Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CB500X RR vs BMW G650GS Help me choose  (Read 777 times)

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: CB500X RR vs BMW G650GS Help me choose
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »
I own a RR CB500X, which Iíve ridden on a 13,000 mile trip from London to Beijing.

Iíve never owned a Sertao but I have spent 3 weeks riding one around the gravel roads of Iceland.

Iím used to bigger road bikes.  I own a 1200GS - my second BMW - and am a fan of the brand.

For proper dual-sport riding/touring Iíd pick the RR Honda over the Sertao every time.  Thereís very little to choose between them in terms of weight or power but the twin is vastly superior - for the tarmac sections in particular.  I suspect the cost of ownership comes down in favour of the Honda too and reliability is no competition.

Last thing is that the quality of the RR kit, especially the Tractive suspension, which is really top-notch.

In 13,000 miles, including crossing Tibet and riding all the dirt roads of the Wakhan Valley, the CB never missed a beat.  When it got home the only thing it needed, apart from consumables, was a new front wheel bearing but I reckon that was my fault for continually jet washing it!

I liked the Sertao and would happily ride one again but the CB is a keeper.

Enjoy the process of choosing...

:305:

Offline dmski

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 09:51:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
I own a RR CB500X, which Iíve ridden on a 13,000 mile trip from London to Beijing.

Iíve never owned a Sertao but I have spent 3 weeks riding one around the gravel roads of Iceland.

Iím used to bigger road bikes.  I own a 1200GS - my second BMW - and am a fan of the brand.

For proper dual-sport riding/touring Iíd pick the RR Honda over the Sertao every time.  Thereís very little to choose between them in terms of weight or power but the twin is vastly superior - for the tarmac sections in particular.  I suspect the cost of ownership comes down in favour of the Honda too and reliability is no competition.

Last thing is that the quality of the RR kit, especially the Tractive suspension, which is really top-notch.

In 13,000 miles, including crossing Tibet and riding all the dirt roads of the Wakhan Valley, the CB never missed a beat.  When it got home the only thing it needed, apart from consumables, was a new front wheel bearing but I reckon that was my fault for continually jet washing it!

I liked the Sertao and would happily ride one again but the CB is a keeper.

Enjoy the process of choosing...

This right here is exactly what Iím looking for. You answered a lot of the questions I had in my mind, and the twin is definitely the big draw along with getting really good suspension from RR when the time comes to doing the upgrades. Your trip sounds like it was amazing and Iím very jealous! Hoping this next bike might be the one I can do the TAT or up to Alaska and the Honda sounds like it might be a better fit for this kind of a trip.

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 10:01:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by dmski [+]
This right here is exactly what Iím looking for. You answered a lot of the questions I had in my mind, and the twin is definitely the big draw along with getting really good suspension from RR when the time comes to doing the upgrades. Your trip sounds like it was amazing and Iím very jealous! Hoping this next bike might be the one I can do the TAT or up to Alaska and the Honda sounds like it might be a better fit for this kind of a trip.

Iíve also ridden up the Dalton (on a 1200GS).  If I did it again, Iíd take the Honda without hesitation.

The only thing the Honda could really do with is 20 more bhp (and 20 less kg :-)

If I were buying again, Iíd look at the Yamaha 700 Tenere but Iím too attached to Litte Red (my RR CB) to contemplate changing now...

Offline dmski

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 08:32:35 PM »
Well, I was able to ride both bikes and I have to say, the CB500 just seemed a little more put together and for the price Iíve found it for, I can now happily say Iím the proud owner of a CB500X!

Thanks to all who responded to this forum. It helped sway the decision. I canít wait to get this thing up to speed in maintenance and start adding the RR kit! Now does anyone have rally raid parts they are trying to get rid of ;)

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 08:39:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by dmski [+]
Well, I was able to ride both bikes and I have to say, the CB500 just seemed a little more put together and for the price Iíve found it for, I can now happily say Iím the proud owner of a CB500X!

Thanks to all who responded to this forum. It helped sway the decision. I canít wait to get this thing up to speed in maintenance and start adding the RR kit! Now does anyone have rally raid parts they are trying to get rid of ;)

Hope time proves it was a good decision. Welcome to the club :-)

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »
Congratulations!

Recent Topics