Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda win the Dakar Rally!  (Read 1230 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Honda win the Dakar Rally!
« on: January 17, 2020, 04:31:01 PM »

It took a while for ALL the pieces to fall into place, but finally Honda HRC have won the Dakar Rally, and ended KTM's 18 year dominance of the event.

In a double celebration, it is also the first time a US rider has won the Dakar: #9 Ricky Brabec, and as a bonus his fellow countrymen #405 Cassey Currie & Sean Berriman also won the SSV buggy class too this year!

photo. #9 Ricky Brabec is the first US competitor to win the Dakar.

2-time moto winner #1 Toby Price took another third place on his KTM this year (to match his debut result as a privateer back in 2015), and his team mates #2 Matthias Walkner and #16 Luciano Benavides were not far behind in 5th and 6th respectively in the overall standings.

However, in what must be a huge disappointment to the Mattighofen factory, it was actually their albino cousin (Husqvarna) ridden by #5 Pablo Quintanilla who took the runner-up spot this year; and equally, the Honda HRC factory riders also finished 4th (#17 Jose 'Nacho' Cornejo) and 7th (#12 Joan Barreda Bort), so it seems that perhaps the KTM dominance of this event is finally coming to a close - or more importantly perhaps, that the other factory teams and riders are now clearly capable of matching them on equal terms (a combination of rider, machine and overall team management), which can only bode well for the future of the moto class in this event.

Right, I'm off out to pull a wheelie on my Honda to celebrate!

Jenny x
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:41:52 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
Re: Honda win the Dakar Rally!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »
Excellent!!!! :062:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 06:17:42 PM »
Be even more impressive if hed done it on a RR CB500...

:745: :745:

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 07:09:11 PM »
Love it I am glad HRC is putting it together

Offline skidooboy

• CB500X Member
  • Where does that trail go?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: L4 Kordylewski
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 02:36:37 AM »
sooo

A CRF450 Raly Dakar edition should be in development right about now eh?
Go Jets Go!!!

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 05:36:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by skidooboy [+]
sooo

A CRF450 Raly Dakar edition should be in development right about now eh?

*Originally Posted by flipflopdog, post: 39201923, member: 198421
The most buoyant genre of motorcycle sales has to be the Adventure Bike market currently I would of thought. Whilst the world stops spinning around the first week in January for all f5 followers youd be shocked how many adventure bike riders will let the Dakar pass by unobserved, quite a sad reflection really.
As I type here & now I cant remember where the debate is or Honda themselves are with the CRF450 L Rally version that they could of/ should of built..??

Honda did show a 'concept' CRF450L 'Rally' at EICMA (at the end of 2018) - built around the CRF450L, but with what looked like a very production-ready tower, tank and fairing/skid plate fitted, it even had turn-signals and DOT lights fitted.

Now they've finally won a Dakar [this century], perhaps that will get the green light for 2020? - it's not a full-on RFR of course, but fundamentally the bike is street legal in the US (and all around the world), and would be a great 'everyman' (and woman ;o) basis as a privateer rally bike for mere mortals?

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »
Good job, Honda.  Congrats to their Dakar team.

I dont know much about this class of bikes, so every time I study the Honda website I scratch my head and wonder about the cost of the CRF450L.  Why is it so much more expensive than the 250 and 650, or the CB500X for that matter?  Im sure there is good reason - - Im genuinely curious to be educated.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Good job, Honda.  Congrats to their Dakar team.

I dont know much about this class of bikes, so every time I study the Honda website I scratch my head and wonder about the cost of the CRF450L.  Why is it so much more expensive than the 250 and 650, or the CB500X for that matter?  Im sure there is good reason - - Im genuinely curious to be educated.

Hi VA' - in a nutshell, the CRF450L is a competition specification enduro bike, with added street-legal/homologation equipment.

The component specifications and the materials they are made from are all top quality - the DID wheels, Showa [fully adjustable & tuneable/rebuildable] suspension, and engine itself are all top quality and light weight, while the frame itself is made from beautifully crafted extruded aluminium, not simple steel tubes welded together.

What you are paying for is the precision and refinement that went into the design and specification compared to a more mainstream and budget/price conscious motorcycle. They also make comparatively few of them, so the return on the R&D investment is not nearly so high based on volume sales alone.

Yes, it is expensive when compared to the CRF250L which was always pitched as an affordable and entry-level fun trail/dual-sport bike (compared to the pukka CRF250R and X models, which are competition enduro bikes and share a similar specification to their 450cc siblings); while the XR650L is, lets face it, a grandfather design both literally and metaphorically - so has long paid for itself over the years it's been in production with regard to the initial* R&D investment.

*I'd say 'ongoing' too, but we all know there has been no further development of that bike since about 1995 ;o)

Similarly, the CB500X is also pitched as a 'world market' entry level/affordable bike, being designed and constructed with very much with a strict budget price point in mind.

Hope that makes sense?

Jenny x

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 04:02:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi VA' - in a nutshell, the CRF450L is a competition specification enduro bike, with added street-legal/homologation equipment.

The component specifications and the materials they are made from are all top quality - the DID wheels, Showa [fully adjustable & tuneable/rebuildable] suspension, and engine itself are all top quality and light weight, while the frame itself is made from beautifully crafted extruded aluminium, not simple steel tubes welded together.

What you are paying for is the precision and refinement that went into the design and specification compared to a more mainstream and budget/price conscious motorcycle. They also make comparatively few of them, so the return on the R&D investment is not nearly so high based on volume sales alone.

Yes, it is expensive when compared to the CRF250L which was always pitched as an affordable and entry-level fun trail/dual-sport bike (compared to the pukka CRF250R and X models, which are competition enduro bikes and share a similar specification to their 450cc siblings); while the XR650L is, lets face it, a grandfather design both literally and metaphorically - so has long paid for itself over the years it's been in production with regard to the initial* R&D investment.

*I'd say 'ongoing' too, but we all know there has been no further development of that bike since about 1995 ;o)

Similarly, the CB500X is also pitched as a 'world market' entry level/affordable bike, being designed and constructed with very much with a strict budget price point in mind.

Hope that makes sense?

Jenny x

That makes perfect sense.  Thanks for taking the time to educate me.  Much appreciated.

I recently saw a brand new 250L-Rally parked at a trailhead.  Very sharp looking bike.  Cant begin to imagine how nice that 450 must be!

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »
I remember when it was called the Paris-Dakar rally.
Having lived both in Paris and in Dakar (Senegal) still feels strange that the rally has nothing to with neither Paris nor Dakar . I remember sitting in the VIP section with my father at the start of the rally in Paris and a few years after that at the finish in Dakar Senegal.
Heck since Im dating myself, I remember the East African Safari rally on the other side of Africa in the early 70s having lived there too (Kenya).
These races are absolute murder on riders and equipment , I understand why Honda won it this time around.

Recent Topics