Author Topic: Any tours planned?  (Read 4362 times)

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 10:34:43 AM
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
itchy has a few things going for her I don't - and I didn't even include no cell service  :001:  I applaud her though..

She takes big risks on the roads she rides solo. No obvious back up plan in areas where just about zero traffic. Naturally I think she'd have had a better ride on an X.

5200 miles in 21 days, that's right up with the Noraly mileage. Respect.
Brian.

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 10:05:14 PM
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Naturally I think she'd have had a better ride on an X.

I'm not sure, better suspensions on the RE and mechanics very accessible.
I'm not impartial, i almost bought the himalayan instead of the 500X :001:...

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 05:36:52 AM
Labrador has the distinction of "wrench throwing" into your travel plans. The only road across the province washed out once last year, and you basically had to turn around and go home, the ferry across the the Strait of Belle Isle is frequently cancelled due to high winds and there are a lot of travel days involved before you even reach Strait. All of this can combine to really complicate reservation planning/cancellation/changes - especially when there is no/poor cell service in much of Labrador and Newfoundland.

So, a little out of my comfort zone, I am planning on riding on the fly with no reservations. I'll maybe take a tent in case I can't find a room, but motels are my plan. Early and late summer are the best times of the year for bugs and tourists (what few there are), but unfortunately I have conflicts in both windows. So still working the timing.

I'd go in June as you have almost 24 hr daylight but I'd be very cautious of no reservations after July 1st....there is such a short tourist season that it all books up very quickly.....I'd plan on at least a swag sleeping arrangement as the norm but not bother to cook. We had to go 80 km out of the way to get the last place near Port Royale. July and August are the worst.
June is cooler but I like the long daylight.  Once it hits the long weekend in July places are few.
There are quite a few riders with current info on the TransLab at GTAMotorcycle.com - also good east coast info.

This might help https://motorcycletourguidens.com/pre-order-2019-guide/

I'm doing East Coast as well this June if all goes well and depending on weather doing the US route there or back ...might slab it quick to New Brunswick by way of Gaspe Peninsula ( not to be missed ) and arrange an AirBnb to base out of for a few days in Cape Breton then Nova Scotia as most stuff is day rides. Then wend my way back via ferry over to Maine.

Mt Washington is a worthwhile side trip.

Be sure to catch Meat Cove on Cape Breton for a whale watching ride on the Oshan.
https://www.novascotia.com/see-do/tours/oshan-whale-watch/2250?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjSko2uzhZo3RpxGvz8V7D2DOSx_tCvMELV2cr5UJ0diflfF4OXmuMUaAkWnEALw_wcB

One of my early digital photos used to be on the website.
https://oshan.ca

I generally like to travel where the wind blows but I don't camp and lack of accommodations on Canada East Coast in the short warm season makes it tricky.

Check construction activity on Cape Breton as a few riders skipped it last year.

Newfoundland is chilly even in summer but Gros Morne worth the effort.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos>
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 12:33:17 PM
Thanks MacDoc for the tips. This will be my third trip to Newfoundland, second across Labrador and I agree completely with your thoughts on lodging challenges in July and August. The last time I rode across Labrador, it was early in Sept and was about perfect. The black flies were gone, as were the few tourists (the Trans-Lab had not been fully completed yet, had to take the mid-point ferry) and enough stuff was still open in Newfoundland to work out. Storms is Sept are a risk though and I'll be tied up this year during that window. If I can swing it, I'm really thinking early June would be best.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I've been researching on ADVRider the paving progress in Quebec and Labrador, it seems to be moving right along. My biggest unanswered question right now is the feasibility of riding from Goose Bay to Blanc-Sablon in one day. It's only 391 miles, but as of last fall around 200 of that is still gravel. I'm thinking that the way the paving is progressing, I should be able to make it without turning the ride into an ordeal. Maybe... :001:

I too will slab back from Nova Scotia via New Brunswick as I'd rather ride a motorcycle than a boat. Still thinking about Cape Breton, been there several times, it will just depend on how much time I spend roaming around Newfoundland. It's a gem...

Best of luck on your ride   
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 12:53:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Neox [+]
I'm not sure, better suspensions on the RE and mechanics very accessible.
I'm not impartial, i almost bought the himalayan instead of the 500X :001:...

OK, I was thinking of the engine. Huge miles, a nice twin would eat them better. Then again more torque could get in trouble on her favourite roads.

I did admire the Himalayan when I saw it at MotorcycleLive. It looked "right". I've got to admit, the silly mileage she does, ten hour days, the little RE has done her proud.

I see that Ewan and Charlie finished their trip and made it to LA with the help of a massive support team. They admit that some days they managed only 150 miles on their electric bikes. Sure makes the RE look a winner.
Brian.

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 05:14:30 PM
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Huge miles, a nice twin would eat them better.
Yes, it's true.

When i travel i usually ride at 50/56 mph, as much for the little roads as for seeing the landscape, so i think the RE power sufficient.
But sometimes you need power to go far away of stupid driver... or you have to take express ways, so 500X better.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 08:05:36 PM
*Originally Posted by gromflake [+]
What have you got planned for when the weather gets a little nicer?
This July/August, I'm going to ship the X from Virginia to California again (as I did last year, see trip report "CA to VA"), then go up the pacific coast through northern California, Oregon, then up into Washington State, hang a right, and cross the Cascades into the Yakima Valley, cross Washington, into Montana, cross the Rockies, then into North Dakota, Minnesota, then hang another right and follow the Mississippi River down through Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri, hang a left and cross into Kentucky, then back home to Virginia. Backroads the whole way, no highways, camp out each night, probably around 5500 miles in total.

My buddy in California, who has, appropriately, a Moto Guzzi California, claims he'll ride with me, but he said so last year as well and never got his bike even started. We'll see.

I plan on taking 24 days this time (did it in 14 last time, which was rushed).
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 10:15:32 PM
Sounds like a nice trip Harry, that's a lot of camping  :114: I'll look forward to seeing that trip report.
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 04:41:14 AM
*Originally Posted by harryhendo [+]
This July/August, I'm going to ship the X from Virginia to California again (as I did last year, see trip report "CA to VA"), then go up the pacific coast through northern California, Oregon, then up into Washington State, hang a right, and cross the Cascades into the Yakima Valley, cross Washington, into Montana, cross the Rockies, then into North Dakota, Minnesota, then hang another right and follow the Mississippi River down through Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri, hang a left and cross into Kentucky, then back home to Virginia. Backroads the whole way, no highways, camp out each night, probably around 5500 miles in total.

My buddy in California, who has, appropriately, a Moto Guzzi California, claims he'll ride with me, but he said so last year as well and never got his bike even started. We'll see.

I plan on taking 24 days this time (did it in 14 last time, which was rushed).

Sounds like an amazing trip.  I've done pieces of that--from Spokane out to Minneapolis and down the Mississippi--but not all at once and in hotels at night!

Offline Vacarider

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 06:36:49 PM
Planning a 4,000 mile ride with a fried visiting from abroad in May (novel virus permitting).
2018 CB500X with Rally Raid level 2 suspension but stock wheels and a 2017 Africa Twin DCT.
Can't wait and praying for things to calm down in time to get on the road!

https://a.rever.co/rides/1666126

victorious-backstage