Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery charging and engine RPM’s question  (Read 444 times)

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Battery charging and engine RPM’s question
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:23:22 PM »
Does anyone KNOW if the charging system charges at near full capacity at idle ? I know some automotive and motorcycle charging systems ramp up battery charge at certain RPMs.
Reason I ask is that I start and idle my engine once a week if the bike has been sitting. Should it be better for me to hold the throttle at lets say 2000 RPMs or am I getting adequate charging at idle?
Looking for a conclusive answer not speculation.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:25:36 PM by CB-500-X »

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
Re: Battery charging and engine RPM’s question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:15:50 PM »
Well here's some speculation for you even if you don't want it!

I'd say no, idle isn't enough. Especially on these new fangled machines that not only have lights but insist on them being on all the time!

It should be easy enough to check though with a voltmeter accross the battery.

My theory is that it's best to start and idle it as little as possible if leaving for long periods. Unless you get the bike really hot (the oil not just coolant) it only really helps by charging the battery a little (not much with those darn lights!) and getting fresher fuel in the system.

Over the last 3 or 4 months mine has been stood and I've probably only started it 2 or 3 times. I usually let it get warm then rev it to 2 or 3k until the fan comes on then run it another 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm sure some would say it's best not to start it at all and just hook it up to a battery monitor/charger.

Anyway, some nice speculation to mull over!

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 11:39:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
Does anyone KNOW if the charging system charges at near full capacity at idle ?

I don't have electrical specifications for the 500X, but i can take for example... my car :001:.
The battery have a capacity of 65 A/h.
The alternator give 22 A at 1300 rpm, 50 at 2500 and 67 at 5000.
Idle is at 700 rpm only...
At 1300 rpm it take 65/22=2.95 hours for a complete battery charge.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:03:12 AM »
Thank you both . I am aware of the general parameters and theories but was looking for specifics , i'm sure someone has put a meter to the charging system/Battery.
PS : I am still running the original battery which is still going strong since 2014.

Online motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 04:20:06 AM »
running the bike for that short period is not enough to keep the battery up-most bikes have a max charge rate at 5,000 rpm's which would be around 14.5V-if you don't have one you need a small trickle charger no more than 1 amp
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »
I notice very little variation of the charge rate between idle and higher RPM's at no battery load. But when I have my heated jacket running, heated gloves on, heated grips and aux lights on low I get 13.7 on the voltmeter at 5,000 RPM. At idle, 12.4, need to shut down something.

As mentioned, I would recommend a trickle charger over occasional idling.
Just damn happy to be here...

Online motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 04:21:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
I notice very little variation of the charge rate between idle and higher RPM's at no battery load. But when I have my heated jacket running, heated gloves on, heated grips and aux lights on low I get 13.7 on the voltmeter at 5,000 RPM. At idle, 12.4, need to shut down something.

As mentioned, I would recommend a trickle charger over occasional idling.
I reason you see what you see is normal when your battery is at full charge anything around 13.5 or over is enough to keep it charged- heated grips act as a dead short and consume a lot of current and with them on ridding at low speeds will not keep the battery at full charge that's why a volt meter is a good thing to have if you run a lot of electrical accessories on a bike this size with such limited charging capacity

It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
  • City / Town: Elgin
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 07:32:44 PM »
Personally I never run up a stored bike (I store at least one of my bikes over the winter).
The stored bike is fully serviced and fresh oil and a new filter are fitted.
The brake pads are moved away from the discs a little to help stop them binding to the disc.
The battery is removed and stored fully charged indoors, away from the freezing winter temperatures we have in the north of Scotland (freezing when compared with southern areas of the UK, not Canada  :015:). It is given a top up charge once a month during it's winter hibernation.

My over winter in-use bike is placed onto a trickle charger at least once a week to help keep the battery fully charged (cold temps and shortish commuted take there toll on batteries).

Just my mutterings.

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 07:50:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
running the bike for that short period is not enough to keep the battery up-most bikes have a max charge rate at 5,000 rpm's which would be around 14.5V-if you don't have one you need a small trickle charger no more than 1 amp
and also mentioned by ncroadtoad - a trickle charger / battery conditioner is the most reliable way to maintain a battery - either on or off the bike.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 10:21:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
I reason you see what you see is normal when your battery is at full charge anything around 13.5 or over is enough to keep it charged- heated grips act as a dead short and consume a lot of current and with them on ridding at low speeds will not keep the battery at full charge that's why a volt meter is a good thing to have if you run a lot of electrical accessories on a bike this size with such limited charging capacity

Disclaimer: My expertise in electricity is that I know it will shock you.

I do run a voltmeter on the bike, all my bikes have had one. As to the electrical output on the CB500X, it's pretty damn good - especially for a bike it's size. I believe the output is 500w (on my 2013) and if so that is better than my 2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000LT and better than any of the Vstrom 650's I owned. Both of them (and a lot of other bikes) were in the 400's. 

My standard "extra" electrical load is just aux lights and grips/jacket when it's cold, no more than 160w if everything is on 80% and it's dark. When it's really cold, this morning my ride (short ride) was 24 degrees, I broke out the heated gloves too. But, since is was daylight and none of the heat was running 100%, I'd say I was pulling around 180w, more or less. and I was very warm...  The power draw was OK at speed, but you don't want to idle to long  :001:

Kinda off the subject of idling to keep the battery charged - sorry.  But, like catstevecam and Steve T said, just trickle charge it and if you don't have power at the bike, pull the battery and bring in inside. I do that with my mower in the winter. Get a good trickle charger though, not a place to save a few bucks.

Cheers

Just damn happy to be here...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage