Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CB500X RR vs BMW G650GS Help me choose  (Read 776 times)

Offline dmski

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
CB500X RR vs BMW G650GS Help me choose
« on: January 17, 2020, 05:16:34 AM »
Hi all, long time lurker here and first time posting. I've learned a great deal of wealth so thank you all in advance!

I have recently been looking into my next ADV bike and two are at the top of the list. The CB500X with the Rally Raid kit (i'd be purchasing a used bike and modifying it myself) or the BMW G650GS (likely the Sertao variant as that seems to check all the boxes for me).

A little about me, I'm 6ft and have owned DR and DRZ's but I'm looking for a more modern fuel system, the ability to do freeways comfortably but can still do some decent offroad once I get to the trails and moto camping. I like that the CB500 has great reliability, and with the RR setup it looks amazing, is unique and certainly seems to hold it's own offroad. I like what I see in the BMW's, although a single cylinder does seem like it might get old on longer hauls, not to mention BMW prices on parts. From what I've heard though that Rotax engine is pretty reliable. I also take the wife around town but that's less of a requirement and an added plus for the short ride to dinner.

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear opinions from those who have ridden both bikes on what I may or may not be missing. Costs are relatively even since in my area the Sertao seems to hold it's value pretty well.

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Re: CB500X RR vs BMW G650GS Help me choose
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 08:42:47 AM »
The new 700 tnr?

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »
If you are asking on this Forum the answer ought to be the Honda every time - of course we are mostly all very biased here!!!!

:305: :152: :046: :046:

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 09:55:04 AM »
I'm in the same situation as you dmski. Looking for my next bike  :050:

IMO the Honda is a much better looking bike and the build quality will be better than a BMW. But the BMW will be a better bet if you want to carry a pillion
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline glencoeman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
I own a 2016 CB500X but used to own a 2004 F650GS (more or less the same as the G650GS with different plastics). I never had any problems with the BMW over nearly 9 years of ownership but they were built in Germany whereas the G650Gs is built in the far east, just like the Honda (the earlier F650 Funduro was built by Aprillia). Servicing costs are similar in that both bikes are a pain to check valve clearances as both require removing lots of parts. The BMW will cruise reasonably fast on the motorway (the Honda is better on the motorway) and would probably be a better off road bike than the CB500X in standard guise. Not much difference in fuel consumption or top speed between the two. I wish I had kept the BMW as it's a nice bike to ride. Best thing is to try and get a test ride on both bikes as bike experiences are different for every rider.

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 10:36:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by glencoeman [+]
The BMW will cruise reasonably fast on the motorway (the Honda is better on the motorway)

Just what I was thinking. The 650SC I had was great until I hit 70 mph then the engine vibration was just unacceptable to me. That 650 was the genuine Rotax version, so might not apply to later models with Chinese engines.

https://motorbikewriter.com/bmw-g-650-gs-sertao-motorcycle-review/
Brian.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 02:20:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by dmski [+]
The CB500X with the Rally Raid kit (i'd be purchasing a used bike and modifying it myself) or the BMW G650GS (likely the Sertao variant as that seems to check all the boxes for me).
I own both a Honda and a BMW, albeit the BMW is a boxer engine model with shaft drive, unique and in their lineage. I can't fathom why anyone would buy an vertical piston engine BMW with a chain drive. It just doesn't make much sense to me to pay the premium in price, service, and parts when Honda, Yamaha, etc. have been producing exceptional vertical engine chain driven bikes for so long. In other words, what's the differentiation besides the status of owning a BMW?
The parallel twin Honda engine is in Honda's lineage for as long as BMW's boxer engine lineage, and to me, Honda seems to have it down cold. It runs smoothly and efficiently, with outstanding reliability, efficiency, and ease of maintenance.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:45:49 PM by harryhendo »
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline dmski

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 02:43:35 PM »
You guys are awesome! Thank you all for the replies. Posting in a Honda forum will naturally get a Honda feel but I want to hear from those that have had experiences with both platforms. Cruising at freeway speeds is a must for me just simply to get to the trails so Im trying to limit the amount of vibrations I would feel about 70 mph. My Cb500x test ride didnt give me enough time to feel how it would be at high speed, but below 50 it felt smooth as butter.

Off-road comparison on paper would lead me to believe the BMW would be better initially but with the rally raid kid I feel like that brings the CB 500 to the same level.

Offline Sweeper

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 CB500x
  • City / Town: Hartselle,AL
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »
If you intend to off-road, look at the cost of replacement parts. These Honda's are really reasonable for replacement parts. Honda has done an excellent job of bring the cost down on these things and it pays off.
I haven't owned a BMW bike for years but one reason is the cost of parts for keeping it on the road.
My bet would be that the Honda wins. Mine never fails to put a smile on my face.

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 08:03:20 PM »
Do a bit of searching online - I'm sure I've read of a few starting/reliability problems on the small BMW - I think it was on youtube reviews.

Even if I'm wrong (and my wife tells me I often am! :008:), I'd go for a twin over a single cylinder bike.....
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Recent Topics