Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ABS or no ABS?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
Re: ABS or no ABS?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
I don't go offroad, so the following is to be understood in that context.
Also, all this is to be seen in a critical braking situation in road conditions (no racetrack).

Proper braking is the result of training, skill and experience (and of course the technical state of the vehicle).
When the sh*t hits the fan, one can only rely on one's reflexes.
Those reflexes are to be trained on a regular base in a controlled environment by skilled instructors.
There is not always time to think therefore ABS is to take over when the rider doesn't get the job done.
ABS is not a solution, it is only a tool to help one cope with the situation in a better way.
Once the borders of physics are crossed, there is *nothing* that can aid in solving the problem.

ABS is mandatory in my country. I'm convinced there is a reason for that.
Imho, when there is a choice in getting a bike with or without ABS, one might be a fool not to choose the ABS version.
Stay safe,
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »
I have briefly locked the rear on several occassions, usually when slowing for a turn. The last time was on a near freezing commute. I've managed to stay upright each time, barely. I admit ABS would have improved my chances in those micro-slides. Adjusting my perception of traction limits will do for now.

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 07:36:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ceddy17 [+]
........ABS is mandatory in my country. I'm convinced there is a reason for that.......

I read somewhere that ABS was made compulsory in the EU, because it was developed by Bosch, and created German jobs and profits!!   :016:

Sounds right - we're leaving!!   :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2020, 08:38:50 PM »
British invention, french development, patented by the germans...
Europe before the hour :001:.

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2020, 09:06:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Neox [+]
British invention,

If I remember correctly it started off on aircraft. Dunlop ?  Maxret ?
Brian.

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
If I remember correctly it started off on aircraft. Dunlop ?  Maxret ?
Voisin for the aircrafts...
First invented for... british train.

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2020, 07:36:59 PM »
My 2015 is non ABS, I do play and slide around when riding dirt roads and gravel I often make U turns by sliding the rear around. I have ridden just this week a 2019 CBR1000RR it was a beast and the traction control took over several times in the 2 hours I was riding it. The ABS I never knew if it came on the breaks were amazing and it was a joy to use them. I have been blessed not have needed ABS on the X. I have had to make fast stops before with no issues. I would like to see the CBX with better break system it can be a little sluggish when they are applied with a load 2 up and loaded. I still love it and it is a great bike and very easy to ride. If you have not rode a lot and you feel better with it then you should go with your gut. I were gear every time I ride and have 10 helmets. If we are at the beach and the moped rental mob is out we will go to dinner in the 20 mph in our shorts and tee shirts. That is the only time and I practice extrema caution. I prefer non ABS for my riding style on the X its a play bike for forest roads. We do loaded it down and live off of it for a week at a time so I could see how it could have it's advantages. I always say ride your own bike don't worry what the other riders are doing.

Recent Topics