Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help installing Barkbuster hand guards  (Read 563 times)

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Grass Valley
Re: Help installing Barkbuster hand guards
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 09:08:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lancs-lad [+]
Sorry I didn't make my point clearly enough, what I meant was if you remove the OEM bars ends then I would fit the 2 point mount Barkbusters, once the OEM bar ends are out which only takes a few mins fitting the bar end mount & inner clamp is straightforward and there is no problem accommodating the OEM levers, you can use Storm guards to give excellent wind cover or the smaller better looking VPS guards. Hope that's a bit clearer??

Ahh..thanks for the clarification. Finding a good image of these models has been tricky. Twisted Throttle only shows the single point. So, I assume the 2 point has a different set up regarding attachment to the bar end...which allows plenty of room for the levers.
Im back and forth on it all. At this point Im leaning toward sending these back and getting the 2 point. ...and from a different online source. TT was zero help when it came to actually sorting things out.

Offline JM83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »
I must say my levers (2019 model) fit inside the two point BB model with Storm guards. A bit snug maybe but no issues whatsoever.

The original bar-ends twisted freely (as Jenny explaines this is normal and aids security in case of a slide); but I think after installing the BB with their own bar-ends, they are totally fixed and don't twist freely anymore? Will try tomorrow morning to be sure.

I can also say that removing the original bar-ends was really a lot of fiddling. Not a fine example of engineering.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 09:44:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by JM83 [+]
I must say my levers (2019 model) fit inside the two point BB model with Storm guards. A bit snug maybe but no issues whatsoever.

The original bar-ends twisted freely (as Jenny explaines this is normal and aids security in case of a slide); but I think after installing the BB with their own bar-ends, they are totally fixed and don't twist freely anymore? Will try tomorrow morning to be sure.

I can also say that removing the original bar-ends was really a lot of fiddling. Not a fine example of engineering.

Did you get the dedicated 2019 fitting kit JM83? - BHG-074 (for the 2019-on bikes) does indeed come with extra spacer/bar-end weights, so the stock levers can fit inside the Backbones...

If you're planning on exchanging them anyway, then that might be your best bet Topo?

note. If you have an earlier bike, then the similar BHG-055 is the dedicated version you want for the CB500X - whereas the single point mounting kit is essentially a universal fit.

Jx

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:45:46 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline JM83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 10:43:50 PM »
I indeed got the BHG-074 and everything fits fine. Although the short levers may of course be a nice upgrade.

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 11:48:29 PM »
If you look on Barkbusters website all the necessary details are there & they even show you how to take the OEM bar ends off,  not cheap but good kit is Barkbusters used em on most of my bikes in the past Ive grown quite fond of my fingers!! generally alternate between Storm & VPS plastics as the mood or weather takes me!
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 01:11:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Did you get the dedicated 2019 fitting kit JM83? - BHG-074 (for the 2019-on bikes) does indeed come with extra spacer/bar-end weights, so the stock levers can fit inside the Backbones...

If you're planning on exchanging them anyway, then that might be your best bet Topo?

I think thats a key point. My bike is 19. Thru several conversations with the sales guy at Twisted, he never mentioned the BHG-074. Im sending this back and will then look for some other place to order the 2 point. Looked on revzilla, but didnt see the 074 listed. Ill approach the shorter levers on another phase.
Next priority is getting a rack and top case...I may have mentioned how my co-worker says Ive hillbillyd my beautiful bike with a milk crate. But, its taken me some time to figure out the best rack and case. Actually Im not sure if Ive chosen best, but the Givi rack and a V40 case it is.
Appreciate all your input J.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 01:19:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lancs-lad [+]
If you look on Barkbusters website all the necessary details are there & they even show you how to take the OEM bar ends off,  not cheap but good kit is Barkbusters used em on most of my bikes in the past Ive grown quite fond of my fingers!! generally alternate between Storm & VPS plastics as the mood or weather takes me!
Great...thanks tons....as I told Jenny, these single points are goin back. I was looking in the bag for the clamp/kit for the other attachment, and then it hit me...single point means only attached at the bar end ...duh. Learning stuff little by little here.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 01:25:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by JM83 [+]

I agree...the engineering design on the bar ends leaves much to be desired. Ill order the 2 point like yours tomorrow and ship these back. What online store do you suggest buying stuff from?

Offline JM83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 06:34:51 AM »
I live in Europe so not ideal for you... As not one store had them in stock or showing on the website I ordered them directly with the main BB importer here in my country. They were very happy to help. Fast too. Guess I was the first in Belgium who has them 😁

*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
I agree...the engineering design on the bar ends leaves much to be desired. Ill order the 2 point like yours tomorrow and ship these back. What online store do you suggest buying stuff from?

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »
According to Barkbusters website Twisted Throttle are the official importer for the USA, so they should be able to supply you with the BHG-074 set up, a few have fitted the previous model 16-18 to the 19 with no problems but I elected to wait until the 074 kit was available.
Red Rose Classic MCC

Recent Topics