Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mitas E-07+ Issues  (Read 737 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Mitas E-07+ Issues
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 09:53:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
Very diplomatic  :001:  They do have a mini cult following, but I'm going to hold off buying the tee-shirt. Friday I've got a 200 mile ride planned and if I make it back - and I still have air on Saturday morning, I'm going to drop the pressure to 30 lbs or so and take a very short ride. Check it Sunday morning and make the call, keep or return.

Hee hee - yes, as Manray says above, the previous generation seemed to be fine [for a lot of people], but presumably the new 'plus' version is an even harder compound for those looking for even lower wear performance?

Personally speaking - and this is in no way meant to be disparaging you understand - I would always trade wear/life for outright grip/handling when it comes to tyres, but I appreciate not everyone may feel the same way.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
....Personally speaking - and this is in no way meant to be disparaging you understand - I would always trade wear/life for outright grip/handling when it comes to tyres, but I appreciate not everyone may feel the same way.

Jx

Of course not Jenny  :001:  I agree completely, but I need a tire that will run 6,000 miles. Lookin for the sweet spot.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:02:14 PM by ncroadtoad »
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 04:09:16 AM »
Of course not Jenny  :001:  I agree completely, but I need a tire that will run 6,000 miles. Lookin for the sweet spot.

Hi Toad' - as the saying goes, YMMV... however, I regularly get 5000+ miles from a rear TKC80 on my CB500X (with my modest luggage load, and typically a mix of paved and unpaved roads/trails)...

As an example, I started out in California with fresh tyres for my Northern eXposure trip in 2017, and made it all the way to Toronto (over 7000 miles later) before I considered them pretty shot [for off-road riding] - and even then, rode all the way back to Colorado (another 2000 miles - all on pavement mind you) before changing them, and the tread really was not much worse at 9000 miles as it had been at 7500...

photo. this was after leaving Toronto, once I'd crossed back into New York.

Obviously if you're planning on riding a lot of dirt during the later half of your trip, you might want to consider changing them sooner, but as long as its not really muddy, I'm surprised how well they still work, long after the meat of the tread has gone.

The front TKC80 easily lasts 7000+ miles on a CB500X.

Something [and for anyone else reading] to consider in future perhaps?

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 12:30:17 PM »
Thank you Jenny,  I appreciate you taking the time to address this. I had not considered the TKC80, I know it's a popular tire with RRL2 conversions, due to it's aggressive block pattern. I just figured it would be 3,000 mile tire. If I decide to stick with a 50/50 tire I'll look at those next time, maybe sooner if these Mitas don't work out. Then again there's the whole 50/50 thing  :016:
Cheers

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
Thank you Jenny,  I appreciate you taking the time to address this. I had not considered the TKC80, I know it's a popular tire with RRL2 conversions, due to it's aggressive block pattern. I just figured it would be 3,000 mile tire. If I decide to stick with a 50/50 tire I'll look at those next time, maybe sooner if these Mitas don't work out. Then again there's the whole 50/50 thing  :016:
Cheers

As the saying goes, YMMV - you hear stories (God bless the internet) from people on bigger heavier and more powerful bikes (typically large BMW GSs which these are an option for) wearing out the TKC80 in that sort of mileage, and it's true that I once pretty much killed one within 3500 miles - but that was ripping along the fast sections of the Trans-America trail (pretty much all dirt and fast gravel surface) in a couple of weeks...

Generally speaking though, on the CB500X, you ought to see 5000+ miles from a rear, and 7000+ from the front, in a mix of terrain - much as I ride during my various cross-country trips - and I've used the TKC80 exclusively on my own CB year-round for the very reason that they work really well both on and off road on this bike.

I wouldn't say change them yet, but if the Mitas E07+ continues to give you issues (particularly having to run such high pressure to keep it sealed), then do consider them for the next change. They are not cheap, but they are good - like most things in life really ;o)

Jx

Online manray

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Puerto Escondido
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 07:21:30 PM »
Cheers

Your Mitas E-07+ tires in 150 size is the problem.  I checked with the local Mitas dealer and they said it's best to stick with the tire manufacturers recommended rim size.  The Mitas catalogue says the E07+ 150 is for 4.25" rims and E-07 140 is for 3.5" rims (look at chart below).  The RR rear rim is 3.5" so the Mitas E-07 in 140/80/17 is the correct 50/50 tire.  The E-07+ is not "guaranteed" to fit properly.  This doesn't mean you can't use other tires in the 150 size...it all depends on the manufacturer.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
It just keeps getting better  :138:

Thanks manray

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:20:56 PM by ncroadtoad »

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 03:14:51 PM »
Happy to report that after my 250 mile ride yesterday at 36lbs in the troubled rear tire, it's still at 36 this morning. I'm calling it good and moving on.

Lessons learned:
1. Buy a 140/80/17 - not a 150/70/17 for use on Rally Raid wheels. (I feel quite stupid  :161: for making this mistake)
2. Inspect the Mitas tire carefully for mold extrusions along the bead area. Trim them if found.
3. Use tire grease liberally when you mount the tire on the RR wheel.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage