Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Which crashbars for 2013 cb500x that would save from dropping/lowside?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Erik

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013-CB500XA
  • City / Town: Slovenia
Re: Which crashbars for 2013 cb500x that would save from dropping/lowside?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 06:39:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by bartiz [+]
The bike I bought comes with barkbusters fitted, so being scared of drops I ordered SW-Motech guards: https://www.motohaus.com/crash-bar-black-honda-cb-500-x-13-15.html, unfortunately it says they're out of stock... So might go with something different, Givi? Hepco Becker?

Actually, both hepco as well as sw motech engine guards have only two mounting points and third point is just pushing against each other... Starting to wonder whenever they're any good.
Hi,

There has been much written about the Crach bars in this forum and you can get an impression, what is the advantage of one producer against another. If some of them are a bit more expensive is the last problems - as I read, there are major issues with vibrations and matching mounting holes on bars with holes on bike at some producers (Givi). Take your time and see what has already been written on this subject...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:40:20 AM by Erik »

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »
I haven't crash bars on my bike and when highsided it 2 years ago there was no damage on engine cases. Scratches on fairing and right fork leg, slightly bended fork stiffener with handlebar and that's all. Also broken rib but it healed alone so I can't complain. I think with crashbars the result could be worse - damaged frame or engine mountings.

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 11:16:15 AM »
I have initially fitted GB Racing case covers until I get around to fitting engine bars...simple and quick fit.

Offline gromflake

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »
I bought my X about 18 months ago as my first big bike (I'd been riding a Grom for a year before that).  I dropped it a few times during the first few months - there's a thread on here that I started about my various drops.  Ridiculous, some of them were, all at walking pace or slower.

Anyway, apart from a very slightly bent gear lever that I didn't even notice at first, the only thing to take any damage was the ends of the bars.  As detailed above, I think a set of Barkbusters is the most important bit of protection. 

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
Barkbusters were the first thing I fitted..also just got the Acerbis exhaust protector...there are cheaper ones that do just the same...failing that,some silicone tube and a long zip tie or stainless version or a jubilee hose strap.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by bartiz [+]
I'm not that fit physically and it's going to be my first 'big' bike

If I would like to learn a bit offroading / greenlaning

Those two do not go well together. You look at the videos on YouTube and you see how many times bikes have to be picked up. The Honda is no lightweight to pick up. If you are serious then a 250 trials bike is more appropriate, lighter and little plastic to damage.
Brian.

Offline bartiz

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x 2013
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't want to do any serious trails, I'm aware 500x isn't meant for that and something like CRF250 would do me much better, but I wanted an all around bike, that would get me almost anywhere. ;)

Yes, I've read some of topic that I found about crash bars in this forum. So basically are you saying Givi are crap or just badly fitted?

Online woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MY18 CB500XA
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »
My opinion is the fitting..

Offline bartiz

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x 2013
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
You can certainly learn how to and enjoy riding easy green lanes and trails on your CB, but what is more important than crash bars in that instance is some more all-terrain pattern tyres (and with a 17" front wheel you are really limited to the Continental TKC80 for the front at least) and some hand-guards. With the limited ground clearance especially on a stock bike, you'd be wise to fit some kind of skid-plate/engine guard too - those are the things that will make the most difference and protect your bike if you are riding it off-road.

If you are a novice off-road, then the best advise would be to take a day's training with a company who focus on riding larger 'adventure' style bikes off-road, although the basic principles are much the same even if you're on a more dirt-focused bike of course.

Jx
Bike came with TKC 70 and Barkbusters fitted on it. Don't think I'll touch that.

That's some good advice there. Cheers!

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 07:02:29 PM »
Mr Bartiz,

Im not far from you (Lincolnshire) and know a few easy green lanes in the area that would be ok to have a go on. Would be ok on an X with TKCs and no sump guard - though as JMo points out it would be better to have one just in case.

Id be happy to meet up sometime for a bit of an introduction to easy green lanes. Ive never fallen off mine by the way, maybe Im a really good rider, very careful or just dont push myself! The last two I think! I leave falling off for my lighter bikes though I still try and keep it to a minimum!

PM me if you are interested and well try and get something sorted.

John

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage