Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Tire Size on Rally Raid Wheels  (Read 209 times)

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
Rear Tire Size on Rally Raid Wheels
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:01:44 PM »
This is a tire question, but it's Rally Raid specific so I think it's in the right place.

I'm struggling with getting a Mitas E-07+ to seal around the bead and another helpful forum member pointed out that trying to install a 150/70-17, designed for a 4.50" rim on a 3.50" RR rim might very well be the problem. That sounds reasonable, but my last tire, a Shinko E805 in 150/70-17, designed for a 4.25" rim did fine. I must confess that I completely forgot to check the RR rim size and just went with the Honda wheel recommendations. 

So here's my question. Are most of you with RR rear wheels running 140/80-17 tires in order to accommodate the 3.50" rim?  Also any thoughts on trying to mount a tire that's wider than recommended.

Thanks
Just damn happy to be here...

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Tire Size on Rally Raid Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »
OK, after spending some hours searching ADVRider I see that Jenny has answered this question more than once - sorta. My take-away is that the 150/70-17 should fit fine. Time to move on.. :034:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:08:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
This is a tire question, but it's Rally Raid specific so I think it's in the right place.

I'm struggling with getting a Mitas E-07+ to seal around the bead and another helpful forum member pointed out that trying to install a 150/70-17, designed for a 4.50" rim on a 3.50" RR rim might very well be the problem. That sounds reasonable, but my last tire, a Shinko E805 in 150/70-17, designed for a 4.25" rim did fine. I must confess that I completely forgot to check the RR rim size and just went with the Honda wheel recommendations. 

So here's my question. Are most of you with RR rear wheels running 140/80-17 tires in order to accommodate the 3.50" rim?  Also any thoughts on trying to mount a tire that's wider than recommended.

Thanks

Hi Toad' - as you've highlighted, I've already commented on other threads/forums about this, but in a nutshell for anyone else reading:

The Rally-Raid spoked wheels have a 3.5" wide rear rim. This is optimised (according to most tyre manufacturers) for a 140 width tyre, but equally all of the tyres we've tried (primarily the Continental TKC80 and Michelin Anakee Wild for example) fit perfectly well in the most popular 150 width too, and indeed I currently have a 150/70x17 TKC80 on the back of my bike, running tubelessly with tubeless rims.

However, it would appear that certain tyre brands may or may not seal as well if you fit a particularly stiff carcass designed [according to their spec] for a 4.25" rim, on a 3.50" rim...

Obviously tyre choice is a personal preference for any number of reasons (hopefully not simply because they are the cheapest), but there are plenty of 150/70 profile tyres out there that do fit on the Rally-Raid wheels - tubed or tubelessly - should you wish to run that specific profile offered by a particular brand/tyre tread pattern.

Personally speaking though (and on behalf of Rally-Raid too), we suggest a 110/80x19 front and a 140/80x17 rear tyre is the optimum size combination for all-terrain tyres for this bike on the spoked wheels.

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
And that ladies and gents is a wrap.

That's exactly the conclusion I have come to. After my second demount, inspect and lube (grease), it's holding fine for the last week - at 40 pounds. Tomorrow I'll take a 250 mile ride at 36 pounds and see if the problem is solved.

As an aside, a shout-out to Revzilla is in order, they have been the best in working with me on this tire. We have been communicating by email for a over a week and they have provided me a postage paid return label and offered to fully refund my money on the tire. That's pretty good customer service. 

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage