Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sometimes I just get lucky.  (Read 714 times)

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Eastern Shore
Sometimes I just get lucky.
« on: January 22, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »
In March of last year I went shopping for a motorcycle. I did my homework on the interwebs and had kinda decided on the CB500f. I took a good friend of mine to a dealership with me. I checked out the "F" and liked it, well at least sitting on it. My friend says "over here, budsit on this one. Way more comfortable. But those tire track graphics were kill'in me. It was a NOS '17 model in candy red (one of my all-time favorite colors). I ended up buying it. The price was right.

Spent the Summer learning to ride it (I'm a 62 year-old neophyte). The learning curve isn't too bad as I did ride dirt bikes, but you never encounter traffic in the woods. Just trees and I met a lot of them.

All that is to say that I really like this bugger. Given a little more time and I'd like to go wander around the country a while and I think this is just the bike to do it with. Not too big, not too small and is very happy on a back road, dirt road, and the like. I'm not over keen on crowded highways and so I avoid them when I can. Also, the bike doesn't feel as "planted" at speed, but I'm thinking it may have to have it's wheels balanced. Is that a thing with cast wheels? My friend suggests that it may be engine vibration, but I really don't know. It may very well be me and my lack of experience. Still a bit of a chicken st on twisty's and high speed curves. I'll get over it.

Bottom line: I'm having a lot of fun on it and I feel like I got lucky with it's purchase. Lucky in that it's pleasure to ride and that it was relatively inexpensive to get started out on.That and every month or so I'll get some new trinket to put on, which is kinda fun in itself to do some wrench'in on it and become familiar with it's workings.

Oh yeah, and lucky to discover this forum. A wealth of knowledge, know-how and nice photos. As I go along, I'll try and contribute more or at least let ya know how I'm getting along. Thanks everyone!

Greetings from the land of Pleasant Living!

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: Sometimes I just get lucky.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 05:01:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by foamy [+]
Also, the bike doesn't feel as "planted" at speed,

It's a very delicate little bike. Be gentle with it, relax on the bars. I've cruised for hours at 80+mph. It's no problem in winds.

It does have a natural vibration at 5000 rpm.

Somewhere on here there is a thread on someone crossing the USA, no problem at all. Another reported passing 100,000 km on his.

It's one hell of a little bike.
Brian.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
Glad to hear you're enjoying it  :001:

but I'm thinking it may have to have it's wheels balanced. Is that a thing with cast wheels? 
Cast wheels are the same as spoked wheels and need balancing. Does your bike have crash bars? Some say they make a lot of vibes  :190:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 06:10:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
It's a very delicate little bike. Be gentle with it, relax on the bars. I've cruised for hours at 80+mph. It's no problem in winds.

It does have a natural vibration at 5000 rpm.

Somewhere on here there is a thread on someone crossing the USA, no problem at all. Another reported passing 100,000 km on his.

It's one hell of a little bike.

Thanks hilldweller, that's the first thing I had to learn, to relax my death grip on the bars. Those hundred mile cramps made riding painful and difficult.

And yes, that's where (5,000 rpm) the vibration shows up, thanks for the advice and I'll look up that thread you mentioned. Sounds like a good read.

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
Glad to hear you're enjoying it  :001:
Cast wheels are the same as spoked wheels and need balancing. Does your bike have crash bars? Some say they make a lot of vibes  :190:

No crash bars as of yet. Though I am thinking of the SW Motech's for the simple reason that they're compatible with my SW skid plate.

I'll make an appointment to have the wheels balancedI think it may make a difference as it's the same kind of feel I had when I bought a new car years ago that hadn't had it's wheels balanced, though not nearly as severe. Thanks!

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:28 PM »
Also, the bike doesn't feel as "planted" at speed, but I'm thinking it may have to have it's wheels balanced.

It was a showroom bike? Being 2017 model maybe the tyres has permanent deformation after 2 years if not mantained properly (changing their position, with correct pressure, without touching the floor, etc.).

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 06:46:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
Also, the bike doesn't feel as "planted" at speed, but I'm thinking it may have to have it's wheels balanced.

It was a showroom bike? Being 2017 model maybe the tyres has permanent deformation after 2 years if not mantained properly (changing their position, with correct pressure, without touching the floor, etc.).

Hmmm. I'll look into that as wellthanks!

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 07:59:27 PM »
I'll look up that thread you mentioned. Sounds like a good read.

I just had a quick look in the rides reports section and was amazed at what I saw, rides I'd forgotten about. Such as London to Bangkok, I saw a 74 year old crossing the states and so much more.

Here's the map......
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=f3ac56306b537b96c

Brian.

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
Foamy - it may be an obvious suggestion (but everything obvious once it's pointed out!)

Have you checked the tyre pressures?

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
Enjoy the bike Foamy, you'll get the little problems sorted out once the weather turns warmer and you can start putting some miles on it. If tire pressures are good, the sensation of a planted feel and vibrations may well go away once you get more used to the machine. Hopefully anyway. 
Just damn happy to be here...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage