Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Preload Effect on CB500x 2019  (Read 1259 times)

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Re: Preload Effect on CB500x 2019
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
(not talking about engine power, but suspension setup).

I think it's not only a question of suspensions, the rear frame assembly can be not so strong...

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »

Tracer 700  :062:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:12:37 PM by CB-500-X »

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »
For example with the 600 and 900 CBR honda had load-related frame failure problems.
So if you're driving at the limit of the allowable load on a very bumpy road that can be a problem even if you've changed the suspensions.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 10:34:30 AM »
The CB is built like a tank, I don't see it having any rear subframe issues from such load (unlike some German engineered bikes infamous for the failure of their ally built rear subframes).

Offline Pete W

• CB500X Member
  • PeteW
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: Richmond, NZ.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 04:36:15 AM »
Hi motorshock,
My 2019 CB500X also has five positions on the rear shock.  I'm around 99kg with all my gear on and have been trying to adjust the rear sag.   
Currently I'm on the fourth setting (ie. one groove away from the heaviest setting) and still don't have sufficient preload, according to the guidelines (eg. measure unweighted rear for sag, then again with rider & gear, then compare results with 30% of handbook's stated strut range).
I'll be test riding the bike with the new settings and will see how it feels.

Cheers

Pete
PeteW

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 06:31:43 AM »
I am 90 kg with all gear. I travel with one duffle bag on the back seat, probably less than 10 kg, a nearly-empty top box, about 5 kg including the box itself, and a magnetic tank bag of about 1 kg. The fourth position seems to work well, judging by the way the bike recovers from bumps and by the way the headlight beam dips as the bike goes over speed bumps at night. With settings lower than four, the back end swings down more than the front end. At four, both ends seem to be balanced. I worked my way up from two, riding a few thousand km on each setting before trying the next higher one. I have not tried five. I have not tried increasing the front preload.

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
The CB is built like a tank, I don't see it having any rear subframe issues from such load (unlike some German engineered bikes infamous for the failure of their ally built rear subframes).

An interesting comment. In fact, that is why I have a CB500X today. The back of the transmission case of my BMW R1100R, which doubled as part of the frame, broke while riding over a double-dip that a stock CB500X would have eaten for breakfast. See photo. The cost of the repair (including replacing the bearings and clutch while the bike was apart anyway) was more than the value of the bike. I repaired it, but I should have scrapped the bike. All because of a bump in the road. No motorcycle should be this weak, let alone a premium model.

I turned my back on BMW (after 40 years and hundreds of thousands of km) not because of the fragility of these poorly-engineered models but because of BMW’s callous disregard for its riders by continuing to produce bikes with a known and dangerous design fault; I no longer trusted them. It was not the design fault itself—we all make mistakes—but the way BMW did nothing to mitigate it for seven years. Meanwhile Touratech (and others) made “Hard Parts” steel reinforcing brackets as soon as the reports of broken BMWs started coming in; they are still listed in the 2018 catalog but only for the R1100GS, not the R1100R. When warranty claims for broken transmission cases started coming in, why didn’t BMW do a recall to retro-fit a pair of steel brackets, or at least include a pair of steel brackets as standard equipment in the following years? The answer must be: image is more important than safety. BMW ignored the problem until their next model generation, the R1150, even though a fracture of the backbone of the bike at high speed could be lethal. When mine broke, BMW was sold out of transmission cases. Q.E.D.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:27:49 AM by Falang »

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 03:34:53 PM »
I under stand and agree with you about BMW- back in the day 40 years ago they were the best bike on the road- over the years they got worse and worse reliability wise- very disappointing-I gave them 20 years of my 55 year riding- no more- and now with this made in China engines and made in India bikes - just not the same seems the Japanese went forward BMW went backwards
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I dare to say "think again".

It seems silly to buy a new bike then spend more money on it to cobble together a bike that might do the job yet still at the limit.

Buy a bike that fits the job without modification.

I'm sorry I can't name a bike for you but 650 or 750 is more like the engine size that will be more relaxed two up. We've toured all over Europe on 750s, it's a sweet engine size.

Good post, 10/10.

Superplasma

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage