Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: highway pegs  (Read 710 times)

Offline ngengs

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kihei
highway pegs
« on: October 21, 2019, 06:41:27 AM »
Hi all,
I am a new owner of a 2017 500X and would like to know if anyone has installed highway pegs.  If so, what brand did you install?  I do not have engine guards to attach them to.  I was thinking of attaching them to the frame bars.  Is this doable?

Thanks in advance.
ngengs

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
Re: highway pegs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
I tried attaching some to the frame but could not get them to tighten properly.
And they barely stuck out far enough to get a foot on.
Now have a lower engine guard and will give it another shot mounting them there.

Offline ngengs

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kihei
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »
I am thinking of getting the givi tn1121 myself.  I saw a photo of it online installed on a 2017 500x.  Which one are you planning to get?  Please let me know how it works out for you.  Thanks!

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 04:26:26 AM »
I have designed a set for my '14.  I built a prototype with some adjustment in the design so I could move the pegs around 'til I get the placement of the pegs in a comfortable position for long distance riding.  The prototype is a "stick" design comprised of steel flat bars mounted to the engine at three points.  I plan to manufacture a "plate" design once I like the placement of the pegs, that will be simpler and cheaper to manufacture and look nicer. 

The reason I am designing my own is all I have been able to find mount on the engine bars.  I don't like this position for the pegs.  It is way too high for me.  Also, a lot of X's don't have engine bars mounted and I want my pegs to fit your bike whether you have engine bars or not.

The first test, locally, demonstrated the pegs needed to move farther out so my legs fit better around the engine.  I spaced the pegs out about 1 1/2 inches and liked the placement much better.  I also found that I preferred the pegs to be mounted a bit higher and farther forward.  After these adjustments, I needed to test them on a long ride, where they are most appreciated.  I went on a 2600 mile, 7 day trip in late September.  I used the highway pegs several times, even though we were mostly in the Rocky Mountains and riding a lot of twisties.  I liked the placement very much, but I think I would like a slightly different peg. 

Presently, I am using the old pillion pegs that Honda used back in the seventies.  They were very cheap for experimenting with , but I don't like this design much.  I am trying to design the mounts such that one can use most of the pegs currently on the market so people can use the peg they like the best, or change pegs if you find you don't like your first choice.

I have more work to do to clean up and perfect the design and prepare for production, but I hope to have a marketable product in the next few months.  I will show them here when I have something presentable...

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline Sherloc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: KCMO
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:58:16 PM »
Can you post some pics? If there arent pictures, it didnt happen.....;-)

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:18:17 AM »
I'm planning to manufacture and sell these so I really don't want to publish pics until I get them ready for manufacture.   
:431:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage