Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mid pipe  (Read 688 times)

Offline Xventure

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Mid pipe
« on: January 05, 2020, 06:23:11 AM »
Hi, I currently have a mid pipe that doesn't fully seal the connection to the header. The mid pipe inner diameter is 45mm, and I need a 42mm. So my questions are..

1) the exhaust leak, which I haven't noticed to cause any damage, can it be left as is? Mpg seems the same since I've added this eBay exhaust, and I don't smell any fumes whatsoever.

2) if it has to be fixed, can I seal the header pipe with some sort of heat resistant tape, making it slightly thicker and completing the connection?

I've searched on eBay and Amazon and haven't been able to find a mid pipe for the x that has an outter of 51mm and inner of 42mm. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Mid pipe
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »

Offline Xventure

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »
Thank you for the links, will take alook

Offline Xventure

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:38:04 PM »
Got the Aliexpreas one, came last week. Measurements didn't work even though pics claimed to be 42/51.came in as like 38/48 or so.. Sent a dispute and proof and they gave me a refund. Not a fan of ebay, they sent me defective headsets before and I had to pay shipping even though it's their problem.. Never again

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »
the problem is not with ebay, it is with the particular seller on ebay.
check feedback for the seller before you purchase. often there will be mention of problems from previous buyers.
I've bought many things off ebay over the past 15 years. Problems only with vintage watches from sellers in India.
Check out the seller before you purchase

Offline Xventure

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
I did, seller had over 100k sold and 97% rating lol. After contacting them with defective product they said I had to pay shipping. Contacted eBay to step in to fix, they said the same thing. 🙄 Not even my fault it came defective.. Like wtf? 😂 Spent hours over the phone with them as well as p as PayPal. My loss, never again.

Anywho.. I'll leave the current set up as is. It's tight enough nothing's coming off but definitely have a 2?mm leakage. Been riding throughout snowy winter, so far no issues.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 03:26:48 PM »
Let me see if I got this right the mid pipe from China is to large when slipped over the stock Honda pipe- if that's it you can make a collar out of thin sheet metal- the last pipe I bought from China had this problem collar made problem fixed- if this is not the problem I guess I don't understand what your saying- a picture would be helpfull
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Xventure

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 03:36:28 PM »
Original mid pipe that came with exhaust - Inner diameter (that attaches to header) was too big, prob about 2mm loose. Outer diameter (attaches to the exhaust) is good.

New mid pipe from Ali, inner is too small, can't get it on. Outer is too big, prob 1-2mm loose there.

I thought of some high temp heat tape to wrap about mid/header connection to fill that 2mm gap but was told by a mechanic not to. (the same wraps that ppl use to wrap their header pipes for whatever reason, looks like hockey tape lol)

Offline Sweeper

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 CB500x
  • City / Town: Hartselle,AL
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
Try your local muffler shop. They have the equipment to expand or shrink the pipe to fit. The other option on shrinking would be to make a couple of small cuts in the pipe at the end so that the clamp will tighten down over them.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage