Author Topic: So it started making this noise.....  (Read 671 times)

Offline Lysdexic

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500XA
So it started making this noise.....
on: December 14, 2019, 02:50:45 AM
Was off my x for 6 weeks after a surgery, when I got back on it (after charging a flat battery) I went for a ride. Accelerating from 1st was greeted by a sort of chirping/grinding sound that seemed to be coming from the front sprocket area. Visions of bad drive shaft bearings dancing in my head (what king of noise isthat? Is that anexpensive noise?
I took it to the local big bike mechanic (yeah, in Thailand this is a big bike!) and when I checked back the next day this is what I found:

Has Honda learned about sealed bearings yet?
Grateful I'm getting off cheap!

Offline Lysdexic

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500XA
Re: So it started making this noise.....
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 03:24:04 AM
Got a call itís ready, total bill 650 baht (~$21US).
I love Thailand

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:16:03 AM
Was the bearing from China or Japan? I had one of three rear bearings fail. It was from China and the other two from Japan. Just interested to see if that is a trend.

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:04:23 AM
The same thing happened to me. I heard a faint coffee grinder noise when I rode the CB500X down an alley after it had been parked for two months. I took the bike straight to Honda BigWing Bangkok, luckily only 2 km distant, and this [see photo] is what they found. It cost THB 1362 (about $50) to replace it all, parts and labor, and I was on my way in two hours. The bearing failure was caused by the use of a pressure-washer. Even though the owners manual says "DO NOT USE A STEAM CLEANER," Honda said this was a common problem in Thailand because many riders get their bikes washed by a local bikewash, which are cheap, instead of doing it themselves, which is work. Ever since then, I have washed my bike by hand with a bucket of soapy water and a garden hose. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 04:07:01 PM
Right. I avoid direct spray on the bearings, and I would think twice about a stream crossing.