Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screens...so many threads but still not clear  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
Re: Screens...so many threads but still not clear
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »
What does MY mean?  :187:
Manufactured year?
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 09:20:58 AM »
MY is Model Year

Offline bartiz

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x 2013
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by woody [+]
If you CBX is a MY13 it will have a smaller screen than ewryly's. The taller screen was standard on the later model years 2016-2018. A second hand one could be brought off ebay :152:
Like I said in my initial post bike came with ermax touring screen, which doesn't seem to work for me.

Been looking for those on ebay uk but haven't found any used ones.

Offline Pete W

• CB500X Member
  • PeteW
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: Richmond, NZ.
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 11:40:11 PM »
Been reading the posts on windscreens from way back, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.  So, I've purchased a suitable piece of 3mm clear perspex: I'm going to bend it to conform to the 2019 CB500X's original screen, and then bolt the finished extension to the original screen.  I'm 6" 1" and get buffeting in either of the original screen's two positions.

I'm going for a 4" extension and will fix this initially directly in contact with the existing screen.  If there's still some buffeting, then I'll use rubber washers to space the extension from the existing screen - this may allow an airflow to deflect/balance any air rotoring over the top.

If it works, I'll write again.  If not - ooops!

Pete W
PeteW

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet in this thread, but National Cycle now offers a windscreen / windshield specifically designed for the 2019+ CB500X.   It comes in various heights:

https://www.nationalcycle.com/index.php/catalog/category/view/id/6797

Note these are polycarbonate, not acrylic, and therefor significantly more impact resistant.  National Cycle is a highly regarded US manufacturer of windscreens.  I have one of their screens on my current bike (not CB500X) and it is an outstanding product.  (I purchased mine from Amazon for significantly less than msrp.)

Offline Pete W

• CB500X Member
  • PeteW
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: Richmond, NZ.
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 03:35:47 AM »
Hi All,
Further to my February post, I got an offcut piece of 3mm clear perspex from a local dealer and cut it to the width of my 2019 screen, then used a hot air gun to bend it to the profile of the existing standard screen.  The finished extension was bolted directly to the screen, giving a 100mm projection.

I test rode the bike, speeds up to 140km.  There was still some buffeting, so back to the garage.  After making some 10mm (approx - 3 discs of 3mm perspex) spacers I refit the screen, having to extend the outer extension bolt holes into slots to accommodate the extra hole span.

After another test ride, I'd say 90% of the buffeting has gone - what's left is slight lateral buffet, so I'll flare the upper extension slightly, using the hot air gun, and (hopefully) that'll finish the job!  I've tried to upload 3 photo's of the modded screen, but hit problems.  The images are in the gallery, however.

Pete W

Pete W
PeteW

Recent Topics