Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help Spec-ing a 2019/20 CB500X  (Read 1292 times)

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Eastern Shore
Re: Help Spec-ing a 2019/20 CB500X
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by MacDoc [+]
Madstad screen with winglets is superb.

Took it Cross Canada last year.

Big tank bag ( 20-27 L ) with the side cases works for shorter trips. The X-country was 17 days. I just used a spare 20L bag on the pillion.

The Shad are very light and the mounting almost invisible when the bags are on on.

Nice set-up. When touring, are you camping, staying at hotels or a mix?
Greetings from the land of Pleasant Living!

Online woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 04:41:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
The availability of an aftermarket adjustable center stand suggests I should hold off on purchasing the oem option, given I expect to lower this bike 30mm.

On the 16-18 X, the f and cbr models had the same fitting points for the centre stand but the difference in height with the f models being shorter.

This fitted my old man's cbr a treat (which is listed as not having a centre stand available!) and I'd imagine would be a winner in your scenario also, you could measure the lowered height on your new X and compare to the f height and have a look in the showroom for fitting points. I'd imagine the fitting points should be same on newer bike too  :152:

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 10:42:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by woody [+]
On the 16-18 X, the f and cbr models had the same fitting points for the centre stand but the difference in height with the f models being shorter.

This fitted my old man's cbr a treat (which is listed as not having a centre stand available!) and I'd imagine would be a winner in your scenario also, you could measure the lowered height on your new X and compare to the f height and have a look in the showroom for fitting points. I'd imagine the fitting points should be same on newer bike too  :152:

Thats an interesting possibility.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »
Just to confirm, the 2019 has a different centre stand to the pre 19 bikes, you cant fit an early stand to the later model. So make sure whichever stand you go for its definitely for the 2019 on bikes.

I've just fitted the OEM 12v socket to my 2019 and I'd definitely recommend it. It's easy to fit and connect and looks well made. Well worth the 25 it cost, no point going for a cheap one from Ebay. If your dealer wants anything more than a few quid for fitting then I'd do it myself. It really is a 10min job - especially once you know how to remove the side panel like a dealer should. My dealer wanted 60 for fitting it!!!

Online woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 11:17:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
Just to confirm, the 2019 has a different centre stand to the pre 19 bikes, you cant fit an early stand to the later model. So make sure whichever stand you go for its definitely for the 2019 on bikes.

Yes, I should have made that clearer, compare a 2019 X and F. There is literally only a couple fitting points, 5 min job. Just needs some strength to get the spring attached.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 11:19:18 AM »
Also better add that the hanguards are ok as long as you don't need protection from drops/crashes etc. They are also easy to fit yourself and suit the bike well. I've just fitted Barkbusters to mine though as I wanted a bit more protection.

Heated grips from Honda are really expensive, in the UK they are something like 400 fitted! I'm sure they are good and fit well but 400?!
I've just fitted a pair of generic Honda ones which cost me about 90. They are what honda used to supply up to about 2012 and have a separate switch unlike the newer ones. But they still look ok, work well and are still OEM. You can usually find them on ebay (new) for about 100.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
Ah yes, I see what you mean now Woody, so a 2019 stand for the F might be shorter for use with a lowered X.

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 03:25:15 PM »
For me the heated grips are probably the #1 must-have accessory, perhaps rivaled only by the center stand and a phone mount. My heated grips get heavy use and extend my riding into weather that's about 10-15 degrees lower than I'd do otherwise. I like the idea of the heated gloves as an option, and I guess that's something to consider. But I do like having the ability to heat my hands anytime the need arises without having to plug in or swap gloves. In the US Midwest, it's not uncommon to have a day of riding with perfect weather, except for the part that's early in the morning or late in the evening--the heated grips come in very handy during those outlier hours.

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback.  So, summarizing a few recent suggestions, and some questions they raise:

12V Socket: Definite yes, but install myself if they try to gouge me on labor.

Oem Handguards:  Decent, but not best choice for maximum hand protection.  Consider Barkbusters or similar.

Heated Grips:  Am still a little fuzzy here.  The oem grips for the cb500x are considered pricey, but other cheaper heated grips from Honda are available???  Wouldnt the heated grips specific to the cb500x be the best fit/match?  And how are the CB500X heated grips switched?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 02:36:47 PM by VA-CB500X »

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »
I only have experience with the OEM heated grips, so I can't speak about the aftermarket options. I ordered mine through the dealer and had them installed during the initial 600 mile maintenance (along with a center stand). The grips (parts and installation) cost me about $350--that was in 2016 though, so costs may have changed. For a motorcycle I purchased new for around $5000 and intend to keep for a long, long time, the $350 grips are a bargain in my mind.

As for the accessory port, I use this cheapo I bought off Amazon for $7:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVK5BSR

I'm luke warm on this USB port. It plugs into the line I already had coming off my battery for trickle charging, so it was a breeze to install myself. I don't use it often--typically only on trips. It's got an on-off switch, and I guess you could drain the battery if you forget to turn it off and leave the bike sitting for a long time.

Recent Topics