Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front tyre sizing  (Read 237 times)

Offline Akceller8

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Folkestone
Front tyre sizing
« on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »
I'm considering fitting some Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tyres onto my 2016 OEM wheels for the winter. I've got TKC80s on RR level 1 wheels for summer but not liking their performance on wet roads.

Has anyone tried fitting the 110-70-17 size to give a narrower profile to cut through road muck and scattered gravel better?

Also does anyone have experience with the Rally STRs in the cold and wet?

I loved the original Scorpion Rally on the front of my old XT600E which I blatted happily up n down a French ski resort, on snow free roads, midwinter with loads of confidence.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Front tyre sizing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Akceller8 [+]
I'm considering fitting some Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tyres onto my 2016 OEM wheels for the winter. I've got TKC80s on RR level 1 wheels for summer but not liking their performance on wet roads.

Has anyone tried fitting the 110-70-17 size to give a narrower profile to cut through road muck and scattered gravel better?

Also does anyone have experience with the Rally STRs in the cold and wet?

I loved the original Scorpion Rally on the front of my old XT600E which I blatted happily up n down a French ski resort, on snow free roads, midwinter with loads of confidence.

Hi Akceller8 - a 110 width is typical on a 19" front all-terrain tyre, so the width itself isn't likely to be an issue (other than a 120 width tyre is optimised for a 3-3.5" rim, which is a typical 17" front width), but I'm not sure you're actually going to achieve what you're hoping with regard to 'cutting through' road dirt, as that effect is going to be minimal on a hard surface (unlike on a soft/dirt, where a more narrow tyre can aid directional stability).

Your wet/cold weather grip is going to depend far more on the tyre compound and pressure... regarding the TKC80 for example, it is actually a very good wet-weather tyre on the road, as long as you're not running too high pressures (I trust you are aware that the 36f/42r in the handbook is the pressures recommended for maximum load on the OEM tyres) - certainly the TKC80 feels a lot more sure footed if you run them at 30psi front and rear, and indeed are skittish at much over that in wet/cold conditions.

I would try dropping your existing tyre pressures to 30psi front and rear and see what difference that makes, if not and you still wish for a further improvement - crack on and give those Scorpions a try and let us know your comparison?

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Akceller8

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Folkestone
Re: Front tyre sizing
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:28:35 PM »
Thanks Jenny, always good to hear from the Oracle,  😀.

I didn't make it clear in the first post that I still intend to head off road occasionally over the winter, all be it at slow pace so would expect my OEM wheels to be fine. This being Britain the tracks will be soft and muddy.

I'll double check the pressures in my TKC80, but I thought I'd set them to 30psi. If I'm still not happy with them I'll probably try the Scorpions, but with the 120 front.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage