Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda win the Dakar Rally!  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Wedgetail

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Gympie
Re: Honda win the Dakar Rally!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 06:33:30 AM »
Mmmm...if it has to be true, I'm going to cling to the belief that it was this Jazz.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 06:38:07 AM »
PS...I dont believe the world is flat,but one could be forgiven for thinking it was if you were born and lived in Holland all your life 🥴

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by MacDoc [+]
Walk like a duck, quacks like a duck, likely is a duck. I don't for minute think it's a myth.

Dont be obtuse. You may not be familiar with automotive engine architecture, but just look at a technical drawing of the two engines side by side - they are competely different designs, specific to their respective applications.

The Jazz has a conventional inline four powertrain with a dry cluch and gearbox on the end - the NC has a conventional parallel twin engine with the cassette style gearbox directly behind the crankshaft and driven through counter-rotating gear/wet clutch assembly.

The only thing shared is their modest RPM charatersitics in an effort to produce high constent torque typically suited for driving an automatic gearbox* and good fuel economy.

*for info. Even their approach to their  automatic transmission option is fundamentally different: of The NC engine has a DCT [that is twin] clutch controlling a series of fixed ratio manual gears - similar to that used in the VFR1200 and Africa Twin; while the Jazz has a conventional torque converter slush box CVT auto. At one point they did introduced a single [dry] automated manual clutch (which was clunky as hell - my parents had one) but soon reverted to a conventional torque converter CVT style for the current automatic version.

Jx
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:37:35 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 06:57:18 PM »
Honda Jazz engine is traditional crankshaft, NC750 is crossplane. This single fact makes them completely different. All this fuss with "splitted Jazz engine" is for journos that doesn't know anything about mechanics. Then one journo copy-pasted to another and voila - NC750 has half engine from Honda Jazz  :138:

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 10:51:28 PM »
Slightly off topic here but I believe Rally Raid were one of the first to pre order a T& and then it went (almost) to Tractive to work on the suspension...
I am fortunate enough to have a 19my CB500x,I bought it as I'm suffering from a knee injury so I needed a lower bike until healed (if ever) until then,my T7 is in storage.
I intended to use the 500x until that time but I have to say that of all the bikes I have ever owned..and that totals over thirty..the  500x was the biggest surprise ever,what a sweet little thing it is and it really puts a smile on my face to ride it...so,its now a keeper.

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X MY2018
  • City / Town: Ashford
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 09:17:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
<SNIP>
*for info. Even their approach to their  automatic transmission option is fundamentally different: of The NC engine has a DCT [that is twin] clutch controlling a series of fixed ratio manual gears - similar to that used in the VFR1200 and Africa Twin; while the Jazz has a conventional torque converter slush box CVT auto. At one point they did introduced a single [dry] automated manual clutch (which was clunky as hell - my parents had one) but soon reverted to a conventional torque converter CVT style for the current automatic version.

Jx

I don't think that's correct...my understanding is that a 'conventional' torque converter box and a CVT (continually variable transmission) system aren't the same thing. CVT has belts being driven from variable pulleys or similar.

Regards
Ross

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 03:35:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumpyzuma [+]
I don't think that's correct...my understanding is that a 'conventional' torque converter box and a CVT (continually variable transmission) system aren't the same thing. CVT has belts being driven from variable pulleys or similar.

Regards
Ross

Yes, I apologise for not making myself clear in that regard, I am aware that CVT refers to 'continually variable transmission' (as you say most usually a pair of opposing cones with some kind of belt between them, that essentially uses rotational force (rpms) to move the belt up and down their faces to alter the final drive ratio); and that a torque converter tends to use the pressure of hydraulic fluid to engage drive - but equally both are often referred to as 'slush drive' [not a technical term of course] due to the progressive nature of the way power is fed from the crankshaft to the rest of the transmission.

However, all this really does is highlight the fact that neither are what is inside an NC engine.

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Recent Topics