the car has over a hundred computers on it. Thankfully I am no longer responsible for its maintenance!
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
I soon gave up, and she sold the car soon after.

My cynical view is that is what the manufacturers of cars and bikes want, forget save the planet, make the vehicle very attractive for new buyers and at the same time limit it's life by making it unrepairable once out of warranty. Win win win for them.

They screw us down by not making it easy for us to get at all the diagnostics.  I know small garages are giving up or turning work away because they cannot afford to keep updating their diagnostic tools.

>>  Volvo said that the car has over a hundred computers

That more or less describes CANBUS, every light turned on by a tiny computer, every switch talks to a tiny computer and they then talk to Big Brother who sorts out what to do.
Brian.

Online Neox

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
That's why IMHO Royal Enfield Himalayan (carburated version) is the last 100% adventure bike in the face of Earth:

I hesitated between himalayan(injected) and 500X, before spending my money...

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 02:47:35 AM »
I read the first three items and guessed BMW.   Journo's love BMW's and KTM's but they don't keep them long or pay to have them fixed.  I have a Duc in the garage that hasn't given me any trouble but it's old school air-cooled.  Then it's a Honda, Yamaha, and two Suzuki's.   I have owned two German cars.  A BMW and an Audi.   Worked on both of them myself.  Both nice car's to drive but poor value for money.  Now we have a Mazda and two Nissan's.
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X
19 SV650

Online Swanny

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Neox [+]
I hesitated between himalayan(injected) and 500X, before spending my money...

I was deciding to either get a 500X or a RE Interceptor. But after having a proper good look at the Enfield I've decided that the Honda is a far better bike. The new 650's are ok for the price but the build quality is still pretty crap
I'm a Honda fan  :002:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
. The new 650's are ok for the price but the build quality is still pretty crap

They say that Boadicea rode a RE but when the Romans arrived she took one look at a Ducati and it was bye bye RE.
Brian.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
They say that Boadicea rode a RE but when the Romans arrived she took one look at a Ducati and it was bye bye RE.
A friend of mine called a few months ago asking what bike he should buy. He had never ridden a motorcycle before. I told him to look for a Honda or Yamaha, around 400-700cc, adventure bike style and to take the motorcycle safety course.
He called, very excited, a few days later and said that he needed help taking his new bike off his truck. I asked him what he bought, and he replied "a Ducati". I said, why do you need me to take it off the truck? He said "I'm too scared of it". Last month I went to his house and found the Ducati proudly displayed in the living room! He said "yeah, I took it out for a few rides and was so petrified, I decided to just put it on display"!!!!
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
, I took it out for a few rides and was so petrified, I decided to just put it on display"!!!!

I hope you shot him. It would be inhuman to leave a friend in that state.

You seem to have very strange laws over there. They have made almost impossibly difficult to go from zero to Ducati over here.
Brian.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage