Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seized rear axle PLEASE HELP !!!!!  (Read 771 times)

Offline Markdarren

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Seized rear axle PLEASE HELP !!!!!
« on: November 05, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
Went to remove my rear wheel (2016 model) which hasn't been removed, I guess in the last 1.5 years ish to find the rear axle is totally seized. I first tried a 'tap' with a club hammer. Then a club hammer and some wood on the other side of the swing arm between a brick wall. Still no joy.

Then finally and a scissor jack pushing against the axle with again some wood on the other side of the swing arm sandwich between 2 brick walls !!!!

Still no joy.

I have now ordered a can of PM Blaster, which seems to be the best penetrating spray out there.

Any more tips from you guys on this problem????

Offline choyashi

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Allen
Re: Seized rear axle PLEASE HELP !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
I guess the axle just rusted to the wheel bearings?
I wouldn't use too much force, you might damage the wheel.
Just let the oil soak in and keep gently tapping.
Maybe a little heat on the axle bolt with a propane torch?
Good Luck............. :002:

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:45:16 AM »
If Can you rotate the wheel spacers on the axle its only the wheel bearings which have rusted to the axle so a good soaking of oil and alot of tapping (not hammering) should get it moving, you may need new wheel bearings from all the persuading to get the axle out.
Worst case scenario which I hope you don't have to do, is removing the swing arm lie it on its side apply lots of oil which can run down the axle leave to soak, then either try tapping or pressing the axle out.
Best of luck

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:48:26 PM »
make sure the nut is flush on the axel before you really start trying to beat it out- I have seen this before on other bikes- only way is to beat it out- all new bearing yes new axel maybe-- good luck
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Markdarren

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »
Note to everyone on this forum. If like me you ride all year round (I live in the UK) take out your rear axle every 4 months and re grease it.

I spent 2 weekends and 140 on bearings, wheel collar, pads and a can PB Blaster.

The only way I managed to get the axle out in end was to place the bike between 2 brick walls, using a scissor jack & wood to "press' out the axle. And even then I thought I would bend the swing arm. It was so seized it made 3 very loud bangs before it started to move and even then I had to press the whole thing out.

My bike has 43k miles on the clock and is a 2016 model and the rear wheel has only been out twice before this.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:59:20 PM »
Hi Mark - really glad you managed to 'free the rear axle' - your advice to free-off exposed long bolts is so valuable - please remember to lubricate with something when you get the chance. (Oh yes, I write from the experience of a seized front engine bolt in a Guzzi V-twin)   :157:

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 06:48:27 AM »
Do they spread salt on the roads during winter?
This certainly wouldn't help.
I'd suggest using something like copper-coat on the axle when refitted.

Here in the antipodes we don't use salt for ice so generally don't have a problem.
Well done on the fix.
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
Salt and grit are spread on UK roads from November through February - especially if there is a frost warning.
The resulting spray, or 'soup' as it thaws, is particularly sticky and attaches well to the underside of a bike and when dry, is resistant to casual washing. This is where the modern coatings (e.g. ACF 50) play their part.  I think a good barrier of anti-corrosion spray is essential for winter UK riding.

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by catstevecam [+]
Salt and grit are spread on UK roads from November through February - especially if there is a frost warning.
The resulting spray, or 'soup' as it thaws, is particularly sticky and attaches well to the underside of a bike and when dry, is resistant to casual washing. This is where the modern coatings (e.g. ACF 50) play their part.  I think a good barrier of anti-corrosion spray is essential for winter UK riding.

+1 ,yes the salt on the roads is a problem in the UK.

Superplasma.

Offline Other mike

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x Husky 350
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »
Also, make sure you take the weight of the wheel off the spindle when trying to remove it......

Supporting the weight of the wheel usually makes it easier.....

Unfortuantley this also happened to my bike when I was having tyres fitted at the shop...... They hit the spindle so hard with a hammer that it messed the threads up. They also then tried to force the nut back on with a rattle gun. It cost them a new spindle and nut. I think they were still up though.........

Recent Topics