Author Topic: 2019 Bar End removal for Barkbusters  (Read 1197 times)

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Re: 2019 Bar End removal for Barkbusters
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 10:12:55 PM
There is another manner to remove bar end weights. In my case I used a sort of pull hammer to extract them - tangs was crushed of course. If you have little patience (like me) it's the fastest method (bit radical though).

Regards

Online JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 10:29:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Lancs-lad [+]
Thanks for that J, I fitted a set to my previous 16reg bike, I found removing the bar end weights easy once you've cut off the OEM grips, the easiest way I found was to trial fit the Barkbusters then remove them, fit the Oxford heated grips, then refit the B.busters.
It never entered my head that the OEM weights revolve!! :002:

Yes - the reason the bar-end weights spin around (which is why people have such trouble trying to undo the screws that hold them on to the inserts) is because the weights are thread-locked onto the inserts, which themselves spin in the spring clip at the outside end and an inner bush at the inside end of the insert, which means you can get little if any purchase to undo the screws - some people have resorted to using an impact gun, only to ultimately realise that the whole assembly comes out together in one piece using the method described and in my photo above.

You might think it is Honda (and actually all manufacturers who have protruding OEM bar-end weights fitted) are being overly cautious - but at the same time, I'm sure they have been examples of low-side crashes where the end of the handlebar (and a rigid mounted weight) has dug into the road and flipped the bike over, potentially making the accident even worse.

Equally, Honda being Honda, you know they are unlikely to want their technicians resorting to using an impact gun (or heat torch ffs!) just to release the bar-end weights for any service and maintenance, and also fitting hand-guards as many owners would wish to - hence why the spring clips at the outside end have the facility to release using the push & twist method I describe, or else pushing the pins through the holes in the bars after you've slid the grips inboard a short distance.

This is not the first time I've explained this, hopefully this thread will show up in future searches/be made a sticky ;o)

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline cheops2006

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 10:38:04 PM
All done, managed to get them out thanks to everyone here, was a breeze once I knew what I was looking for  :046:

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 11:16:44 PM
*Originally Posted by cheops2006 [+]
All done, managed to get them out thanks to everyone here, was a breeze once I knew what I was looking for  :046:

Many thanks for your help.

I looked at fitting the same combination to mine but found the metalwork for the RHS required that the wiring for the brake switch be squashed and even then on full lock right the bracket came extremely close to the tank. If you gave the switch a small amount of clearance the bracket would hit the tank.

Also, the bar clamp was made to clamp on the section of the bar where the radius and taper starts and the profile of the clamp is not tapered.

I might be guilty of being overly fussy but I felt that for the money these weren't quite well enough engineered. I got paranoid that the assembly may become moved without my noticing and then end up damaging the tank.

Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:19:32 PM by Flashp

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:35 AM
The best way I have found to remove just the end weights is to wrap the weight with a strip of leather and use a phillip bit in a ratchet-the leather grips the weight better than anything I have tried
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 10:09:22 AM
*Originally Posted by Flashp [+]
I looked at fitting the same combination to mine but found the metalwork for the RHS required that the wiring for the brake switch be squashed and even then on full lock right the bracket came extremely close to the tank. If you gave the switch a small amount of clearance the bracket would hit the tank.

Also, the bar clamp was made to clamp on the section of the bar where the radius and taper starts and the profile of the clamp is not tapered.

I might be guilty of being overly fussy but I felt that for the money these weren't quite well enough engineered. I got paranoid that the assembly may become moved without my noticing and then end up damaging the tank.
Got the same problem and fixed it rotating handlebar bit forward. You just need to loose 4 bolts of handlebar support and then search for position where Barkbusters doesn't touch the tank nor windscreen on full lock.

Regards