Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CB500X 2019  (Read 654 times)

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Altrincham
CB500X 2019
« on: January 28, 2020, 07:06:13 PM »
I thought this might be of interest, it go's into a lot more detail of the spec  for instance the internal structure and engineering is taken directly from the CBR1000RR.

https://hondanews.eu/eu/et/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/155720/2019-honda-cb500x
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:06:57 PM by johnthebigadv »

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: CB500X 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »
Thanks - - those are some good details on the 2019+ upgrades.

Im surprised at the minimal discussion about the slipper clutch, which seems like a big-deal upgrade to me.  Instead, only passing mention.

The list of available accessories includes fog lights, which I have not seen in the US.  Are oem foglights available in europe?

4. Accessories

A range of Genuine Honda Accessories are available for the CB500X. They include:

Centre stand

Side wind deflectors

Knuckle guards

Heated grips

35L top box

Rear carrier

Pannier mounts

Pannier cases

Tubular fairing protector frames

Fog lights

Tank bag

Seat bag

ACC charging socket

Smoked screen

Wheel stripe

Tank Pad

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnthebigadv [+]
I thought this might be of interest, it go's into a lot more detail of the spec  for instance the internal structure and engineering is taken directly from the CBR1000RR.

https://hondanews.eu/eu/et/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/155720/2019-honda-cb500x

Remember this is a press release... where wording can be purposely ambiguous to add glamour to something otherwise quite mundane - for example "engine architecture mirrors the CBR1000RR" does not mean it has exactly the same components, even though the word 'mirror' strongly implies it.

Similarly, phrases such as "the piston shape is based on those used in the CBR1000RR..." and "the triangle proportion of crankshaft, main shaft and counter shaft is very similar to that of Honda's four cylinder RR engines", could also describe pretty much every modern [Honda] motorcycle engine, while the 'internal relief structure' of the oil pump, and gearshift 'arm structure and link mechanism' are going to be common across a whole range of other Honda motorcycle engines too.

As I say, I'm not dismissing what has been said at all - as you say, it offers more detail than you typically find in a magazine article etc. - rather I'm just point out that the way it's been said strongly suggests a performance linage with their flagship, which is as relevant in the real word as shared components and architecture are to other models in their range too.

I used to write this kind of thing for a living ;o)

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:56:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Thanks - - those are some good details on the 2019+ upgrades.

Im surprised at the minimal discussion about the slipper clutch, which seems like a big-deal upgrade to me.  Instead, only passing mention.

The list of available accessories includes fog lights, which I have not seen in the US.  Are oem foglights available in europe?

Hi VA - this is a link to the Accessory brochure from Honda UK (the CB500X stuff is towards the end), and yes, OEM fog-lights are listed... you'll balk at the price though I imagine!

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/accessory-brochures/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1445418512/textColumn/richtextdownload_c92/file.res/Adventure%20Category%202019%20-%20Motorcycle%20Accessories%20Brochure%2025.04.pdf

Jx
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:58:40 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:12:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi VA - this is a link to the Accessory brochure from Honda UK (the CB500X stuff is towards the end), and yes, OEM fog-lights are listed... you'll balk at the price though I imagine!

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/accessory-brochures/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1445418512/textColumn/richtextdownload_c92/file.res/Adventure%20Category%202019%20-%20Motorcycle%20Accessories%20Brochure%2025.04.pdf

Jx

Crikey!  On my small screen I couldn't tell If those were euros or pounds sterling, but regardless 840 of either is plain ridiculous. 

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:26:15 PM »
Crikey!  On my small screen I couldn't tell If those were euros or pounds sterling, but regardless 840 of either is plain ridiculous.
They are 840 pounds. Turning this lights on should be something really special...

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »

I agree, and it would be pretty ridiculous even in CAN dollars, never mind US dollars too!

It seems that in some instances, OEM accessories seemed to be priced by picking the number out of thin air... and certainly I've also noticed a significant price difference between OEM spare/replacement parts between the US and UK market too...

Keeping my own CB500X in the US (and living here too now), I often make recommendations on parts and how good value they are based on the US prices, only to find those reading back in the UK and the rest of Europe wondering what the hell I'm going on about sometimes!

Jenny x

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 12:22:01 AM »
Yes, you've got to love the blurb on stuff like 'the piston shape is based on that of the CBR1000RR'. So its round and goes up and down in a cylinder?!!

The 'slipper' clutch is another load of codswallop. When I was blasting my 2013 X along some back roads I can't ever remember thinking 'you know what this could do with, a slipper clutch'. I read what people say about why I need one but I disagree - I dont need one! All it seems to do is add weight, stick out a lot more and rattle like a Mini with worn idler gears on tick over!! Only advantage I can see is a lighter lever action.

But all in all the 2019 is a big improvement on the 2013 so I'm happy!

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 01:40:17 AM »
Manufacturers  Prices for "extras" are always exorbitant I think they are priced like that so dealers can give a discount & the punter thinks he's got a good deal, it's Like Recommend Retail Price, it's means nothing, the accessory socket is priced at 75, but in real life it's 25, unless 75 is the fitted price, even then it would be expensive? When you buy a new bike negotiate in the "extras" just be cheeky it usually works!!. 
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 07:42:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Remember this is a press release... where wording can be purposely ambiguous to add glamour to something otherwise quite mundane - for example "engine architecture mirrors the CBR1000RR" does not mean it has exactly the same components, even though the word 'mirror' strongly implies it.

Similarly, phrases such as "the piston shape is based on those used in the CBR1000RR..." and "the triangle proportion of crankshaft, main shaft and counter shaft is very similar to that of Honda's four cylinder RR engines", could also describe pretty much every modern [Honda] motorcycle engine, while the 'internal relief structure' of the oil pump, and gearshift 'arm structure and link mechanism' are going to be common across a whole range of other Honda motorcycle engines too.

As I say, I'm not dismissing what has been said at all - as you say, it offers more detail than you typically find in a magazine article etc. - rather I'm just point out that the way it's been said strongly suggests a performance linage with their flagship, which is as relevant in the real word as shared components and architecture are to other models in their range too.

I used to write this kind of thing for a living ;o)

Jenny x

LOL. We might have different views sometimes, but I must say I love the finesse of your communication. ;-) As a non-native English speaker I miss that subtleness.
To add a bit to this story. (from someone who is both an ex-honda employee, and working in technology product management)
The original design of the cb(r)500 engine was made very similar to the cbr600rr. It is in fact more than similar. To the point that it shares both bore and bore spacing, block manufacturing process (cast in liners), rod hardening method, combustion chamber shape, etc. I guess (and this is not confirmed ever) that they might even used some of the decommissioned cbr500 machinery to start the manufacturing in Thailand.
The similarity is so close, that I even use cbr600rr pistons from an early 600r block to raise compression of the 500r compression ratio for racing applications.
These haven't changed with the 19 model year.
As the 600rr is not in production anymore, and the 1000rr is the flagship bike which is being developed and communicated actively - so they use it as a feromone trap to pull attention of customers and leverage on the marketing hype around the new 1000rr.

Recent Topics