Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RallyRaid Skid Plate with Center Stand ?  (Read 730 times)

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: RallyRaid Skid Plate with Center Stand ?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I am likely going to be purchasing a 2020 CB500X, and had been planning to get a centerstand.  I was not aware of the considerations you described above (and elsewhere), which have really got me re-considering the utility of the centerstand.  Thanks for patiently explaining.

One of the products you linked to above (Endurostar Trailstand) mentions that it can also be used to raise the front tire (not just rear tire) off the ground. However, it caveats this claim with the following statement:

Varying motorcycle geometry may make front wheel lifting impractical on some motorcycles but it can be accomplished on many models if a 3/8" diameter hole (or larger) is located on the right front or side of a skidplate.

Does the RR skidplate (or any other you might be aware of) incorporate such a hole?  Thanks.

If you have a look on YouTube - Blancolirio made a video about using the Endurostar Trailstand with his CB500X, that should explain all you need to know - and [spoiler alert!] yes, it does work should the need arise.

As I suggested above, if your intention is to use the bike more seriously off-road, then having the best engine protection is a really good idea - and more so if you still have limited/standard travel and ground clearance of a stock bike - as the sump is particularly vulnerable to impact both from directly underneath and also any forward impact and/or a rock or log flicked up by the front wheel.

If however, you only ever intend to ride more modest surface terrain, then a more simple skid-plate might well suffice, and one which may well allow you to also fit a centre stand should you wish... Personally though, I think you'll find this bike encourages you to explore, so I wouldn't risk potentially damaging the engine cases and leaving yourself stranded and/or with an expensive and time-consuming repair/replacement to undertake.

As you are probably aware, I have ridden these bikes over many tens of thousands of miles now -including some extremely arduous terrain and some seemingly endless highway miles too - and not once have I ever wished I had a centre stand...

...however, more than once I have wished I'd had tubeless spoked wheels fitted, which is why I now have - much easier to plug a repair and get going again without ever needed to lift (never mind complete remove) the rear wheel ;o)

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Pine,Arizona USA
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 03:20:08 PM »
JMo:  Off the center stand topic here a bit but since RR made a great Skid Plate, why not another 3" in the rear to protect the linkage?

After much back & forth, I installed my RR basher yesterday; VERY pleased (UK to Arizona = 3 days!) but will install header protection & maybe a fender extender up front.  Just wonder at times about the linkage...

Thoughts?  Thx much, Bob in AZ/USA
Bob from AZ/USA

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by bobwombat [+]
JMo:  Off the center stand topic here a bit but since RR made a great Skid Plate, why not another 3" in the rear to protect the linkage?

After much back & forth, I installed my RR basher yesterday; VERY pleased (UK to Arizona = 3 days!) but will install header protection & maybe a fender extender up front.  Just wonder at times about the linkage...

Thoughts?  Thx much, Bob in AZ/USA

Hi Bob - I can see where you're coming from there, but we found it really wasn't necessary - the linkage is actually tucked up higher than the base of the engine-guard already, while the distance between be rear of the engine guard (where it mounts to the frame) and the tyre is so short that should you be sliding on the bottom of the engine guard your tyre is going to be up and over whatever it is before any damage to the linkage is likely to occur.

This has been borne out time and time again with real world testing too - in the same way that our decision not to enclose the exhaust headers has not led to any damage either (again because the leading edge of the engine guard itself is around an inch and a half below the headers to protect against any direct impact, while the space between the rear of the front tyre and headers is so short, that you'd have to be really unlucky and get the right sized log or something jammed up in there, which again is something that almost never happens if you are riding with any forward momentum...)

However, I can appreciate you might want to keep dirt of the headers, and in that instance something like a fender-extender is a simple and cost effective addition.

Personally I like to wear my baked-on grime with pride!

Hope that clarifies things, and allays any concerns you might have had!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Pine,Arizona USA
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 09:24:09 PM »
JMo, many thx as always; won't worry about the rear linkage w/the RR basher. then...  Considered the slick SW Motech but I really like the RR gear from KTM days & don't see the need for a rear stand; paddock stands in the garage & a long-time EnduroStar Trail Stand from dirt bike days in my kit.

Btw, huge thx to this excellent Forum on a great many topics for a 500X newb like me; "Encyclopedia JMo" needs to be a CBX Hall of Famer.  Cheers all & ride safely, Bob in AZ/USA
Bob from AZ/USA

Recent Topics