Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Shock options for a 2019 500X  (Read 602 times)

Offline catfish

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Concord, CA, USA
Rear Shock options for a 2019 500X
« on: January 27, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »
Hi Folks, I'm looking for an adjustable rear shock for my 2019 Honda CB500X.

What I have found so far...
RR (www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f/2019-honda-cb500x/honda-2019-cb500x-tractive-rear-shock)
Ohlins (www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2019-honda-cb-500x-street-s46-shock-ho-916)
Matris (www.matrisdampers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Honda-CB-500X-19-web.pdf)

Checking Wilbers & Nitron web pages, the 2019 X is not listed. Different length or diameter from previous years?

Who had blazed this path already for a 2019? Which shock did you buy?

The oem shock rebounds quickly with a big overshoot after a good compression. Should be quickly with NO overshoot! <D'OH!> Its kinda ok if ridden normally on smooth roads. I ride track days, rough backroads, & offroad briskly.

The '19s forks are pretty good. Rebound is spot on for oem spring rate. Just needs a gold valve stack to reduce high-speed compression a little.

Thanks for your 2019 shock details! :-)

Catfish ...

PS: I've been a Penske shock customer since 1991. Customized rear shock to your weight & riding style. Kinda like the Wilbers. We prototyped Penske's 1st shock for my 1990 Kawi ZX10, 1997 Honda VTR1000F, and 2002 Aprilia Caponord. Traxxion in Georgia beat me to the 2015 Yamaha FZ07 Penske prototype, so I ordered it from them. :-)

I have grow quite accustom to having full adjustability (preload, compression, rebound, & ride-height) on the rear shock. I have my concerns that the single compression/rebound adjust & only 2 spring rates available on the RR will work for me. Leaning towards Ohlins at this time, to avoid sending shock to Penske to prototype.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Shock options for a 2019 500X
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »
I have the RR shock on my 2019, Ive only done about 150 miles with it fitted so far and have done zero in the way of adjustment. My initial thoughts are that it is a big improvement on the OEM but perhaps not as big an improvement as the the RR shock on my 2013. It may just be that I havent set the sag and played around with the damping. One thing is certain it is a whole lot better than the pogo stick OEM!!

The RR Tractive shock appears to be very well made and comes with modified links - even on the Level 1 - but I wish there had been an option for separate damping adjustment as there is on the Level 2. Still, its less to fiddle around with!

One point to note is that while the OEM shock is enclosed, the RR and I guess all other aftermarket ones arent. On the old X this didnt seem to be much of a problem as there was more protection from the under seat plastics but on the 2019 half of it has been removed. This means a lot more rear wheel crud gets thrown right at the shock which Im sure will effect its longevity. An enduro style splash guard or shock tube is in order I think.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:47:18 PM by japes1275 »

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:57:48 PM »
Hi Catfish - yes, the 2019 model shock has a different shape/length/bottom mounting to the previous generation model.

Whichever brand you end up choosing, it will have to be specifically for the 2019-on model.

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline catfish

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Concord, CA, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 06:04:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
I have the RR shock on my 2019, Ive only done about 150 miles with it fitted so far and have done zero in the way of adjustment.
The RR Tractive shock appears to be very well made and comes with modified links - even on the Level 1 - but I wish there had been an option for separate damping adjustment as there is on the Level 2. Still, its less to fiddle around with!

One point to note is that while the OEM shock is enclosed, the RR and I guess all other aftermarket ones arent.
This means a lot more rear wheel crud gets thrown right at the shock which Im sure will effect its longevity. An enduro style splash guard or shock tube is in order I think.

Thanks for your RR shock info. :-)

Didn't realize the Stage 1 shock comes with modified links. Did seat height stay the same as oem?

My Caponord had the problem of too-much offroad crud getting to exposed shock shaft. I ended up making a rubber cover to wrap shock body & dangle to bottom & held up with zip ties.

I wonder if any of the rear "huggers" would prevent this? Time to have a closer look at those for the X.

*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi Catfish - yes, the 2019 model shock has a different shape/length/bottom mounting to the previous generation model.

Whichever brand you end up choosing, it will have to be specifically for the 2019-on model.

Jenny x

Ok, very different shock. Thanks. :-)

Any other 2019 owners with a new shock wanna give us a review?

Thanks,

Catfish ...

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 06:20:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by catfish [+]

Didn't realize the Stage 1 shock comes with modified links. Did seat height stay the same as oem?

My Caponord had the problem of too-much offroad crud getting to exposed shock shaft. I ended up making a rubber cover to wrap shock body & dangle to bottom & held up with zip ties.

I wonder if any of the rear "huggers" would prevent this? Time to have a closer look at those for the X.

Hi Catfish - for info. the RR LEVEL 1 shock comes with a replacement billet linkage knuckle, but it is the same overall dimension [and therefore travel/seat-height] as the OEM, it just needed to be a slightly different shape where the shock mounts so that the shock body can disassembled should you wish to change the rear spring for a different rate (in comparison, the OEM shock is pressed together at the factory).

If you plan to ride off-road at all, I would use a [neoprene] Shock-Sock or similar as Japes suggests, rather than a hugger - as there is a danger a hugger would clog with mud or get broken if you jam a rock in there, particularly if you choose to fit a slightly taller profile tyre too.

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Altrincham
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
This might be useful it's for a pre 2019 but I would think it's pretty much the same once the panels are removed. 

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
R&G Shock Sock for me - as per JMo advice.

Does the job brilliantly and cant get bunged up...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage